Page 384 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 2843343743823833843853863944344848841384 ... LastLast
Results 7,661 to 7,680 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I had this when Devildeac came up here. I'm with you though, Fuse, no Belgian notes for me either.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Interesting as I did not get any of the Belgian notes at all- blind I may have guessed it to be a Stone IPA.
    Recognizing completely that individual palates can differ, for me there was just an underlying, fairly subtle yeastiness/breadiness that took some of the floral and citrus flavors out of the hops. Don't get me wrong: This was definitely more "IPA" than "Belgian tripel" (by a long shot), and maybe I wouldn't be saying the same things if I tasted it blind, but I detected something in the flavor profile that did sit well with me. In fairness, I probably drank this a bit too warm, and would be curious to retry it after it had been chilling for longer in the refrigerator.

YMMV.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Recognizing completely that individual palates can differ, for me there was just an underlying, fairly subtle yeastiness/breadiness that took some of the floral and citrus flavors out of the hops. Don't get me wrong: This was definitely more "IPA" than "Belgian tripel" (by a long shot), and maybe I wouldn't be saying the same things if I tasted it blind, but I detected something in the flavor profile that did sit well with me. In fairness, I probably drank this a bit too warm, and would be curious to retry it after it had been chilling for longer in the refrigerator.

YMMV.
    Could not spork you, to me this is the best part of Ymm, Beer -learning from others' perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Slacktivist-Three Floyds/Sun King

This is the 3rd new beer style (sort of) to which I've been introduced in the last 12 months. The first was Graetzer (oder Grätzer) at a tailgate last fall, courtesy of August West, with a bomber of the Three Floyds/New Belgium collabeeration. The second was Gose, from reviews by fuse here. Last night and tonight, I'm dividing a bomber of a Doppel Koelsch (oder Kölsch) that ricks68 was kind enough to purchase (and re-sell to me but don't tell the NC ABC officials) in the Annapolis in early April. Think of Mother Earth Endless River (Kinston, NC) and double the malts and hops and you have a doppel ko(e)lsch ale. Smells completely floral and tastes like a liquid bouquet of spring flowers with some underripe apples and pears with just a bit of a tang at the finish. Light gold pour with a light, creamy head. A standard kolsch is about 10-20 IBUs with the ABV typically <5%. This is 32 IBUs and 7.3% ABV and would be fabulous with fruits, lighter soups and seafood main courses.

Attachment 5169
    I think double kolsch is a fictional style- how do you take a light, enjoyable easy to drink style and make it doubly easy to enjoy?

A little bit of lemon and apple juice on the nose, a cloudy pour that is also a pale gold.

Pretty fabulous actually.
    A burst of sweet malt with a crisp, mildly bitter finish.

I do feel a bit excluded from their target audience, "A Hoosier beer for Hoosiers" is right on the label.
    Almost makes me wish Fullsteam would brew a Blue Devil beer for Blue Devils, and only sell to those with a current a Duke ID or alumni registry (another business idea... ;-) .

A huge thank you to ricks68 and devildeac.

I never had anything Three Floyds before, I am looking forward to the others ricks68 and devildeac collected on my behalf.

Excellent beer- thanks guys!

Perfect Day?

Fullsteam Summer Basil on draft with lunch, and Festina Peche after dinner.

Not sure it gets better than that!

YMMV.
    I don't know what info you got when you bought your growler, but here's a description from WW's Funkatorium draft sheet (this was listed under NON-FUNKY) when the devildeacs joined the ricks68 party of 2 and mattman91 a few weeks ago on the South Slope in Asheville:

"This 9.5% abv double IPA was born from the desire to showcase what our combined breweries do best: hoppy West Coast IPAs and traditional Belgian ales. The brewers took 20% of a Belgian Triple, aged in red wine barrels (that once housed tequila) and blended it with 80% double IPA. The result is an unexpected and unique collab that we are truly excited about and can't wait for you to try."

Now I wish I had an 8 oz pour of this instead of my 1-2 ounce taster so I could participate in this discussion. However, I had reached my limit by that time and didn't need another high gravity ale, having just finished an 8-10 oz pour of Oblivion, an 8.7% ABV sour red ale aged on blackberries and dates that I though was fabulous and reviewed somewhere upthread. I'm with fuse on this as one of the reasons this is a great thread. I could certainly see why the triple was overpowered by the IIPA in this concoction.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I think double kolsch is a fictional style- how do you take a light, enjoyable easy to drink style and make it doubly easy to enjoy?

A little bit of lemon and apple juice on the nose, a cloudy pour that is also a pale gold.

Pretty fabulous actually.
    A burst of sweet malt with a crisp, mildly bitter finish.

I do feel a bit excluded from their target audience, "A Hoosier beer for Hoosiers" is right on the label.
    Almost makes me wish Fullsteam would brew a Blue Devil beer for Blue Devils, and only sell to those with a current a Duke ID or alumni registry (another business idea... ;-) .

A huge thank you to ricks68 and devildeac.

I never had anything Three Floyds before, I am looking forward to the others ricks68 and devildeac collected on my behalf.

Excellent beer- thanks guys!
    The Graetzer you reviewed upthread was a New Belgium-Three Floyds collaboration from their LoF series.

The Bruery Or Xata

Supposedly based on the drink horchata (which I never have had but suspect after drinking this I might really enjoy).

Nose is vanilla bean.
    Tastes like a tangy cream soda.

I had this on draft at Tyler's some time ago, could not find it up thread.

I am a big fan of the Bruery and Or Xata does not disappoint.

Buy it if you can find it, outstanding.

I don't know what info you got when you bought your growler, but here's a description from WW's Funkatorium draft sheet (this was listed under NON-FUNKY) when the devildeacs joined the ricks68 party of 2 and mattman91 a few weeks ago on the South Slope in Asheville:

"This 9.5% abv double IPA was born from the desire to showcase what our combined breweries do best: hoppy West Coast IPAs and traditional Belgian ales. The brewers took 20% of a Belgian Triple, aged in red wine barrels (that once housed tequila) and blended it with 80% double IPA. The result is an unexpected and unique collab that we are truly excited about and can't wait for you to try."

Now I wish I had an 8 oz pour of this instead of my 1-2 ounce taster so I could participate in this discussion. However, I had reached my limit by that time and didn't need another high gravity ale, having just finished an 8-10 oz pour of Oblivion, an 8.7% ABV sour red ale aged on blackberries and dates that I though was fabulous and reviewed somewhere upthread. I'm with fuse on this as one of the reasons this is a great thread. I could certainly see why the triple was overpowered by the IIPA in this concoction.
    If you're interested, I've got a 22oz bomber waiting to be shared and enjoyed. AW.

Mine was from a 22-ounce bomber that I saw out of the corner of my eye at our local Whole Foods. It piqued my interest given my recent trip to San Diego and what I know (not a lot, but some) about Wicked Weed. "Unexpected and unique" is an apt description.

Agree completely with you & fuse about one of the key values of this thread being breadth & diversity of experience & opinions. Makes for great reading & a treasure-trove of knowledge & observations.

Mine was from a 22-ounce bomber that I saw out of the corner of my eye at our local Whole Foods. It piqued my interest given my recent trip to San Diego and what I know (not a lot, but some) about Wicked Weed. "Unexpected and unique" is an apt description.

Agree completely with you & fuse about one of the key values of this thread being breadth & diversity of experience & opinions. Makes for great reading & a treasure-trove of knowledge & observations.
    Absolutely! My favorite (off-season) thread on the internet.

I'm now also a fan

Hazelnut Brown Nectar-Rogue Beers

Purchase inspired by dakekay1971, brewed by Rogue Nation. It's likely been 10, maybe 15 years since I've had this beer and I still like it. The ingredients are a bit strange as they list coffee as one of them, which I can believe, but omit hazelnut extract/flavor from that list, yet it's noted on the bottle. Poured a medium to dark brown with a latte-colored, finger and a half head, the aromas were nutty, espresso and chocolate (none added, I think) with tastes of the same. Kinda like a thin, hazelnut coffee stirred with a spoon made of milk chocolate. Little bitterness here with IBUs of 33 from Rogue Revolution and Independent hops. Plato of 14 which approximates an ABV of about 5.5%. Purchased 4 of these 12 ounce bottles at about $1.90 each, so they were a bit spendy, but certainly cheaper than $6 or $7 for a bomber. Would be great with a brisket or pork loin with a bit of sweet BBQ sauce applied sparingly. I've got 3 more to share/trade...
    When we were last in Roanoke, a friend of Mrs. Tripping ordered this beer as part of her on-tap flight. We both tasted and liked it a lot. The other day I found bombers in the cooler at our local Lowes Foods, so I picked up a couple three. We drank one of them last night after dinner. The review above is spot-on. If you like hazelnut coffee (or even hazelnut creamer in your coffee), this beer is for you.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    If you're interested, I've got a 22oz bomber waiting to be shared and enjoyed. AW.
    We might have to get together to practice beer-sharing before FB season starts.

Deesko-3 Floyds Brewing

Drink local!

