Page 1807 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 807130717071757179718051806180718081809181718571907 ... LastLast
Results 36,121 to 36,140 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    After shoveling some snow, I’m taking my queue from RJ and opening the Rum Barrel Aged Frosty GBS. Seems like the perfect weather for it. Based on the rum on the nose and the delicious first sip, I’ll be napping in no time
    I absolutely loved that one. Very good rum was the dominant flavor on the nose and palate. We could smell the rum across the room. Rum was dominant, but balanced quite nicely with the subtle GBS flavors. Hardywood could make that beer just like that every year and I'd be pleased.

Category 3 +

11.2 % so beergoddess helped. Her review immediately - "Ooohhh that's fun!"

Goses are Red
    The Bruery - Placentia, CA
    Gose-style ale with Syrah grapes aged in oak foeders
    Format: pint can
    ABV: 5.6%

From the brewer: "This is a rosé - and a gose - by any other name. Goses are Red is a stylish funky, crisp and tart gose ale inspired by the soft sweetness of a rosé wine. The refreshing wheat-based ale begins with some of the qualities you’d expect from a gose, including coriander spicing and a light saltiness to complement the tartness imparted by our house cultures. But the story doesn’t end there - it builds in complexity, thanks to time spent in an oak foeder and the addition of grapes, which impart a refreshing character and color."

Gose/sours are really hit or miss for me. I've enjoyed the fruited sours I've had recently, but here all I really got was the tartness without much else. I've still got 3 left try, so we'll see if anything changes with the next one. This may just not be my style.

Vintage Stock
    Boulevard - collaboration with Les Bourgeois Vineyards (Rocheport, MO)
    Barrel-Aged Dark Saison Ale Co-Fermented with Norton Grapes
    Format: corked/caged 750 ml bottle
    ABV: 8.9%
    IBU: 12

From the brewer: "Vintage Stock is a blend of two dark, moderately sour, mixed-culture saisons aged for many months in oak foeders, puncheons and red wine barrels. Re-fermented on 30,000 pounds of both whole Norton grapes and pressed Norton grape juice, this love letter to wild fermentation blurs the line between beer and wine, and is our most ambitious fruited mixed-culture beer to date."

Had this during the VP. I wasn't a big fan of this one either, but again it may just be style rather than quality. Looked like a red wine, tasted primarily tart. Any other flavors were masked by the tartness. DinK said at the VP that it wasn't beer-enough or wine-enough for her and I can definitely see that.

Deep Flux
    Boulevard - collaboration with 3 Floyds
    Pale Barleywine aged in rye whiskey and Madeira casks
    Format: 12oz bottle
    ABV: 14.3%
    IBUs: 20

From the brewer: "Deep Flux is a unique, pale barleywine that pours a rich auburn color with aromas of brown sugar, oak, and dark stone fruit. This malty brew is beautifully complimentary of its barrel aging, which spent 100% of its process in wood barrels and broke down into 60% in rye whiskey barrels and 40% in Madeira wine casks. The end result for Deep Flux is a big and boisterous barleywine with resplendent flavors of rye, Madeira, and oak lurking in the barrels."

I wish I had poured this for the VP instead of the Vintage Stock. This was really good. Nose was wine to start and whiskey/rye at the finish. A bit lost on describing the flavors, but it reminded me a bit of a good Trippel. So glad I have more of this. Cat 3. I'd get it if you see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Gotcha. Enjoy! Those two SoPines high gravity cans are terrific.
    Yea, just got on Ymm, Beer to personally/directly/publicly thank you but the message was clear anyway.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I absolutely loved that one. Very good rum was the dominant flavor on the nose and palate. We could smell the rum across the room. Rum was dominant, but balanced quite nicely with the subtle GBS flavors. Hardywood could make that beer just like that every year and I'd be pleased.

Category 3 +

11.2 % so beergoddess helped. Her review immediately - "Ooohhh that's fun!"
    Now, if beergoddess is *that* impressed, maybe something in that line would be good for Nrrrrvous' next stout...

Quote Originally Posted by LegoBatman View Post
    Goses are Red
    The Bruery - Placentia, CA
    Gose-style ale with Syrah grapes aged in oak foeders
    Format: pint can
    ABV: 5.6%

From the brewer: "This is a rosé - and a gose - by any other name. Goses are Red is a stylish funky, crisp and tart gose ale inspired by the soft sweetness of a rosé wine. The refreshing wheat-based ale begins with some of the qualities you’d expect from a gose, including coriander spicing and a light saltiness to complement the tartness imparted by our house cultures. But the story doesn’t end there - it builds in complexity, thanks to time spent in an oak foeder and the addition of grapes, which impart a refreshing character and color."

Gose/sours are really hit or miss for me. I've enjoyed the fruited sours I've had recently, but here all I really got was the tartness without much else. I've still got 3 left try, so we'll see if anything changes with the next one. This may just not be my style.
    Grape, err, great name. Sounds like a wonderful beer but I agree that goses, sours and Berliner Weisses take some palate-training but certainly can see/taste/understand why some styles simply never appeal to folks. It's all in the journey.

