TV Alert - Field of Dreams

Field of Dreams is on right now (9:43 p.m.) on AMC.

-EarlJam God I love October and baseball and college football and cooler weather and tailgating and cooking out and good friends and DBR and all of you!

I'm in a loving mood tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Field of Dreams is on right now (9:43 p.m.) on AMC.

-EarlJam God I love October and baseball and college football and cooler weather and tailgating and cooking out and good friends and DBR and all of you!

I'm in a loving mood tonight.
    You obviously didn't watch the Falcons game earlier today!

YCCH!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    You obviously didn't watch the Falcons game earlier today!

YCCH!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Actually, I did. Was that not incredible? On the receiving end of five, FIVE turnovers and still can't win the game. Three missed field goals, and the offense looked it's most efficient when it was moving backwards - they did that quite well.

Then, on the TWO yard line, first and goal with under a minute to play. Ended up on the 12 yard line or something like that. Awful, just plain absolutely awful.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Actually, I did. Was that not incredible? On the receiving end of five, FIVE turnovers and still can't win the game. Three missed field goals, and the offense looked it's most efficient when it was moving backwards - they did that quite well.

Then, on the TWO yard line, first and goal with under a minute to play. Ended up on the 12 yard line or something like that. Awful, just plain absolutely awful.

-EarlJam
    Harrington was horrid... but better than Leftwich. Whew-- the Birds were just dreadful. The final series that began inside the 2 was beyond pathetic. Leftwich looked like he was trying to complete passes with the guy in the 6th row of the stands, not his recievers.

The sad thing is, the Falcons D has played great this year... best its been in years. Ah well.

--Jason "I am now rooting for losses so we can pick Brohm or one of the other stud QBs coming out" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Harrington was horrid... but better than Leftwich. Whew-- the Birds were just dreadful. The final series that began inside the 2 was beyond pathetic. Leftwich looked like he was trying to complete passes with the guy in the 6th row of the stands, not his recievers.

The sad thing is, the Falcons D has played great this year... best its been in years. Ah well.

--Jason "I am now rooting for losses so we can pick Brohm or one of the other stud QBs coming out" Evans
    Did you hear Leftwich's post game comments? Unreal! He seemed happy. He was going on and on about how he was happy to just get into the game and how quarterbacks, "live for situations like that." He said, and I paraphrase: It didn't go our way but I was just happy to get into the game and it felt good.

WTF!?

How about a little humility after you (and the offense) totally stunk it up?

Nevermind the loss, the upset fans, and all that. He's happy because he got into the game.

Unbelievable.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Looking at the discussions on the main board about Duke football, I think some folks would do good to watch the Falcons to see truly inept football. Compared with the Falcons, Duke is in more of its games, and puts out a generally more exciting product for its level of play.

Oh ... I forgot. New Orleans (0 and whatever) and the Falcons are in the same division. I CANNOT WAIT to see both of those games this season!

While watching the game, I found myself wondering whether the kicking gods are singling out the teams I support. Saturday kicking is an adventure, just as it is on Sunday.

Where was Chris Redman today? Wasn't he the #2 QB on the Falcons?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

What exactly were the mirrors the Panthers won with today? They were wasted in every stat category yet were still able to pull the rabbit out of the hat. John Kasey is still a stud. Don't count it as a Panther win. It was a Saints loss.

Oh, I forgot. Safe at Home is now playing on TCM. Mick and The Raja.
    Last edited by captmojo; 10-07-2007 at 10:49 PM. Reason: I forget (CRS)

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    What exactly were the mirrors the Panthers won with today? They were wasted in every stat category yet were still able to pull the rabbit out of the hat. John Kasey is still a stud. Don't count it as a Panther win. It was a Saints loss.

What channel/number is TCM on your dial? What is the premise of the movie, Safe at Home? I want to watch it, but am too lazy too look up what it's about on the Internet.

Seriously, a good movie????

-EarlJam - who is very lethargic tonight after cooking and eating a full dinner of grilled chicken, mac and cheese and asparagus with collards.

Up here it's Time/Warner 57. It's a real stinker flick but Mantle and Maris are the stars.

field of dreams

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Not sure how a thread about Field of Dreams turned into a debate about the Falcons (ugh!).

I'm also a little uncomfotable with putting Field of Dreams and Safe at Home in the same thread. The former is one of the great baseball movies ever (and a great movie, period), while the latter is one of the worst baseball movies ever (and one of the worst movies ever).

Earl, the premise of Safe at Home is simple. It's the spring of 1962 and a young (12-year-old) boy brags to his classmates that his father is good buddies with Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris ... then he's caught in a lie when he's asked to invite the two stars to his school's athletic banquet.

The kid runs away to the Yankees' spring training camp, where he meets Mickey and Roger (and actor William Frawley, playing a Yankee coach) and is lectured about the evils of lying. They send him home alone ... then save the day by showing up at his banquet. There's actually very little of Mickey and Roger on the screen ... a few other Yankees have bit parts, including Whitey Ford, who has one line.

There's a long-standing rumor that the young boy is played by a young Kirk Russell, who very badly wanted the part and auditioned for it. But the part is played another kid actor with the last name of Russell (no relation to Kirk).

All in all, a terrible movie that was released that very summer directly to drive ins and second-run theaters. It often played as part of a twin bill with another quickie movie -- Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock".

As for the AMC showing of Field of Dreams, they actually showed it twice -- the second time was their enhanced "DVD" version (letterboxed, with factoids about the film in the blank space at the bottom).

I saw a lot that I already knew -- like the fact that George Bush didn't "get" the film (of course, he also traded a young Sammy Sosa -- with 600 home runs in his future -- away from the Rangers, saying he looked in Sosa's eyes and didn't like what he saw).

But I did learn two new things about the film that gave me goosebumps:

-- One was that the actor who played Costner's father in the closing scene of the movie had come straight to the location for his scene from his own father's funeral. Supposedly, he had one last chance to talk to his dying Dad and was able to tell him, "You've been a great dad."

-- Secondly, I knew about the change of title from Kinsella's novel "Shoeless Joe" to "Field of Dreams." I knew it was forced on director Phillip Anderson by the studio and that he fought it tooth and nail. What I didn't know was that after he lost the fight, he relunctantly called Kinsella to tell him of the change and was surprised to learn that the author wasn't upset. It turns out that "Shoeless Joe" was the title forced on him by his publisher.

His original manuscript was titled, "Dream Field"

Wow, talking about all the wheels in the universe clicking into place!