Well, it was (sort of) local when ricks68 bought this for me in April when he was in the Annapolis. From a (legendary) brewery in Munster, IN, comes this Berliner Weisse beer. Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into pint glasses and shared with our son last PM as a night cap. There was a brief, fizzy head and aromas of lemon juice and rind and tart apples that tickled the senses. Appearance was a cloudy orange-yellow and tastes were SweeTarts, Sour Patch kids and Granny Smith apple juice. Once again, I though lemons were the dominant taste. There was also a bit of light brown sugariness that took the edge off the pucker. I haven't had many brews of this style but I'm guessing it was a bit malty for the style from the ABV of 6.5%. Most Berliner Weisse styles are 3-4%. Hop presence here was virtually non-existent with IBUs of 4 (no typo). This must mean 1-2 hop pellets/cones or drops of hop oil per barrel. I don't think I've had an ale with this low a number in decades. It'd be a nice opening beverage with light appetizers or with a plate of fruit or a fruit tart for dessert. Shoot, drizzle some raspberry syrup or artificial woodruff flavoring in it and make it your traditional 16th or 17th century German dessert as you lift up your lederhosen, dance a polka and shout "prosit" at the top of your lungs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_Weisse

220px-Berliner_Weisse_beer.jpg

220px-Berliner_Weisse_mit_Strohhalm.jpg

Beer Knowledge is Power

Paid for two White street Kolschs at Walnut Creek.
    What came out of the tap was not White St Kolsch.

Turned out it was Natty Greene Buckshot Amber (qualifies for yechh, beer on my list).

In a surprising turn of events I pointed out the mistake, the vendor switched tap handles and we got a repour of the White St (we did not get to keep the Natty Greene. That I am ok with that should tell you something.)

Beer knowledge for the win!

Mystery Brewing Locksley Ordinary Bitter

Picked up a four-pack of 16-ounce cans, largely to continue my efforts in collecting Ymmm-Beer-worthy selections to take to our bottle-free neighborhood pool this summer. Poured into a tulip glass in a light-gold color and a foamy white head that lingered a fair bit of time. At 3.8% ABV, with IBU at 20, it is a super-light, super-subtle beer. In other words, a suitable pool-pounder, but not much to ponder.

Brewer's notes are as follows:

"Contrary to its name, an Ordinary Bitter isn't normally all that bitter. Think of it as a Pale Ale's little cousin. This light, drinkable, British-style beer has a sweet malt body overlaid by a light floral and citrusy play of American hops, creating a refreshing quaff that you can keep going back to. Pair with woody cheddars, light salads, and warm spring afternoons."

Old Stock Ale 2015-North Coast Brewing

I think this was about $12 for the 4 pack last month with my $1.50 off each 4 or 6 pack from Total Wine last month. It's an old ale or might also be described as an English-style barleywine. Poured a dark amber with a luscious nose of dark, dried fruits, toffee and a wee bit of dark rum. Taste were moderately rummy with the expected raisins, dates, figs and toffee which matched nicely with some herbal, woody hops. Grain bill included traditional English Maris Otter malt along with some Fuggles and East Kent Goldings hops, also from England (not Finland). IBUs roll in at 34 and ABV is a hefty 11.9%, so I split this 12 ounce bottle with our son after we had our Berliner Weisse. Excellent night cap. I've got 3 left so there'll be a trader and two for cellaring over the next couple years. Now, if there was only some way I could bourbon barrel age one of those bottles...

I smell trouble with this one:

http://www.motherearthbrewing.com/beer/homegrown

Mother Earth may finally have chosen a style I choose not try. :-(

Prior to devildeac's Mother Earth post, I was musing if there are any breweries where I have tried all their offerings.

Even if you exclude rare/exotics, I expect there are very few breweries where I've tried them all.

Certainly easier for a local brewery, even though local breweries have one offs.

Tripel Overhead-Bourbon Barrel Aged-Mother Earth Brewing (Kinston, NC)

This was another 6er purchased at Total Wine last month with a $1.50 coupon, making the cost about $11-12, IIRC, far better pricing than $15 or so for a 750 ml bottle. Appeared an orange-amber in my Ommegang tulip last PM with a mildly fizzy, lacy head that didn't linger long. Orange juice and zest, brown sugar and whiskey on the aromas with tastes of ripe apricot, and a bit of clove and banana at first, followed by oak and vanilla, then whiskey at the finish. Darker and richer with more stone fruit tastes than I'd have thought from the style and from my somewhat distant memory of the original Tripel Overhead which was not BBA. I'll guess IBUs of 20 and the ABV is 9%, another dangerously sippable ale that I'd serve with fresh fruit, a mild or spicy seafood entree or a fruit tart for dessert. I'm glad to see this in a format different than the original large, expensive bottle.