Vintage Stock
    Boulevard - collaboration with Les Bourgeois Vineyards (Rocheport, MO)
    Barrel-Aged Dark Saison Ale Co-Fermented with Norton Grapes
    Format: corked/caged 750 ml bottle
    ABV: 8.9%
    IBU: 12

From the brewer: "Vintage Stock is a blend of two dark, moderately sour, mixed-culture saisons aged for many months in oak foeders, puncheons and red wine barrels. Re-fermented on 30,000 pounds of both whole Norton grapes and pressed Norton grape juice, this love letter to wild fermentation blurs the line between beer and wine, and is our most ambitious fruited mixed-culture beer to date."

Had this during the VP. I wasn't a big fan of this one either, but again it may just be style rather than quality. Looked like a red wine, tasted primarily tart. Any other flavors were masked by the tartness. DinK said at the VP that it wasn't beer-enough or wine-enough for her and I can definitely see that.
    Once again, no palate is right or wrong (except when it comes to Southern Pines Dead Man Suit and Thai which may have been 100,000+ on the Scoville Heat Units scale to my palate but likely didn't register >1000 for TW or RJ ).

Deep Flux
    Boulevard - collaboration with 3 Floyds
    Pale Barleywine aged in rye whiskey and Madeira casks
    Format: 12oz bottle
    ABV: 14.3%
    IBUs: 20

From the brewer: "Deep Flux is a unique, pale barleywine that pours a rich auburn color with aromas of brown sugar, oak, and dark stone fruit. This malty brew is beautifully complimentary of its barrel aging, which spent 100% of its process in wood barrels and broke down into 60% in rye whiskey barrels and 40% in Madeira wine casks. The end result for Deep Flux is a big and boisterous barleywine with resplendent flavors of rye, Madeira, and oak lurking in the barrels."

I wish I had poured this for the VP instead of the Vintage Stock. This was really good. Nose was wine to start and whiskey/rye at the finish. A bit lost on describing the flavors, but it reminded me a bit of a good Trippel. So glad I have more of this. Cat 3. I'd get it if you see it.
    That sounds like an amazing combination. I'd wager none of that even sniffs any NC zip codes, even if one's (second) best gal is Stella.

For breakfast today I had no beer.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Once again, no palate is right or wrong (except when it comes to Southern Pines Dead Man Suit and Thai which may have been 100,000+ on the Scoville Heat Units scale to my palate but likely didn't register >1000 for TW or RJ ).
    If I’m wrong, I don’t wanna be right.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

If I’m wrong, I don’t wanna be right.
    Licorice is another hit/miss adjunct for me. IIRC (might be the second time), I hated Uinta's licorice-infested Labyrinth several years ago. The first tasting of The Abyss, maybe in 2015, was a bit off-putting, but subsequent aging and tastings have mellowed/smoothed that somewhat "harsh" flavor and it's been rather pleasant tasting the 2015 version the last couple years.

South Street Brewing Imperial Satan’s Pony

I made a Nrrrrvous trade that saw this one come my way. The mahogany color is gorgeous. Really well balanced. Nice and malty, and the BBA influences shine through. A great beer with which to cheer against Patrick Reed (the U[sic]NC Tar Heels” of the PGA Tour).

Licorice is another hit/miss adjunct for me. IIRC (might be the second time), I hated Uinta's licorice-infested Labyrinth several years ago. The first tasting of The Abyss, maybe in 2015, was a bit off-putting, but subsequent aging and tastings have mellowed/smoothed that somewhat "harsh" flavor and it's been rather pleasant tasting the 2015 version the last couple years.
    In that vein, I am really looking forward to my Dark Lord variant, but am awaiting just the right occasion. Hasn’t come along yet.

South Street Brewing Imperial Satan’s Pony

I made a Nrrrrvous trade that saw this one come my way. The mahogany color is gorgeous. Really well balanced. Nice and malty, and the BBA influences shine through. A great with which to cheer against Patrick Reed (the U[sic]NC Tar Heels” of the PGA Tour).
    The orrrriginal Satan's Pony is a very solid amber ale. The BBA version is superb. Maybe he or accfan can hook you up with Soft Serv their BBA Imperial Ice Cream Porter some time. Ymm, Beer indeed.

In that vein, I am really looking forward to my Dark Lord variant, but am awaiting just the right occasion. Hasn’t come along yet.
    Please remind me which one I "assigned" to you. I remember guajillo peppers and tangerine peel and barrel-aging but can't recall the other adjuncts/features.

The orrrriginal Satan's Pony is a very solid amber ale. The BBA version is superb. Maybe he or accfan can hook you up with Soft Serv their BBA Imperial Ice Cream Porter some time. Ymm, Beer indeed.
    They already have. It’s in the queue (and not the one accfan stole from RJ ).

Please remind me which one I "assigned" to you. I remember guajillo peppers and tangerine peel and barrel-aging but can't recall the other adjuncts/features.
    Tequila barrel aging and Mekang cinnamon.

Speaking of The Abyss:

"From 11/24/18 at tailgate:

The Abyss (released 12/17/15 with "best after 12/17/16" stamped on label)-Deschutes Brewing Company

Three bottles remain.

I'm very glad 3 of us were sharing this () before the Duke football collapse on the field .

More molasses, oak/wood and red wine, almost like port, than the first two tastings with less licorice and bourbon were the general impressions this weekend. I still like the idea above of a pairing with a ribeye or filet, or perhaps a mini-vertical with the 2017 bottle I think I have, too."

They already have. It’s in the queue (and not the one accfan stole from RJ ).
    Accfan + Nrrrrvous= good people