Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

The "Not Classic Rock" listening thread

We have lots of threads these days discussing the Beatles/Stones, ranking old bands, etc. I'd really like to hear what current artists everyone is listening to. I'll randomly set the limit to active in the past ten years. I'll start with a few of my own favorites, in no particular order, but I'm always looking for new and different artists to check out...

The Raconteurs (just about anything with Jack White)
    The Black Keys
    Dirty Heads
    Imagine Dragons
    Cage the Elephant
    Bastille
    Kings of Leon
    Band of Skulls
    Gary Clark Jr.
    Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats
    The Dead South
    Ben Caplan
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    Colter Wall
    Tyler Childers
    The Devil Makes Three
    Leon Bridges
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Good thread!

I'll second you on Tyler Childers. He's terrific. Here are my other suggestions for the last decade:

Jason Isbell (rock? Americana?)
    Mary Battiata and Little Pink (country/Americana)
    Ana Egge (folk)
    Lucinda Williams (rock) (yes, she's getting up there in years, but she's still making good music)
    Brennen Leigh (country)
    John Moreland (Americana, I guess)
    Joan Shelley (folk)
    Renee Wahl (Americana)
    Drive-By Truckers (rock)
    Richard Thompson (folk, rock) (over 70, but still bringing it. check out his acoustic classics CDs)
    Dori Freeman (country/folk)

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'll second you on Tyler Childers. He's terrific. Here are my other suggestions for the last decade:

Jason Isbell (rock? Americana?)
    Mary Battiata and Little Pink (country/Americana)
    Ana Egge (folk)
    Lucinda Williams (rock) (yes, she's getting up there in years, but she's still making good music)
    Brennen Leigh (country)
    John Moreland (Americana, I guess)
    Joan Shelley (folk)
    Renee Wahl (Americana)
    Drive-By Truckers (rock)
    Richard Thompson (folk, rock) (over 70, but still bringing it. check out his acoustic classics CDs)
    Dori Freeman (country/folk)
    Awesome, I've got some exploring to do in Tidal.
    I hadn't kept up with Lucinda Williams since Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.
    I've got a good friend who is a big fan of Drive-By Truckers and Jason Isbell, he's always recommending them. Might be time to really dive in.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Awesome, I've got some exploring to do in Tidal.
    I hadn't kept up with Lucinda Williams since Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.
    I've got a good friend who is a big fan of Drive-By Truckers and Jason Isbell, he's always recommending them. Might be time to really dive in.
    Lucinda released a new recording just a couple of weeks ago. Very rock oriented. Isbell has a new recording coming out this week.

I'd really like to hear what current artists everyone is listening to.
    None.
    Bob Green

Pomplamoose

The other favorites

Josh Turner (not the cointry guy)

Madison Cunningham

Shins
    Strokes
    Spoon
    Fitz & the Tantrums
    Guster
    St. Paul & the Broken Bones
    Michael Kiwanuka
    Parquet Courts
    Foxygen
    Deerhunter
    Caamp

Black Puma (old soul Rhythm and Blues)
    a-ha (Acoustic album from a 2017)
    Broken Bells (Rock)
    SuperHeavy (so many)

We have lots of threads these days discussing the Beatles/Stones, ranking old bands, etc. I'd really like to hear what current artists everyone is listening to. I'll randomly set the limit to active in the past ten years. I'll start with a few of my own favorites, in no particular order, but I'm always looking for new and different artists to check out...

The Raconteurs (just about anything with Jack White)
    The Black Keys
    Dirty Heads
    Imagine Dragons
    Cage the Elephant
    Bastille
    Kings of Leon
    Band of Skulls
    Gary Clark Jr.
    Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats
    The Dead South
    Ben Caplan
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    Colter Wall
    Tyler Childers
    The Devil Makes Three
    Leon Bridges
    Awesome thread. Right there with toi on the dead south and old crow.

Been an old crow fan going on 13 years now. I have seen them on new years eve the last 3 years. Seen them in the ryman auditorium. Best show of my life.

I'd also add zac brown band to that list. If you ever get a chance to see them live, do it and sit close.

Where do folks think bands that came-of-age in the 90s fit in? Pearl Jam and, on his own, Eddie Vedder have become national musical treasures that I hear both on classic rock stations now (depresses the crap out of me) and on contemporary rock stations.

Separately, my Pandora is set to an Uncle Lucius station which spits out a lot music that makes me happy. Blend of modern classic rock + texas-style country and blues.

Let's see. I'm pretty traditional in my music, but not necessarily in the musicians.

