Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Other people's football -- 2016 college edition

Okay, an outlet for interesting games going on. Jinx or no jinx as you deem fit.

Appalachian State up over Tennessee, at Neyland, late second quarter. SEC network where I live. Folks getting antsy in Knoxville.

(And if Duke is going to grow its football culture, I respectfully suggest this is not an "off topic" subject FWIW).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Okay, an outlet for interesting games going on. Jinx or no jinx as you deem fit.

Appalachian State up over Tennessee, at Neyland, late second quarter. SEC network where I live. Folks getting antsy in Knoxville.
    I've been watching on the SEC Network ... one interesting ACC-related point. In two weeks, Mark Richt takes his Miami Hurricanes to Boone for a game with App State.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I've been watching on the SEC Network ... one interesting ACC-related point. In two weeks, Mark Richt takes his Miami Hurricanes to Boone for a game with App State.
    Interesting. Cannot imagine why Miami would agree to play there. Nothing good can come of it.

Interesting. Cannot imagine why Miami would agree to play there. Nothing good can come of it.
    Cool weather?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Depends on which set of refs they have with them.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Halftime Louisville 56 Charlotte 0
    Midway through 2nd quarter Vandy over South Carolina 10 to 0

App State and Tennessee tied, under a minute and Apo State driving . . . .

Poor clock management by App. St., going to OT

Poor clock management by App. St., going to OT
    Tennessee survives 20-13 in OT.

I agree with Old Phi Kap -- poor clock management at the end by ASU. Then again, they would have needed a FG from a freshman kicker who had already missed an extra point and a field goal.

Tennessee got lucky in OT ... their QB fumbled into the end zone, but the Vols won a scramble for the ball ... for what proved to be the winning TD.

Also, South Carolina has rallied to tie Vandy late -- the Commodores just missed a mid-range field goal with under three minutes left.

Wow, Gamecocks with a 55-yarder to pull ahead under a minute.

Kurt Roper got it done in the second half for the 'Cocks tonight.

Kurt Roper got it done in the second half for the 'Cocks tonight.

Boooooo! Vandy did nothing productive on offense when it mattered. Very poor passing game and decent rushing game.

Baylor off to a Briles-like fast start against future Duke opponent Northwestern. 24-0 in the second quarter in Waco.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Baylor off to a Briles-like fast start against future Duke opponent Northwestern. 24-0 in the second quarter in Waco.
    Northwestern State.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Northwestern State.
    D'oh! I'm an idiot. Although the ESPN app I was using showed the "N" logo earlier in the week. I was surprised it wasn't being televised. No wonder. In the immortal words of Rick Perry: "Ooops!"
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Northwestern State.
    Quite the anonymous directional!

-jk

Northwestern State.
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Quite the anonymous directional!
    Yeah, "Northwestern State" sounds like a fake university from a movie, or a pair of descriptors without a noun. It's like holding a prestigious golf tournament and calling it the "Open Championship".

You can find it in Natchitoches, Louisiana, significantly southeast of Shreveport. Now you know, and you didn't have to learn the hard way, like 3-seeded Iowa men's basketball, circa 2006.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Regarding the Northwestern that's on our schedule, they're about to go down to Western Michigan.

Regarding other future opponents, Army beat Temple. and GT held on to be BC in Ireland.

Regarding the Northwestern that's on our schedule, they're about to go down to Western Michigan.

Regarding other future opponents, Army beat Temple. and GT held on to be BC in Ireland.
    I watched much of Northwestern vs. Western Michigan in Evanston. WMU won on a fluke play that could have been overturned. Northwestern was driving for a score, when the ball was stripped on about the one-yard-line and bounced into the end zone and then out of bounds. The WMU safety sought to save it by throwing it back on the field*** where it was recovered by Northwestern. But the officials ruled that his foot hit the ground first. Replay looked conclusive to me that the ball was in the air before his foot landed, but the initial ruling was upheld. If the ruling had been reversed, it would have been a Northwestern touchdown and produced a 22-21 lead for the Wildcats. Instead, WMU got the ball on a touchback and ran out the clock.

*** Why the heck was the guy trying to save the ball?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Richmond beating Virginia 6-0 after one.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide