Page 56 of 178 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 3557
    Two fat guys fighting on the golf course.

~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Isn't there a rule about how many legs you can use?
    Yeah, but he was still tied to a leash, that's the handicapper right there. Plus he eased up at the end, more marks for good sportsmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post

Uneasy likeness to John Daly and his ex there, they've been known to air their grievances in public.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post

This moment, more than any other in human history, is the one I hope aliens were here to see.

Seriously, there could be a human biologist version of Jane Goodall scribbling in her notebook, "...the play broke out into fighting between two larger males. The other apes observed from afar..."

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    This moment, more than any other in human history, is the one I hope aliens were here to see.

Seriously, there could be a human biologist version of Jane Goodall scribbling in her notebook, "...the play broke out into fighting between two larger males. The other apes observed from afar..."
    What kills me is that with presumably a golf bag full of pretty effective weapons (I'd go with a long iron although I usually don't hit anything with those, my ball retrieval tool gets the most workout) the guy opts for the pin as his weapon of choice?? We'd surely discover if aliens have a sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    What kills me is that with presumably a golf bag full of pretty effective weapons (I'd go with a long iron although I usually don't hit anything with those, my ball retrieval tool gets the most workout) the guy opts for the pin as his weapon of choice?? We'd surely discover if aliens have a sense of humor.
    Hah hah, yeah. I can't believe everyone just stood around and watched...

Then again...

Actual dashcam (facing in) footage of an armored truck attempted robbery! Good thing they had bulletproof glass!

https://www.insider.com/watch-video-...er-fire-2021-5
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

A Duke alums tik tok yall will love it.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMepjyEs9/

Hint Duke vs Kentucky

My god - what a horrible way to go.

"Whoa, I think I might get stuck in there. Well, no problem, Ill just call for help once I get my phone. There will be a signal, won't there?"

Oh, you simply must see this video of a birthday present gone awry. This thing plays out like one of those fake pro wrestling videos.

https://twitter.com/JasonDukeEvans/s...89323324776452
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    "Whoa, I think I might get stuck in there. Well, no problem, Ill just call for help once I get my phone. There will be a signal, won't there?"
    Worse, his girlfriend told him she had his back & he should just go for it ... right before she left to meet up with his best friend.

OK, this isn't nearly as exciting as most of the posts in this thread, but it seemed pretty neat when I stumbled across it.

This is from my hometown newspaper (Scotland Neck, NC - yep it's a real place) in August, 1916. Considering that the high school graduation class consisted of nine students, paying for an ad like this seems a little strange. And as another reminder that this is from the old days, the spelling mistakes would NOT have been due to auto correct "assistance" from Microsoft - just a fat fingered, real live type setter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    OK, this isn't nearly as exciting as most of the posts in this thread, but it seemed pretty neat when I stumbled across it.

This is from my hometown newspaper (Scotland Neck, NC - yep it's a real place) in August, 1916. Considering that the high school graduation class consisted of nine students, paying for an ad like this seems a little strange. And as another reminder that this is from the old days, the spelling mistakes would NOT have been due to auto correct "assistance" from Microsoft - just a fat fingered, real live type setter.
    Well, I certainly remember when roughly 11 million assorted blackbirds (starlings et al) tried to poop Scotland Neck to death...hopefully someone got them to go to South Carolina...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Well, I certainly remember when roughly 11 million assorted blackbirds (starlings et al) tried to poop Scotland Neck to death...hopefully someone got them to go to South Carolina...
    Oh wonderful memory. Our house was about half a mile from the area in the woods where most of them roosted. It could get really loud outside when they were flying around. Of course, it wasn't terribly smart to be outside when they were swarming overhead.

Oh wonderful memory. Our house was about half a mile from the area in the woods where most of them roosted. It could get really loud outside when they were flying around. Of course, it wasn't terribly smart to be outside when they were swarming overhead.
    so I assume they eventually went away? For a few years we occasionally had several thousand crows who would roost in our thick pine trees...no idea why they came, no idea why they left.

so I assume they eventually went away? For a few years we occasionally had several thousand crows who would roost in our thick pine trees...no idea why they came, no idea why they left.
    Yep, they just stopped showing up after a few years. There were some studies done to try and figure it out, but I never heard that any conclusion was reached. Some student media group from Duke did a report several years back, but I can't find it online anywhere.

The text below is from a WRAL report that was done in 2006.

The guy that was the mayor when it all happened, Ferd Harrison (Ferd really was his name) even got a turn on the Tonight Show with Carson. So that was my hometown's brief stint in the spotlight. Having Carson tell bird crap jokes for about ten minutes.

WRAL October, 2006

SCOTLAND NECK, N.C. — Millions of birds mysteriously invaded the little town of Scotland Neck 35 years ago, capturing worldwide attention during their stay.

From 1969 through the early 1970s, 12 million birds would make their presence felt in the late afternoons and evening hours in the Halifax County town.

"You could hear them coming in," said Scotland Neck Mayor Robert Partin.

Bird droppings measured about 9 inches thick in some area, and according to historical documents, they contaminated a nearby canal, attracted lice, and caused a virus outbreak. Some residents had difficulty sleeping at night because of the noise the birds made. Remarkably, there are no reports the birds made anyone sick.

Partin said the birds' visit was like a nightmare.

"Just like the Alfred Hitchcock movie 'The Birds.' The only difference is they didn't attack people," Partin said.

OK, so you made me track down the video done by the Center for Documentary Studies at Duke - just a little bit weird.

OK, so you made me track down the video done by the Center for Documentary Studies at Duke - just a little bit weird.

David: “Crap - there isn’t enough bird footage. How the hell are we going to turn this story into a documentary?

Dennis: “Couldn’t we just go with animation?”

Michelle: “What you smoking Dennis? we don’t have that kind of money!”

David: “Yeah, you’re right….hmmm….Unfortunately I guess that’s it for the bird story. Too bad.”

[Everyone slowly gets up to leave the room, but just as they are heading out the door Lisa Song shouts after them.]

“Wait guys, I have an idea! Now it’s going to sound a little crazy at first, so I need you to hear me out….”