Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 178
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Holly Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    My understanding is that the redevelopment is mostly about the luxury / executive suites. So while a 'redevelopment' that only adds 10k seats may not sound like a lot, I believe the intent is to dramatically increase LFC's executive seating availability...which are obviously sold for a premium.

    What's interesting about that song is that Pink Floyd were big Arsenal supporters.
    The Main Stand redevelopment added 8,500 seats, increasing capacity at Anfield to just north of 54,000. While it's true executive suites were added as part of this project because of the increased revenue from premium ticket pricing, LFC needed to expand capacity to keep up with the likes of Utd and Arsenal, and the uber-rich clubs, Man City and Chelsea. Heck, West Ham just moved into the London Olympic Stadium, which has a capacity of 60,000! I believe LFC also have approved plans to expand the Anfield Road stand by 6,000 seats, to get capacity up to the 60,000 mark. With no salary cap and severely relaxed UEFA Financial Fair Play rules in effect (which never really had much teeth anyway), Liverpool was in danger of becoming a perennial mid-table club without the increased revenue that a larger stadium will generate. That would be a tragedy, given LFC have one of the biggest trophy cabinets in world football (19 league titles and 5 European Cups, for starters).


    YNWA JFT 96

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by HS Dukie View Post
    The Main Stand redevelopment added 8,500 seats, increasing capacity at Anfield to just north of 54,000. While it's true executive suites were added as part of this project because of the increased revenue from premium ticket pricing, LFC needed to expand capacity to keep up with the likes of Utd and Arsenal, and the uber-rich clubs, Man City and Chelsea. Heck, West Ham just moved into the London Olympic Stadium, which has a capacity of 60,000! I believe LFC also have approved plans to expand the Anfield Road stand by 6,000 seats, to get capacity up to the 60,000 mark. With no salary cap and severely relaxed UEFA Financial Fair Play rules in effect (which never really had much teeth anyway), Liverpool was in danger of becoming a perennial mid-table club without the increased revenue that a larger stadium will generate. That would be a tragedy, given LFC have one of the biggest trophy cabinets in world football (19 league titles and 5 European Cups, for starters).


    YNWA JFT 96
    Does anyone know the relative weight of attendance vs. TV as far as revenues go? Clearly larger attendance is better for concessions, businesses around the stadia and crowd enthusiasm, but will the increase in ticket sales be material enough to even up the odds?

    Then again, you can have all the revenues in the world, but not spend it (i.e., Arsene)

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Holly Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Does anyone know the relative weight of attendance vs. TV as far as revenues go? Clearly larger attendance is better for concessions, businesses around the stadia and crowd enthusiasm, but will the increase in ticket sales be material enough to even up the odds?

    Then again, you can have all the revenues in the world, but not spend it (i.e., Arsene)
    Great question - I imagine it's a smaller proportion of match day/gate to TV revenue in the EPL now, as the new TV rights deal with Sky pays out £81M per season to each club. There are additional amounts paid to the clubs for TV broadcasting, depending on the number of appearances. For reference, I found Liverpool's match day revenue for the 14-15 season, and it was about £60M. Big clubs also generate huge revenue through commercial deals, e.g. kit sponsorship, and from the kit brands themselves. Man Utd gets a ridiculous amount of money from Adidas and Chevrolet, and have a different sponsor (AON) for their training kits. All of this just goes to show you why promotion/relegation means so much to the clubs. Think about the revenue Aston Villa is losing this year, their first season out of the top flight since the Premier League was established.

    Arsene spent a reasonable amount this past window, at least by his standards! Klopp had a negative net spend in contrast.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by HS Dukie View Post
    Great question - I imagine it's a smaller proportion of match day/gate to TV revenue in the EPL now, as the new TV rights deal with Sky pays out £81M per season to each club. There are additional amounts paid to the clubs for TV broadcasting, depending on the number of appearances. For reference, I found Liverpool's match day revenue for the 14-15 season, and it was about £60M. Big clubs also generate huge revenue through commercial deals, e.g. kit sponsorship, and from the kit brands themselves. Man Utd gets a ridiculous amount of money from Adidas and Chevrolet, and have a different sponsor (AON) for their training kits. All of this just goes to show you why promotion/relegation means so much to the clubs. Think about the revenue Aston Villa is losing this year, their first season out of the top flight since the Premier League was established.