Foxes and Fossils
    First Aid Kit
    Gabriella Quevedo
    Emma Bale
    Uncle Jed

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Where do folks think bands that came-of-age in the 90s fit in? Pearl Jam and, on his own, Eddie Vedder have become national musical treasures that I hear both on classic rock stations now (depresses the crap out of me) and on contemporary rock stations.
    Well PJ (my all time favorite) and the Foo Fighters are the last bands standing from that period. Both have large, dedicated fan bases that given them the freedom to do what they want. I doubt either would make a top 15 or 20 all time band list but I don't like those type of lists for music anyway. As I've aged I've grown to appreciate more and different types of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Well PJ (my all time favorite) and the Foo Fighters are the last bands standing from that period. Both have large, dedicated fan bases that given them the freedom to do what they want. I doubt either would make a top 15 or 20 all time band list but I don't like those type of lists for music anyway. As I've aged I've grown to appreciate more and different types of music.
    One would naturally expect me to say this, but Dave Matthews (not to mention Carter Beauford and Stefan Lessard) says hi.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I like Imagine Dragons. Radioactive..

This could be a fun thread. I quit listening to Classic rock many years ago because I’ve heard it so much it’s boring. I’m always looking for new artist to get turned on to. Sadly it’s been awhile since I’ve heard a new artist that really got me exited to hear everything they’ve recorded or anxious for the next release. I’m solidly in
    The Americana genre. The Turnpike troubadours are the last band I really dug into. They’re not new by any means and the band leader, singer/songwriter, Evan Felkner has been on an alcohol and drug rehab sabbatical for awhile now. I love female singer/song writers and tell anyone I can to dive into Patty Griffin. Her first 6 records are pure genius and criminally under-valued. You’ve likely heard many of her songs covered by others but never as well as originals imo. Steve Earle is my favorite all time songwriter and he said something like “Patty Griffin writes songs so beautiful it makes me jealous”. Start at the beginning with “Living with Ghosts” which was overproduced by her record company so she released the demo versions instead. It’s an amazing record with only Patty and her Gibson Hummingbird guitar. Enjoy.

Isbell is my favorite musical artist younger than I am.
    The Highwomen (supergroup with Isbell's wife, Amanda Shires)
    St. Vincent
    Arcade Fire
    Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears
    Calexico
    Fleet Foxes (broken up for solo Father John Misty)
    Gary Clark Jr.
    Iron & Wine
    Lucero
    Mocean Worker
    Mutemath
    Rokia Traore
    Shovels & Rope
    I just heard Sylvan Esso, from Durham, on the radio and liked them.
    Tool's new album is good.
    Trombone Shorty
    Willy Porter
    Agree that Patty Griffin is excellent. Interestingly, she and Robert Plant were a couple living in Austin. Not sure if that lasted or not.

While I think of PJ as my all-time favorite band (grew up in the 90s), I dig the post-punk bands more now. Interpol, Editors, Slow Readers Club (haha), and others. But I also enjoy the indie rock slower stuff like elbow and The National. It's funny how our tastes change over time...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post

Separately, my Pandora is set to an Uncle Lucius station which spits out a lot music that makes me happy. Blend of modern classic rock + texas-style country and blues.
    I loved PJ when they were big, saw them live 3 different times but nothing they've put out in the last ten years has really drawn me in... Don't get me wrong, still crank the hits when they come on the radio!

Uncle Lucius has come up in my mixes a couple times and I really like what I've heard! Love "Keep the Wolves Away".

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Isbell is my favorite musical artist younger than I am.
    The Highwomen (supergroup with Isbell's wife, Amanda Shires)
    St. Vincent
    Arcade Fire
    Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears
    Calexico
    Fleet Foxes (broken up for solo Father John Misty)
    Gary Clark Jr.
    Iron & Wine
    Lucero
    Mocean Worker
    Mutemath
    Rokia Traore
    Shovels & Rope
    I just heard Sylvan Esso, from Durham, on the radio and liked them.
    Tool's new album is good.
    Trombone Shorty
    Willy Porter
    Agree that Patty Griffin is excellent. Interestingly, she and Robert Plant were a couple living in Austin. Not sure if that lasted or not.
    Love Shovels and Rope. I like the Drive By Truckers but strangely Jason Isbell doesn’t excite me as much as most fans of roots music. Hayes Carl is another favorite of mine who is in Jason’s age range. Both are 10+ yrs younger than me. Corb Lund, Ryan Bingham, John Fullbright, JD McPherson, Justin Townes Earle, Lydia Loveless, Reckless Kelly, Kasey Chambers and Lera Lynn are all favorites of mine in that 40ish age range. Pokey LaFarge is a tad older but has a cool and unique sound.

Patty and Robert Plant are still married as far as I Know. Cancer treatment damaged her voice though. Her voice is deeper now. She still has a nice voice but much different. Kinda bums me out honestly.

Cannot second this strong enough.