Page 945 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 445845895935943944945946947955995104514451945 ... LastLast
Results 18,881 to 18,900 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Youze guyz finally made me buy/try this. I actually bought 3 less than a month ago and included 1 in the 30 beers for 30 years packages for our daughter 2 weeks ago and the second as a trader with our son. Guess who drank the third one tonight?

Pineapple Thief (canned on 10/17/missing numbers)-Southern Pines Brewing Company

Pint can with some very interesting artwork that was about $4.75 after a 15% case discount at the new shop in town, Falls Village Wine and Beer.

Pour was a very hazy orange-yellow with a generous, foamy head. Damn, Tripping William is right (again) as this stuff smells like Dole Pineapple Juice and tastes like it, too, with a splash of Coco Lopez (coconut added) and vanilla (added). Mouthfeel is smooth from the added oats and the sweetness is from the lactose, hence they labeled it a fruited NEIPA. Some additional fruit/juicy flavors (a bit of grapefruit and mango?) are derived from the Citra, Idaho 7 and Mosaic hops. The IBUs stated on the can are 38 and it was minimally bitter. ABV is 6.5%. Excellent selection.
    SoPines has upped its game considerably, IMO (no pretense of "H"). Their White Russian imperial stout is really good, and their hefeweizen is solid (super-refreshing, and more orange-and-coriander than banana-and-clove). I'm not sure I'll ever bring myself to choose their Man of Law or Duck Hook again (not terrible, just nothing noteworthy), but they now definitely have some beers worth revisiting. Pineapple Thief is definitely one of them.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Heist Brewing--Suggestions?

I have seen some reviews here of Heist offerings, but am curious whether any have had recent experience there. That's my initial meeting-point for the client that I'm taking to the ACC Tournament in Charlotte on Thursday.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    SoPines has upped its game considerably, IMO (no pretense of "H"). Their White Russian imperial stout is really good, and their hefeweizen is solid (super-refreshing, and more orange-and-coriander than banana-and-clove). I'm not sure I'll ever bring myself to choose their Man of Law or Duck Hook again (not terrible, just nothing noteworthy), but they now definitely have some beers worth revisiting. Pineapple Thief is definitely one of them.
    I wish you hadn't mentioned that one as it's on tap at the nearly new beer/wine shop I mentioned in my Pineapple Thief post last PM . Now I'm gonna have to go buy a 12 ounce serving of it this week.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

From 6/5/18:

Jitterbug (draft)-Heist Brewing

A coffee-infused IPA? Yep. I had a bit of hesitation ordering this without a beer list description/stat sheet but I'm a beer adventurer so I said what the heck and asked for a pint. Clear and golden-yellow with a small head with scents of pine and citrus and upfront tastes of the same. Where's the coffee? That appeared on the back end of the sensations at first as the beer was cold. As it warmed over 15-20 minutes and after a few bites of a shared Margherita flatbread with arugula and a balsamic reduction, the coffee became more assertive but not over-powering. I'll guess IBUs of 50 and ABV of 6-7%. Maybe not the best pairing but certainly worthy of the pint.

And, that will wrap up a very enjoyable Saturday in Charlotte.
    From 8/25/18:

Hive Fives (draft)-Heist Brewing

Drink sorta local!

I actually paid for this half pint .

Listed on the beer board as a honey blonde ale (I like blondes but don't tell Mrs. dd ), it was surprisingly cloudy with a sunshine hue. Nose was mildly floral and slightly sweet. Tastes matched the aromas fairly closely but not quite as sweet as I might have imagined. There were also some faint orange and spice flavors (coriander?). I'll guess IBUs around 10 and the ABV was 5.5% so a wonderful beer on a warm evening in Raleigh. More enjoyable than Mother Earth's Blackbeard's Booty, the hoppy blonde ale I reviewed from my June (?) beer club 4 pack.
    I have seen some reviews here of Heist offerings, but am curious whether any have had recent experience there. That's my initial meeting-point for the client that I'm taking to the ACC Tournament in Charlotte on Thursday.

Thanks in advance.
    That's all I got for ya. I'm not sure I've seen many of their packaged products in the Triangle. Hope that helps. We'll certainly be thirstily awaiting your report.

Thanks in advance.
    I just discovered this but it might be too "dangerous" for you (or anyone for that matter).

https://www.charlottefive.com/drinks...ail-extension/

If only you had posted that here...

<wipes tear>
    Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

2. Will be in Columbus Easter weekend. I heard the Columbus Philharmonic is having a fabulous concert on 4/20 with Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto and Beethoven's 7th Symphony. Maybe we'll see you there. Might have to have lunch and a flight at 450 or ZwanzigZ if we're able to arrive early enough.

3. If you *happen* to attend this, please hoist one (several?) for me as we'll be a @#$% week too early.

https://events.ontaptickets.com/e/deathandtaxes2019
    We will be attending the 4/20 concert. I will try to sneak in CBS!

I had not seen the Taxman announcement. Will have to check the schedule...

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post

LOL.

We'll be in the conductor's family seats, 2nd row mezzanine, on the aisle, to the left as you enter.

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post

Bet it will be cloudy that day.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Well, he did mention in another post that one of the local breweries, 450 North Brewing Company, is producing a lot of hazy IPAs.

You “bet”? Are you pot committed to that bet??

You “bet”? Are you pot committed to that bet??
    Sssh, someone199 *might* be reading this thread.

Sssh, someone199 *might* be reading this thread.
    Maybe, but I used the phrase correctly. And if he gets mad anyway, I’ll just buy him something from Dewey’s to smooth is over.

Tranquility Base(unreadable dots/smudge on bottom of can)-Land Grant Brewing Company

Not sure whether to put this here or in the thread below:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...3360-Apollo-11

"It’s been 50 years since Apollo 11 took flight. This year we’re raising a toast on behalf of all mankind, to those intrepid adventurers who took us to the Moon and back. This Black IPA is fittingly brewed with some of the best hops here on Earth: Apollo, CTZ, Eureka, Cashmere, and Cascade."

This was a 12 ounce can tradr from our son a couple weeks ago. Vigorous pour into a pint glass showed me an opaque, dark brown elixir with a generous tan head. Smelled like milk chocolate-dipped, candied grapefruit slices, rind and all, accompanied by a cup of fresh, dark roast coffee. Tastes mirrored the aromas along with some overly-toasted pumpernickel bread. Bitterness was hoppy and roasty with a bit of dark caramel. IBUs at 55. ABV was 8.2% so it's really an imperial black IPA which I've also seen called a dark cascadian ale or even a baltic porter. This was quite good and I think there are 3 left and one or two could enter the transfer portal later this month or next . From their website:

HOPS: APOLLO, CTZ, EUREKA, CASHMERE, CASCADE
    MALTS: MIDNIGHT WHEAT
    AVAILABILITY: FEBRUARY 2019

The date above tells me it was fresh. The all caps are on Land Grant-I don't feel like editing.

Pfft. Been done for centuries:

"The brewing of bock beers is a Bavarian tradition going back hundreds of years. This type of beer was invented by the monks of the Paulaner monastery in Munich, whose brewing activity is documented as far back as 1634. Starting in 1651, they brewed a particularly nutritional and smooth ‘liquid bread’ as preparation for the strict Lenten period."

I’m pretty sure I jokingly suggested doing this one year.

ABV and careful consumption monitoring would be required to avoid unintended consequences.

Slightly dated, but a nice piece about some nearby/local beer history and a really, really good brewer/y of one-off beers:

http://allaboutbeer.com/article/ryan-witter-merithew/

Review of another of his beers forthcoming tonight.

Captain Boots (can't remember date and Mrs. dd recycled can today)-Casita Ceverceria

More nearby/local!

From Fountain, NC, population 425 (no typo ).

Easily one of the best brown ales I've ever had, including DFH Indian Brown Ale, Raison D'Etre, Raison D'Extra and Palo Santo Marron.

A vigorous pour from a very pretty 16 ounce can showed me a dark, dark brown elixir with a frothy, tan head. Enticing aromas of coffee (added), cinnamon (added) and milk chocolate (not added). Tastes more of the same with nutty and dark brown sugar overtones (Muscavado sugar added), herbal/earthy hops (unnamed) and a smooth, smooth mouthfeel (golden naked oats added). Can't find the IBU stats so I'll guess 30. ABV is 7.5% so it's technically an imperial brown ale. I think this was about $4 after my 15% mixed case discount last month. I'd certainly buy this again and if anyone in eastern/central NC sees it at their favorite specialty beer store, it should be purchased without hesitation.

Captain Boots (can't remember date and Mrs. dd recycled can today)-Casita Ceverceria

More nearby/local!

From Fountain, NC, population 425 (no typo ).

Easily one of the best brown ales I've ever had, including DFH Indian Brown Ale, Raison D'Etre, Raison D'Extra and Palo Santo Marron.

A vigorous pour from a very pretty 16 ounce can showed me a dark, dark brown elixir with a frothy, tan head. Enticing aromas of coffee (added), cinnamon (added) and milk chocolate (not added). Tastes more of the same with nutty and dark brown sugar overtones (Muscavado sugar added), herbal/earthy hops (unnamed) and a smooth, smooth mouthfeel (golden naked oats added). Can't find the IBU stats so I'll guess 30. ABV is 7.5% so it's technically an imperial brown ale. I think this was about $4 after my 15% mixed case discount last month. I'd certainly buy this again and if anyone in eastern/central NC sees it at their favorite specialty beer store, it should be purchased without hesitation.
    You *knew* this was coming:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/73/

How many have you sipped?