    Arsene spent a reasonable amount this past window, at least by his standards! Klopp had a negative net spend in contrast.
    Agree, we did spend, albeit late in the game and after innumerable misses it seemed.

    My former firm, Deloitte (UK), puts put an annual analysis of sources of revenue. I will try to find it and answer my own question.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Agree, we did spend, albeit late in the game and after innumerable misses it seemed.

    My former firm, Deloitte (UK), puts put an annual analysis of sources of revenue. I will try to find it and answer my own question.
    Midteens % for matchday, most on broadcast rest in commercial. Broadcast growth projected in 2016/7 at the expense of the other two components.

    See p 16 http://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam...nance-2016.pdf

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Things should start to get really interesting with the Champions League starting back this week.

    City handled United Easily. Chelsea held to a point. Arsenal win late on a fortunate penalty. Liverpool dismantled Leicester.
    I sort of politely beg to differ. City were clinical and dominated the first half but in the second with the chosen ones changes United were much better. I think they deserved a point. Btw I am not a united fan....
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Holly Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Midteens % for matchday, most on broadcast rest in commercial. Broadcast growth projected in 2016/7 at the expense of the other two components.

    See p 16 http://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam...nance-2016.pdf
    Very interesting analysis. Thank you for sharing.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by HS Dukie View Post
    Very interesting analysis. Thank you for sharing.
    Pleasure. It's a really good practice group in my former (38 years worth!) firm.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Nice to have Champions League soccer back as well. Now 4 days of the week I have at least some soccer I can watch.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sullivans Island, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by HS Dukie View Post
    The Main Stand redevelopment added 8,500 seats, increasing capacity at Anfield to just north of 54,000. While it's true executive suites were added as part of this project because of the increased revenue from premium ticket pricing, LFC needed to expand capacity to keep up with the likes of Utd and Arsenal, and the uber-rich clubs, Man City and Chelsea. Heck, West Ham just moved into the London Olympic Stadium, which has a capacity of 60,000! I believe LFC also have approved plans to expand the Anfield Road stand by 6,000 seats, to get capacity up to the 60,000 mark. With no salary cap and severely relaxed UEFA Financial Fair Play rules in effect (which never really had much teeth anyway), Liverpool was in danger of becoming a perennial mid-table club without the increased revenue that a larger stadium will generate. That would be a tragedy, given LFC have one of the biggest trophy cabinets in world football (19 league titles and 5 European Cups, for starters).

    YNWA JFT 96
    *18 league titles. We're all waiting very patiently for the 19th.

    The redevelopment was all about adding corporate hospitality. In 2012-13 Stamford Bridge's capacity was ~3K less than Anfield's, but generated ~60% more in matchday earnings...largely due to "premium seating." Ian Ayre had this to say:

    ďI donít think thereís a football club in the country who could afford to spend money on a new stand without the assistance of corporate hospitality. It pays,Ē said Ayre. ďIt will probably pay two thirds or more of the payback of this facility and that is a fact of life. You canít find economic solutions that work in big new stadiums that donít have corporate."
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...orporate-seats

    Liverpool are not backed by States with sweetheart commercial deals (e.g. City / PSG) nor fabulously wealthy individuals (e.g. Chelsea). It also operates in a league with a relatively equitable distribution of TV money (unlike Barca / Madrid) and for a period of time was operated by a few individuals looking to flip it versus setting it up for long term financial health (like Munich is / has been run). FSG gets a lot of grief in Liverpool, but - IMO - it's almost completely unwarranted, something that the $115M interest-free loan to expand corporate seating in the main stand demonstrates. In the near term - barring a complete re-think by UEFA - we're never going to be able to go toe-to-toe with the clubs mentioned above, but the stadium expansion does get us incrementally closer.

    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Does anyone know the relative weight of attendance vs. TV as far as revenues go? Clearly larger attendance is better for concessions, businesses around the stadia and crowd enthusiasm, but will the increase in ticket sales be material enough to even up the odds?

