Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homeland?

Homeland?

I know I am late to the party, but the missus and I just spent a few weeks getting up to speed on Homeland. Anyone else a fan? Enough interest for a thread?

I have watched it. Excellent show especially the first season. I have yet to watch the last one though.
    It's harder to watch tv for me in the summer. Probably will watch it soon.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

I am behind a season (maybe two), but I've watched and enjoyed at least the first... uh, three? I'd be down for discussing whatever my creaky middle-aged memory can remember!

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I have watched it. Excellent show especially the first season. I have yet to watch the last one though.
    It's harder to watch tv for me in the summer. Probably will watch it soon.
    Due to circumstances beyond my control I've been more house-bound than usual this summer.

I have found the each successive season takes me a little longer to buy into the storyline, as so much changes each year. Especially after the first and second season.

Regardless, it's very taut storytelling. I find the depiction of mental illness to be jarringly realistic.
    Let's go Duke!

Just finished Season 6... found it rather profoundly disappointing. Anyone else stuck with it this far?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Just finished Season 6... found it rather profoundly disappointing. Anyone else stuck with it this far?
    Yes, Season 6 was a huge letdown. I'm not sure if I want to see season 7 after that one.

Do you think that since no one else is on this thread and the season ended a month ago we can talk spoilers?

I like it, and I thought season 6 was pretty entertaining. I've seen every episode of every season as they aired or within a few days of airing (in other words, watched it in real time, not binge-watched).

I think it is interesting how they wax and wane with her mental illness. In some seasons (and in some individual episodes) it is very important and in others it is as if it doesn't exist at all.

I love Rupert Friend and I thought he was amazing in the most recent season.

One of the things that makes it great is the music. The guy who does the music also wrote the music for 24 back in the first few seasons when it was taut and alive, so he's no stranger to ramping up tense situations with appropriate sounds.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Concur with you guys - definitely found last season, particularly the ending, disappointing.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Was very disappointed in what they did with Peter Quinn. Loved his character in past seasons, but he was painful to watch this season. By the end of the finale, I found myself thinking "they had him survive last season for THAT??"

This season felt decidedly less smart than previous ones. I seemed to catch all the "surprises" about four minutes before they happened. It was like Homeland was telegraphing their passes.

Hoping for a good bounce back next season - love Carrie and Saul.

IMO, Homeland is one of the top 10 shows of the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IMO, Homeland is one of the top 10 shows of the last decade.
    Pretty dang good, yes. This season just seemed, well, less smart than seasons past.

Fun idea tho - best shows of the last decade... anyone want a stab?

Hell on Wheels.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Fun idea tho - best shows of the last decade... anyone want a stab?
    My top 10, in no particular order:

The Americans
    Homeland
    Breaking Bad
    Mad Men
    Dexter
    House of Cards
    Game of Thrones
    Better Call Saul
    Boardwalk Empire
    Billions (probably only for finance geeks)

My top 10, in no particular order:

The Americans
    Homeland
    Breaking Bad
    Mad Men
    Dexter
    House of Cards
    Game of Thrones
    Better Call Saul
    Boardwalk Empire
    Billions (probably only for finance geeks)
    Good list. I would point out that The Wire wrapped up ten years ago, and if we were including it in this list, I would probably put it at #1.

Good list. I would point out that The Wire wrapped up ten years ago, and if we were including it in this list, I would probably put it at #1.
    I love The Wire. My list for the previous decade (which I think was superior) would include:

The Sopranos
    The Wire
    Deadwood
    Six Feet Under
    West Wing

I love The Wire. My list for the previous decade (which I think was superior) would include:

The Sopranos
    The Wire
    Deadwood
    Six Feet Under
    West Wing
    24 - early seasons were phenomenal and intense. Late seasons got a bit more outrageous and predictable (somehow, both). My anxiousness about Homeland's ability to bounce back from subpar season is largely related to 24's arc.

24 - early seasons were phenomenal and intense. Late seasons got a bit more outrageous and predictable (somehow, both). My anxiousness about Homeland's ability to bounce back from subpar season is largely related to 24's arc.
    It certainly does not help that Homeland continues to kill off some of their best characters. However, Billions benefitted greatly.

I enjoyed S6, though not as much as S4 and S5. Homeland recovered nicely in S4 by essentially doing a Brody-less mini-reboot.

I understand it's running two more seasons - I do think they've written themselves into a corner by killing or writing out so many key characters. Carrie and Saul are really the only original cast members still on the show.

Well, I didn't see that coming!

Anyone else stick with Homeland?

I thought the last episode of the series was great!

Just in case, I won't add any spoilers at this time.