Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Researchers may have found a cure for autoimmune diseases

Researchers have developed an "inverse vaccine" that is showing real promise against autoimmune diseases. This would be huge.

https://mag.uchicago.edu/science-med...ning-immunity#
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 03-26-2024 at 11:25 AM. Reason: title changed per thread originator request

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Researchers have developed an "inverse vaccine" that is showing real promise against autoimmune diseases. This would be huge.

https://mag.uchicago.edu/science-med...ning-immunity#
    That would be an amazing breakthrough. Someone in Florida is probably already drafting a law that will make it illegal to administer.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

My dad had MS. This would be HUGE.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That would be an amazing breakthrough. Someone in Florida is probably already drafting a law that will make it illegal to administer.
    Well duh. Diseases growing living things. Human diseases are people too.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    My dad had MS. This would be HUGE.
    My father did aswell.he got lung cancer also it was just to much for him to survive.

Researchers have developed an "inverse vaccine"
    So, if I wanted to I could undo my immunity to chicken pox and get it all over again?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    So, if I wanted to I could undo my immunity to chicken pox and get it all over again?
    Not my wording, theirs. BTW, my father never developed an immunity to chicken pox. He had it like 8 times.

Not my wording, theirs. BTW, my father never developed an immunity to chicken pox. He had it like 8 times.
    All joking aside, this is AWESOME news. The application to autoimmune diseases really leaves your head spinning.

Hopefully your dad was able to enjoy some time where all the kids had the chicken pox vaccine. We were talking about "pox parties" the other day and my kids (8 and 11) were like WTF? Was that actually a thing??!! Old people are weird.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    My father did aswell.he got lung cancer also it was just to much for him to survive.
    My dad was diagnosed in 1971 and lived until 2014. He also had spinal cord atrophy, which is not uncommon. A long, hard road.

We were talking about "pox parties" the other day .
    Did you call it Ookie Mouth?

ookie.jpg

All joking aside, this is AWESOME news. The application to autoimmune diseases really leaves your head spinning.

Hopefully your dad was able to enjoy some time where all the kids had the chicken pox vaccine. We were talking about "pox parties" the other day and my kids (8 and 11) were like WTF? Was that actually a thing??!! Old people are weird.
    Yes, he got chicken pox when my older brothers got it and then later when I got it. Unfortunately, he died in 2021 of a rare autoimmune disease called autoimmune hemolytic anemia. With AIHA the body basically attacks it's own red blood cells. It was terrible. Relatively healthy one day and on death's doorstep the next. He lived 31 days and required 72 units of blood during those 30 days. Frustratingly, AIHA is relatively easy to treat for most people, but he was resistant to protocols A,B,C,D and E.

I'm the furthest thing that you will find from an anti-vaxxer, but the hospital made me submit my dad's case to the VAERS (Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System) system. He became sick shortly after the second dose of Moderna. I was contacted by the CDC. They told me that they could not rule out that his reaction was not from the vaccine. Interestingly, I have found several confirmed cases since my dad died. I wonder if this treatment would have helped him. Maybe.

I wonder if this might lead to humble cures, as well, like a cure for alopecia or Hashimoto's thyroiditis, both of which affect family members of mine. That wouldn't be as huge a breakthrough as something like MS, of course, but might it might also be easier to try something highly targeted like that as proof of principle.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    My dad was diagnosed in 1971 and lived until 2014. He also had spinal cord atrophy, which is not uncommon. A long, hard road.
    Damn; I’m very sorry he was dealt such a horrible hand!

Yes, he got chicken pox when my older brothers got it and then later when I got it. Unfortunately, he died in 2021 of a rare autoimmune disease called autoimmune hemolytic anemia. With AIHA the body basically attacks it's own red blood cells. It was terrible. Relatively healthy one day and on death's doorstep the next. He lived 31 days and required 72 units of blood during those 30 days. Frustratingly, AIHA is relatively easy to treat for most people, but he was resistant to protocols A,B,C,D and E
    I’m very sorry to hear your dad had such a terrible, life ending experience!

I also had chicken pox twice (as a kid). Now you’ve got me wondering whether or not I should get the Shingles vaccines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post

I also had chicken pox twice (as a kid). Now you’ve got me wondering whether or not I should get the Shingles vaccines.
    Thank you. He was a good dude.

I think he did get shingles once, but not that bad. I've actually had shingles twice. Once when I was 27 and again when I was 32 or so. Only had chicken pox once.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post

Pain resulting from shingles is a leading cause of suicide amongst the elderly.

-jk

Such great news. I forwarded this article to a friend with rheumatoid arthritis, and another whose 8 y/o has Type I. Both were cautiously ecstatic.

Many thanks to the OP.

Speaking of health game-changers, I only found out the other day that they developed a 90% cure for cystic fibrosis a couple years ago. How was this not bigger news? Or did I just miss the headlines somehow?
    The American Democracy Experiment - fun while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I wonder if this might lead to humble cures, as well, like a cure for alopecia or Hashimoto's thyroiditis, both of which affect family members of mine. That wouldn't be as huge a breakthrough as something like MS, of course, but might it might also be easier to try something highly targeted like that as proof of principle.
    There is a treatment for alopecia.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...nib-adults-and

https://www.litfulo.com/
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Pain resulting from shingles is a leading cause of suicide amongst the elderly.

-jk
    Wow, that's a hell of a stat. We watched as my MIL had to deal with long lasting case, it was very hard for her. Not long after, both my wife and I got our vaccines.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."