    Then again, you can have all the revenues in the world, but not spend it (i.e., Arsene)
    This is a question for the Swiss Ramble. He reviews and blogs ab football financials. It's really detailed and really insightful.

    http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2016...over-wall.html

    Arsenal are strong, but not as strong as you think...especially with that big, shiny new stadium to pay for.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    [QUOTE=JohnGalt;910906
    Arsenal are strong, but not as strong as you think...especially with that big, shiny new stadium to pay for.[/QUOTE]

    Might be (or probably am) wrong, but thought the Emirates was paid off now (eg, debt repaid).

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Yeah, the Emirates is completely paid off.

    United losing to Watford was fantastic. Nothing like seeing Mourinho struggle.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sullivans Island, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Yeah, the Emirates is completely paid off.

    United losing to Watford was fantastic. Nothing like seeing Mourinho struggle.
    Are y'all sure re: Emirates? 10 years seems fast to pay off something that cost >$250M.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Are y'all sure re: Emirates? 10 years seems fast to pay off something that cost >$250M.
    Hmmm, I thought so, but you're right. That seems awfully fast. Here's an article from 2014 discussing their new financial deals and talking about the stadium debt. Granted, it never explicitly states that the stadium is paid off.

    This Forbes article from 2014 also discusses their financial health. http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcm.../#206373cb1466

    I couldn't find anything that explicitly said if it is or is not completely paid, but it seems they aren't being hampered by it anymore.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Yeah, the Emirates is completely paid off.

    United losing to Watford was fantastic. Nothing like seeing Mourinho struggle.
    Yeah!!!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY

    Gunners 3-0 over Chelski

    Been waiting for this. Skilled, fluid play. Total domination at the Emirates of a side we've had difficulties with for years.

    Sanchez, Theo and Ozil. Sanchez on a steal, going all the way. Theo goal spectacular with multiple passes leading to the assist by Coquelin to Theo in the box for what was an easy one ultimately. Ozil on another takeaway - a long run and a give and go with Sanchez for his goal.

    All goals in H1, but continued to dominate in H2. Didn't coast.

    Now to keep this up.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sullivans Island, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Been waiting for this. Skilled, fluid play. Total domination at the Emirates of a side we've had difficulties with for years.

    Sanchez, Theo and Ozil. Sanchez on a steal, going all the way. Theo goal spectacular with multiple passes leading to the assist by Coquelin to Theo in the box for what was an easy one ultimately. Ozil on another takeaway - a long run and a give and go with Sanchez for his goal.

    All goals in H1, but continued to dominate in H2. Didn't coast.

    Now to keep this up.
    I wanted y'all to draw because that's best for LFC, but a total beatdown of Chelsea is a close, close second. The 3rd goal was peak Ozil. I love that guy.

    The Reds are looking strong. I can't remember a more comprehensive half than the first against Hull yesterday. 13-14 with Suarez produced some more devastating halves, but we always looked like we could concede on any break. Yesterday we were top, top notch in all phases of play. Hull only completed 3 passes in our defensive third in that entire first half! It's hard to believe Klavan and Matip together were acquired for less than $10M.

    Also...in addition to peak Ozil, I think we had peak Guardiola earlier this week:

    https://twitter.com/ManCityGoaIs/sta...31237999734784

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Entertaining weekend, for sure. I had a wedding to attend Saturday in Columbus, so I had to catch all of the games in a pub. Always nice to do every now and then - fun atmosphere.

    Everyone at the top (bar Chelsea) had impressive victories. How poor have Leicester been this season?! I expected a drop-off, do to losing Kante and they were due for some bad breaks in general, but they have not looked good at all.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Fantastic win for The Spurs! What a game and Man City's first loss!

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Crazy, lucky finish for the Gunners today (not that I'm complaining).
    Spurs looked awfully good in manhandling City this morning, and did everyone a favor by tightening the top of the table.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 185
    Last Post: 06-02-2016, 08:42 AM
  2. 2014-15 English Premier League
    By wilson in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 05:14 PM
  3. English Premier League 2013-2014
    By luburch in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 11:29 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2013, 01:10 AM
  5. Duke Soccer Alums in Major League Soccer (MLS)
    By coblue in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 11:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •