Page 14 of 178 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    In Vegas, motorcycles are allowed to use HOV lanes. They are also allowed to lane split. Scares the crap out of me when a motorcycle flys between me and another car in traffic. Seems to me like a good way to get killed but I've never rode one before.

Also, to ride in a HOV lane in Vegas, all you need is 2 people. Could be a little 2 seater truck and you're in!
    I thought all you needed was a chip and a chair!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Motorcycle was going WAY faster than the traffic in the adjoining lane, always dangerous.

Also, the motorcycle showed deplorable reaction time in braking, he's not someone that should be driving that fast to begin with. Even in my old age and sitting in a recliner with my laptop, my reactions were a hell of a lot faster than the motorcyclist when the car started pulling into his lane.
    But that's the nature of HOV lanes - they tend to have traffic moving at a quicker pace than non-HOV lanes. That's the appeal of them, and the incentive to carpool. Also, the motorcyclist may not have been speeding - it could be that non-HOV traffic was just slow. Again,

The double-yellow is supposed to prohibit vehicles from entering and exiting the HOV lane except for specified areas (e.g., just before exits, just after entrance ramps). Obviously it's no barrier. I agree that the delta-v is the real risk here and that it may not be wise to enjoy the full speed limit of the HOV lane when the adjacent lane is that much slower, and there's no physical barrier to keep someone from drifting over. Similar to the risk a bicyclist has by zooming by the left side of parked cars. A driver's door opening is a risk.

Deplorable reaction time? At 0:20 the car has not yet entered the lane. At 0:21 it begins to cross the double yellow. At 0:22 it is fully in the lane and the motorcyclist has started to brake hard (you can see a bit of wobble in the steering head as he tries to not fish-tail from heavy braking). IMO the reaction time is not at all deplorable - if it seems slow, I suspect it's because we know what's coming. The brain takes time to process things, and then we need to act. SIPDE - scan, identify, predict, decide, execute. As a recently-retired motorcyclist of 17 years experience and tens of thousands of miles, I do not find the reaction time deplorable. Average at worst.

BTW, motorcycles are often explicitly permitted in HOV lanes. Not sure why - perhaps in states that permit lane-splitting the MC is viewed as moving travelers along efficiently? Perhaps to encourage use of fuel-efficient vehicles?

Some dude nets $31,500 playing Plinko on the Price is Right. When I was a kid that was my favorite game on the show

"The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    But that's the nature of HOV lanes - they tend to have traffic moving at a quicker pace than non-HOV lanes. That's the appeal of them, and the incentive to carpool. Also, the motorcyclist may not have been speeding - it could be that non-HOV traffic was just slow. Again,

The double-yellow is supposed to prohibit vehicles from entering and exiting the HOV lane except for specified areas (e.g., just before exits, just after entrance ramps). Obviously it's no barrier. I agree that the delta-v is the real risk here and that it may not be wise to enjoy the full speed limit of the HOV lane when the adjacent lane is that much slower, and there's no physical barrier to keep someone from drifting over. Similar to the risk a bicyclist has by zooming by the left side of parked cars. A driver's door opening is a risk.

Deplorable reaction time? At 0:20 the car has not yet entered the lane. At 0:21 it begins to cross the double yellow. At 0:22 it is fully in the lane and the motorcyclist has started to brake hard (you can see a bit of wobble in the steering head as he tries to not fish-tail from heavy braking). IMO the reaction time is not at all deplorable - if it seems slow, I suspect it's because we know what's coming. The brain takes time to process things, and then we need to act. SIPDE - scan, identify, predict, decide, execute. As a recently-retired motorcyclist of 17 years experience and tens of thousands of miles, I do not find the reaction time deplorable. Average at worst.

BTW, motorcycles are often explicitly permitted in HOV lanes. Not sure why - perhaps in states that permit lane-splitting the MC is viewed as moving travelers along efficiently? Perhaps to encourage use of fuel-efficient vehicles?
    Assumptions:
    70 mph is approximately 100 fps
    Avg car length is 15ft
    Avg mororcycle breaking distance at 60 mph = 135 ft

At the 20 sec mark, the motorcycle is more than 6 car lengths behind the cars he is overtaking.
    Even with braking, he collides with a moving vehicle. Thus, he closed over 100 feet in 2 seconds, which means he was averaging more than 35 mph FASTER than the car he collided with, even including his attempt to brake. The traffic he was overtaking was not overly congested, seemed to be free-moving, and none of the vehicles had brake lights actuated.

I'm sticking with the theory that the motorcyclist was going too fast.

I also posit that he was going way too fast for his reaction time. Good reaction time is under a second, bad is over 1.5 second. There is no way people with bad reaction times should drive motorcycles (nor cars in my opinion) particularly in circumstances which elevate the risk of needing to react quickly - AS IN PASSING OTHER VEHICLES. Motorcyclists should realize how easy it is for other drivers to lose motorcycles in their blind spot. In my opinion, the motorcycle driver was just plain reckless and was lucky to walk away. I'm not saying that the oblivious moron who pulled in front of him wasn't at fault, but the motorcyclist was wrong as well.

