Page 1080 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 80580980103010701078107910801081108210901130118015802080 ... LastLast
Results 21,581 to 21,600 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

The devildeacs rated our 3 tastings:

3. Franz

2. Oktoberfest

1. Munsterfest

There wasn't that big a difference among the 3 but the FFF entry had a bit more flavor and body than the other two. Again, my only regret is only being able to sample three. I do have two or three of each if anyone is willing to trade an extra of what they sampled today (Foothills? Clawhammer? Deep River? Southern Pines?) during a meet-up next week .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I *think* we sampled more goses in August than we did Septemberfests today.

Many thanks, Tripping William!

Septemberfest was a huge hit in our house.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    LOL. You and killerleft.
    Well... I stand by my assessment, but I was swaying slightly, I think.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

DBR Virtual Pub - 9/21/2019 - Septemberfest

Oktoberfest - Foothills - 5.8 % ABV - 29 IBU

Dark amber with orange tint. Nice toasty malted aroma.

The full malt with caramel taste of this one is the best I've tasted all day. It's nicely balanced with some vanilla notes. Nice crisp bitter finish. Creamy mouthfeel. It's easily drinkable but has more flavor and depth than most of the others. Fuse Category 2.

Ranking mine:
    1. Foothills
    2. Clawhammer
    3. Sierra Nevada
    4. Narragansett

DNP - Coach's decision - Sam Adams

DBR Virtual Pub - Overtime - Septemberfest

Octoberfest - Sam Adams - 5.3 % ABV - 16 IBU

Fun pour. Orange clear brown with a thin white head that recedes fast. But when you tilt the glass, it leaves lacing behind that foreshadows an impressive mouthfeel.

Aroma is also great - I can smell cinnamon spices and light malt.

The mouthfeel was as advertised - medium, rich, with nice carbonation.

The taste for me was a bit of a letdown. But in fairness the last beer I had was the Foothills which was by far my favorite of the day. Tough act to follow. This starts lightly bitter, changes to bready malt (but average), with increasing bitterness. I thought the sweetness and faint spice were notes, and just not balanced as well as some of the others I tasted today.

Like I said above, lots to like about this beer and Fuse Category 2. I just enjoyed most of the others even more.

1. Foothills
    2. Clawhammer
    3. Sierra Nevada
    4. Sam Adams
    5. Narragansett

DNP Coaches decision - Bell's Octoberfest. No double overtime, but this will get a chance to challenge another Clawhammer another day.

I learned at dinner tonight that Clawhammer is a style of banjo playing using a downward motion of the thumb/fingers. Well done Asheville Highland.

Fun day!

What beer style awaits us in October accFan?

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I did pick up the new BBA Sexual Chocolate from Foothills today thanks to T-Will's heads up. They're $20 a bottle.

If anybody wants to claim one for trade, I'll save it for you. It is an imperial stout with coffee. Devildeacs have claimed 2 bottles, but I have a few more.

Great call on the Oktoberfest/Septemberfest in advance Tripping Bill! I really enjoy them and fuse's article confirms they are perfect for September. Thanks for hosting!
    Trade one of your 2019’s for a 2017 BBA?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Trade one of your 2019’s for a 2017 BBA?
    Done.

Oil of Aphrodite-Jackie O's Pub and Brewery

Drink local!

BBA imperial stout aged on locally sourced black walnuts.

Shared 375 ml bottle with son of devildeac Friday night. Thanks!

Poured into snifters. Color was almost black with a thin tan head. Nose of dark chocolate, bourbon and toasted nuts. Mouthfeel was oily/viscous and tastes of more dark chocolate, black strap molasses, hints of coffee (not added), roasted/candied walnuts with warming bourbon from start to finish. I'll guess IBUs about 50 based on the RIS style and the ABV was 11.5%. Paired with some bakery fresh chocolate chip cookies. I don't know what he paid for this but I greatly enjoyed it and understand even more now with my 2nd or 3rd Jackie O's product why accfanfrom 1970 reviews these so highly. Easily Fuse Cat 3.

DBR Virtual Pub - Overtime - Septemberfest

Octoberfest - Sam Adams - 5.3 % ABV - 16 IBU

Fun pour. Orange clear brown with a thin white head that recedes fast. But when you tilt the glass, it leaves lacing behind that foreshadows an impressive mouthfeel.

Aroma is also great - I can smell cinnamon spices and light malt.

The mouthfeel was as advertised - medium, rich, with nice carbonation.

The taste for me was a bit of a letdown. But in fairness the last beer I had was the Foothills which was by far my favorite of the day. Tough act to follow. This starts lightly bitter, changes to bready malt (but average), with increasing bitterness. I thought the sweetness and faint spice were notes, and just not balanced as well as some of the others I tasted today.

Like I said above, lots to like about this beer and Fuse Category 2. I just enjoyed most of the others even more.

1. Foothills
    2. Clawhammer
    3. Sierra Nevada
    4. Sam Adams
    5. Narragansett

DNP Coaches decision - Bell's Octoberfest. No double overtime, but this will get a chance to challenge another Clawhammer another day.

I learned at dinner tonight that Clawhammer is a style of banjo playing using a downward motion of the thumb/fingers. Well done Asheville Highland.

Fun day!

What beer style awaits us in October accFan?
    The coach chose his players well on game day. The Bell's Octoberfest was very average. It was fine, but I'd rank it at #5 behind the Sam Adams and ahead of the Narragansett.

From last PM:

Black Mangrove-Wolf's Ridge Brewing Company

Drink local!

Packaged on-May/16/2019
    Style-dark sour ale aged in red wine and bourbon barrels
    Format-750 ml capped bottle (shared 3 ways in snifters)
    Head-minimal
    Appearance-dark brown with hints of ruby; cloudy
    Nose-wet hay; dark fruits; red wine; funk
    Mouthfeel-bubbly
    Tastes-very complex; dark chocolate and caramel; raisins, dates and figs; wet blanket; quite vinous; minimal bourbon; wet oak; red berries
    IBUs-who cares? ()
    ABV-6.5%
    Fermentation-Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus
    Overall impression-an outstanding mixed sour/mixed barrel-aged beer and rather unexpected from this brewery, now above Zaftig as my favorite Columbus brewery
    Ymm, Beer rating-Fuse Cat 3

I'd side-by-side this with any Brewery Bhavana sour I've had to date and would have great difficulty picking a winner. Should have put a couple in the cooler. Very high praise.

From last PM:

The Shape of Things to Come-Wolf's Ridge Brewing

More local! Thanks to devildeac2 for his selection and treat!

Style-blended barrel-aged sour ale with blackberry, cranberry and Montmorency tart cherry
    Format-750 ml bottle (shared 3 ways from snifters)
    Appearance-cloudy; medium brown-red
    Head-thin
    Nose-berries and cherries, oh, my; apple brandy; mild vinegar
    Mouthfeel-tingly; tart
    Tastes-lots and lots of berries; brandy; lots and lots of cherries; Sour Patch Kids; wet wood;
    IBUs-20 (?); again, who cares ()
    ABV-9.6%
    Overall impression-We all thought the Black Mangrove was outstanding. This was better.
    Ymm, Beer rating-Fuse Cat 3, though I might contact killerleft and accfanfrom1970 and start a write-in campaign to fuse for a higher level rating

From last PM:

The Shape of Things to Come-Wolf's Ridge Brewing

More local! Thanks to devildeac2 for his selection and treat!

Style-blended barrel-aged sour ale with blackberry, cranberry and Montmorency tart cherry
    Format-750 ml bottle (shared 3 ways from snifters)
    Appearance-cloudy; medium brown-red
    Head-thin
    Nose-berries and cherries, oh, my; apple brandy; mild vinegar
    Mouthfeel-tingly; tart
    Tastes-lots and lots of berries; brandy; lots and lots of cherries; Sour Patch Kids; wet wood;
    IBUs-20 (?); again, who cares ()
    ABV-9.6%
    Overall impression-We all thought the Black Mangrove was outstanding. This was better.
    Ymm, Beer rating-Fuse Cat 3, though I might contact killerleft and accfanfrom1970 and start a write-in campaign to fuse for a higher level rating
    I believe in the KISS principle.
    3 choices, less to remember, easier to decide.
    To each their own! 😀

The coach chose his players well on game day. The Bell's Octoberfest was very average. It was fine, but I'd rank it at #5 behind the Sam Adams and ahead of the Narragansett.
    This is why its fun to read others’ opinions.

Without rehashing the six Octoberfests I had, and the three I did not, one I did not have was Sam Adams. Memory says savory malt bomb, and would have been in my top 3, with a legit shot at my #1 overall.

More from Pinehurst Brewing Company

A day-trip to the Sandhills yesterday, with a terrific lunch at Pinehurst Brewing Company. Their Texas brisket was delicious! So were these beers (a taster flight of four, plus a pint of the last one):

(1) Golden Age: An American blonde ale. "Brewed with Amarillo hops, light and crushable with soft, pillow mouthfeel, crisp finish and slight bitterness." Ordered to appease Mrs. Tripping, who doesn't like IPAs and is so-so on saisons. 4.7% ABV. Cat 1.

(2) Helios Tears: An amber saison. "Nice blend of spicy phenols and sweet dark fruit." I thought this one was quite tasty. 5.2% ABV. Cat 2.

(3) Clean Grooves: An NEIPA that checks in at 6.8% ABV. Nice hazy yellow. "Brewed and dry hopped with simcoe, mosaic, and citra. Note overload with pungent berries and tropical fruit." Some nice dankness in the flavor profile on this one. High Cat 2.

(4) Cathartic Danger: A hazy DIPA, sporting 8.1% ABV. "Brewed with Nelson Sauvin & Hellertau Blanc. White wine grape like flavor derived from these two hop varietals." My favorite of the bunch. Packs a punch, and some bitterness, but the wine undertones balance it out really well. Cat 3 for me.

(5) Thistle Juice: Another NEIPA, at 6.7% ABV. "Brewed with Lemon Drop, Vic Secret, and Nelson Sauvin hops for a bouquet of white grape and lemon pith-like sweetness." Hazy like an NEIPA, but taste profile more like a standard pale ale. In other words, Mrs. Tripping didn't blanch at this one, and actually thought it was semi-drinkable. I like it quite a lot, but probably liked the Clean Grooves better. Solid Cat 2.

Well done, PBC!

Winston Salem friends,

I'm looking for a decent bar to watch the football game this Friday. Any suggestions? I'm not too concerned with food, we will have dinner before the game. Mostly looking for a decent beer selection and a TV.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Winston Salem friends,

I'm looking for a decent bar to watch the football game this Friday. Any suggestions? I'm not too concerned with food, we will have dinner before the game. Mostly looking for a decent beer selection and a TV.

Cheers!
    Some options (in no particular order but, candidly, from someone who tends to watch football at home):

(1) Either of the Foothills locations (pub downtown on Fourth Street or their tasting room off of Jonestown).

(2) Camel City BBQ

(3) Quiet Pint Tavern

(4) The other breweries (Wise Man, Fiddlin' Fish, Incendiary).

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    A day-trip to the Sandhills yesterday, with a terrific lunch at Pinehurst Brewing Company. Their Texas brisket was delicious! So were these beers (a taster flight of four, plus a pint of the last one):

(1) Golden Age: An American blonde ale. "Brewed with Amarillo hops, light and crushable with soft, pillow mouthfeel, crisp finish and slight bitterness." Ordered to appease Mrs. Tripping, who doesn't like IPAs and is so-so on saisons. 4.7% ABV. Cat 1.

(2) Helios Tears: An amber saison. "Nice blend of spicy phenols and sweet dark fruit." I thought this one was quite tasty. 5.2% ABV. Cat 2.

(3) Clean Grooves: An NEIPA that checks in at 6.8% ABV. Nice hazy yellow. "Brewed and dry hopped with simcoe, mosaic, and citra. Note overload with pungent berries and tropical fruit." Some nice dankness in the flavor profile on this one. High Cat 2.

(4) Cathartic Danger: A hazy DIPA, sporting 8.1% ABV. "Brewed with Nelson Sauvin & Hellertau Blanc. White wine grape like flavor derived from these two hop varietals." My favorite of the bunch. Packs a punch, and some bitterness, but the wine undertones balance it out really well. Cat 3 for me.

(5) Thistle Juice: Another NEIPA, at 6.7% ABV. "Brewed with Lemon Drop, Vic Secret, and Nelson Sauvin hops for a bouquet of white grape and lemon pith-like sweetness." Hazy like an NEIPA, but taste profile more like a standard pale ale. In other words, Mrs. Tripping didn't blanch at this one, and actually thought it was semi-drinkable. I like it quite a lot, but probably liked the Clean Grooves better. Solid Cat 2.

Well done, PBC!
    I'd say I'd start looking for some of those, but, you know how much beer was in my car at 100 PM today.

I'd say I'd start looking for some of those, but, you know how much beer was in my car at 100 PM today.
    Just a little bit, although I did take *some* off your hands. Good to see you. And you probably search for PBC beer in vain. I *think* it is sold only at their tasting room/brewery located in the old Pinehurst steam house.

ATTN: Tripping William, richardjackson199 and accfanfrom1970

The Richmond delivery is now complete. I believe it is now open season for tastings/reviews of all the libations.

A loud shout-out again to accfan for his tasting, err, taking several for the team and his delivery a couple weeks ago!