Who wants to sign up?

I have so many questions... and I'm not even sure if "fold your genitals?!?!" is the strangest of them.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I have so many questions... and I'm not even sure if "fold your genitals?!?!" is the strangest of them.
    Well, one question answered is "why will there be loud screaming"?

Who wants to sign up?

Looks like just another day here in Asheville...

Nice evening for a game of...cricket?

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/869726745129357312

Remember, kids, always hustle on any contact. Dude got a double out of a ball that went maybe 150 feet.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Assumptions:
    70 mph is approximately 100 fps
    Avg car length is 15ft
    Avg mororcycle breaking distance at 60 mph = 135 ft

At the 20 sec mark, the motorcycle is more than 6 car lengths behind the cars he is overtaking.
    Even with braking, he collides with a moving vehicle. Thus, he closed over 100 feet in 2 seconds, which means he was averaging more than 35 mph FASTER than the car he collided with, even including his attempt to brake. The traffic he was overtaking was not overly congested, seemed to be free-moving, and none of the vehicles had brake lights actuated.

I'm sticking with the theory that the motorcyclist was going too fast.

I also posit that he was going way too fast for his reaction time. Good reaction time is under a second, bad is over 1.5 second. There is no way people with bad reaction times should drive motorcycles (nor cars in my opinion) particularly in circumstances which elevate the risk of needing to react quickly - AS IN PASSING OTHER VEHICLES. Motorcyclists should realize how easy it is for other drivers to lose motorcycles in their blind spot. In my opinion, the motorcycle driver was just plain reckless and was lucky to walk away. I'm not saying that the oblivious moron who pulled in front of him wasn't at fault, but the motorcyclist was wrong as well.
    I haven't made the car-length measurement but I'm curious where you get your notions of good/bad reaction time. They seem uncharitable from the quick googling I've done. I cannot help but suspect that his reaction time looks slow simply because we know what's coming, and in real time, he does not. One reason he does not is that he's probably not watching THAT car, and the reason is, THAT car moved over 2 lanes without signaling or pausing after moving over the first lane. I suspect that if he was watching cars for signs of moving over, it would have been the two cars that the subject car threaded before continuing on into his lane.

There is no doubt that the delta-v is what gets you and the rider was going a fair bit faster than the traffic immediately to his right. That is a risk, but not necessarily illegal or faulty. Whether he was speeding and they were going under the limit, IDK. His speedometer is largely out of view (and it may be a tank-mounted one, a design choice that I've always thought to be undesirable from a safety perspective). If he was speeding, that would be a contributing factor, but other than that potentiality, it seems to me the car bears the fault. It would be curious if someone could find out how the police and/or insurance ultimately viewed it.

Maybe this will help:

https://youtu.be/Qhm7-LEBznk

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Maybe this will help:

Yep. That cleared everything right up for me. Thanks.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Maybe this will help:

The joke's on him...he married her. And videotaping while he's driving shows he's not that bright either.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Underground water pipe explodes in Kiev.

This is more than a little terrifying... but the gif of the ground expanding and contracting is pretty cool.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm just going to take my tiny bow and arrow to go hunt for some... ohmygodabear!!!!!

-Jason "how did he live?!?!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Well, one question answered is "why will there be loud screaming"?
    Maybe it has something to do with The Great Horned Owl observing whether or not you really can fold/unfold your genitals.

When the Honeydo list takes priority over everything else

Man mows lawn while a tornado touches down in the background.

-Jason "here is the full story" Evans

I'm pretty sure this is the best close-up magic I have ever seen... though I suspect it is done through some buttons in the table or something.

I'm pretty sure this is the best close-up magic I have ever seen... though I suspect it is done through some buttons in the table or something.
    Yeah, I was completely lost on that one!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Yeah, I was completely lost on that one!
    It is my understanding that the trick was done with a series of compartments in the platform upon which he performed the trick. They would flip open or closed in the blink of an eye allowing coins to appear or disappear. There is a reason Will did the trick far away from the judges and the audience. If you stood up close, you could see the compartments working. The trick only works if Will knows the exact angle you will be viewing the trick (something he could control via the cameraman).

It is my understanding that the trick was done with a series of compartments in the platform upon which he performed the trick. They would flip open or closed in the blink of an eye allowing coins to appear or disappear. There is a reason Will did the trick far away from the judges and the audience. If you stood up close, you could see the compartments working. The trick only works if Will knows the exact angle you will be viewing the trick (something he could control via the cameraman).
    ...which makes it NOT the best close-up magic.

Sleight of hand rules, not machines or tricks, in my opinion.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust