Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 178
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle

    Premier League 2016-17 and Other Soccer Musings

    10 days! We are just 10 days away from the start of the EPL! I figured it was time to start a new thread for the upcoming season to capture thoughts on this year's EPL season as well as any MLS, World Cup, etc. commentary. Lots of interesting story lines after a busy summer of the Euros and Copa America.

    I did my usual pre-season predictions, I didn't spend as much time on them as normal, but here is how I see the table shaking out right now. There's still time left in the transfer market and injuries always can change the course of a season. Normally I would try to wait another week, but I'll be off the grid next week. I will undoubtedly be wayyyyy off. I think I had Leicester being relegated last year...

    1. Manchester City - Pep's in charge and they've spent a lot of money.
    2. United - I assume the Pgoba deal will go through, but I can't help but thing that they overpaid. Ibra up top, Mourinho as manager..intersting times
    3. Arsenal - Not picking Arsenal to finish in the top 4 at this point would be stupid
    4. Chelsea - Should bounce back nicely
    5. West Ham - New stadium, more money.
    6. Tottenham - Always will be Tottenham
    7. Leicester - Champions League football, no Kante, new Expectations...a regression to the mean.
    8. Liverpool - I like Klopp, but not sold on the team
    9. Southampton
    10. Everton
    11. Stoke City
    12. Swansea
    13. Crystal Palace
    14. AFC Bournemouth
    15. Watford
    16. Burnley
    17. Middlesbrough
    18. West Brom - Been uninspiring for a few years now
    19. Sunderland - Eventually they will fall off the cliff. I think it's this year
    20. Hull City - Worst team from the championship to make it up this year. Straight back down they go

    I can't wait for another season. Beautiful game.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    So -- who's going off at 500:1 this year? ;>)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Elon, NC

    16-17 EPL Season

    I'm also looking forward to Saturday and Sunday morning Premier League matches, especially after the weather turns cold and I don't feel guilty about ignoring outside chores.
    Tom Mac

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    10 days! We are just 10 days away from the start of the EPL! I figured it was time to start a new thread for the upcoming season to capture thoughts on this year's EPL season as well as any MLS, World Cup, etc. commentary. Lots of interesting story lines after a busy summer of the Euros and Copa America.

    I did my usual pre-season predictions, I didn't spend as much time on them as normal, but here is how I see the table shaking out right now. There's still time left in the transfer market and injuries always can change the course of a season. Normally I would try to wait another week, but I'll be off the grid next week. I will undoubtedly be wayyyyy off. I think I had Leicester being relegated last year...

    1. Manchester City - Pep's in charge and they've spent a lot of money.
    2. United - I assume the Pgoba deal will go through, but I can't help but thing that they overpaid. Ibra up top, Mourinho as manager..intersting times
    3. Arsenal - Not picking Arsenal to finish in the top 4 at this point would be stupid
    4. Chelsea - Should bounce back nicely
    5. West Ham - New stadium, more money.
    6. Tottenham - Always will be Tottenham
    7. Leicester - Champions League football, no Kante, new Expectations...a regression to the mean.
    8. Liverpool - I like Klopp, but not sold on the team
    9. Southampton
    10. Everton
    11. Stoke City
    12. Swansea
    13. Crystal Palace
    14. AFC Bournemouth
    15. Watford
    16. Burnley
    17. Middlesbrough
    18. West Brom - Been uninspiring for a few years now
    19. Sunderland - Eventually they will fall off the cliff. I think it's this year
    20. Hull City - Worst team from the championship to make it up this year. Straight back down they go

    I can't wait for another season. Beautiful game.
    Not picking the Gunners to finish in the top 4 ANY year would be stupid. Unfortunately, that's about all we achieve.

    I also root for Juve, so Euro100+ (if it goes through) for Pogba is a windfall...and Juve keeps signing players so that his loss will not be a big one. MU overpaying to redeem themselves from the mistake in losing him a few years ago?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Not picking the Gunners to finish in the top 4 ANY year would be stupid. Unfortunately, that's about all we achieve.

    I also root for Juve, so Euro100+ (if it goes through) for Pogba is a windfall...and Juve keeps signing players so that his loss will not be a big one. MU overpaying to redeem themselves from the mistake in losing him a few years ago?
    Well yes, you would think people have learned by now, but I saw a preview that had them finishing 5th the other day.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Not picking the Gunners to finish in the top 4 ANY year would be stupid. Unfortunately, that's about all we achieve.

    I also root for Juve, so Euro100+ (if it goes through) for Pogba is a windfall...and Juve keeps signing players so that his loss will not be a big one. MU overpaying to redeem themselves from the mistake in losing him a few years ago?
    It's a huge windfall for Juve, except for the baffling decision to spend 90+ on Gonzolo Higuian. Ugh.

    Xhaka is a nice addition for Aresenal, and I really like Julian Draxler if they do pony up for him, but the lack of depth in the defense is concerning, IMO. And they could always use another striker...

    City's spent a good bit of money, and they aren't done. Everything seems to be pointing to Stones coming in the next week. There's been a youth infusion for sure, and Pep is, well, Pep. I expect City to have something of a rocky start, but come on strong as Pep gets more comfortable with his squad and the players with the system.

    United to me seems like it's kind of an all or nothing deal. It's either going to go smashingly, or Rooney won't fit in, Jose will go all Jose and start lashing out at the media and FA for conspiring to keep United down, and there won't be enough room for everyone to be happy. As a City backer, I'm hoping for the latter.

    I like Tottenham as much as Arsenal and more than Chelsea, but I'd have liked to seen even more improvements in squad depth. That being said, I think counting on continued growth and improvement from that young squad makes a lot of sense.

    Don't know what to think of Liverpool. Leicester is going to take a step back, but they'll still be good, IMO. Liked the additions of Kaputska, Musa and Mendys a lot.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    It's a huge windfall for Juve, except for the baffling decision to spend 90+ on Gonzolo Higuian. Ugh.

    Xhaka is a nice addition for Aresenal, and I really like Julian Draxler if they do pony up for him, but the lack of depth in the defense is concerning, IMO. And they could always use another striker...

    City's spent a good bit of money, and they aren't done. Everything seems to be pointing to Stones coming in the next week. There's been a youth infusion for sure, and Pep is, well, Pep. I expect City to have something of a rocky start, but come on strong as Pep gets more comfortable with his squad and the players with the system.

    United to me seems like it's kind of an all or nothing deal. It's either going to go smashingly, or Rooney won't fit in, Jose will go all Jose and start lashing out at the media and FA for conspiring to keep United down, and there won't be enough room for everyone to be happy. As a City backer, I'm hoping for the latter.

    I like Tottenham as much as Arsenal and more than Chelsea, but I'd have liked to seen even more improvements in squad depth. That being said, I think counting on continued growth and improvement from that young squad makes a lot of sense. Don't know what to think of Liverpool. Leicester is going to take a step back, but they'll still be good, IMO. Liked the additions of Kaputska, Musa and Mendys a lot .
    Agree...few thoughts:

    1. Have never liked City. Nouveau riche to me with ME money (like Chelski with Russian oligarch funding). And have never forgotten the raid on the Gunners a few years ago (Nasri, Toure, etc)

    2. The loss of Per hurts...who knows if Debauchy will be around as well. I'm on record as to liking Giroud, with all his constraints. But we do need help up top.

    3. The Foxes seem to be keeping their stars, despite the Wenger's efforts (eg, Vardy).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Baltimore
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    10 days! We are just 10 days away from the start of the EPL! I figured it was time to start a new thread for the upcoming season to capture thoughts on this year's EPL season as well as any MLS, World Cup, etc. commentary. Lots of interesting story lines after a busy summer of the Euros and Copa America.

    I did my usual pre-season predictions, I didn't spend as much time on them as normal, but here is how I see the table shaking out right now. There's still time left in the transfer market and injuries always can change the course of a season. Normally I would try to wait another week, but I'll be off the grid next week. I will undoubtedly be wayyyyy off. I think I had Leicester being relegated last year...

    1. Manchester City - Pep's in charge and they've spent a lot of money.
    2. United - I assume the Pgoba deal will go through, but I can't help but thing that they overpaid. Ibra up top, Mourinho as manager..intersting times
    3. Arsenal - Not picking Arsenal to finish in the top 4 at this point would be stupid
    4. Chelsea - Should bounce back nicely
    5. West Ham - New stadium, more money.
    6. Tottenham - Always will be Tottenham
    7. Leicester - Champions League football, no Kante, new Expectations...a regression to the mean.
    8. Liverpool - I like Klopp, but not sold on the team
    9. Southampton
    10. Everton
    11. Stoke City
    12. Swansea
    13. Crystal Palace
    14. AFC Bournemouth
    15. Watford
    16. Burnley
    17. Middlesbrough
    18. West Brom - Been uninspiring for a few years now
    19. Sunderland - Eventually they will fall off the cliff. I think it's this year
    20. Hull City - Worst team from the championship to make it up this year. Straight back down they go

    I can't wait for another season. Beautiful game.
    1. Man. City - Just too much talent.
    2. Arsenal - Always the bridesmaid
    3. Man United - I really don't care for Mourinho as a person, but he will coach United into the Champion's League
    4. Liverpool - Klopp's first full year, and no European football should help them focus on the premier League. (wishfull thinking probably YNWA)
    5. Chelsea - Also no European football to worry about, but I had to drop one of the big four to put Liverpool in the CL.
    6. Tottenham - They blew their shot at the title last year.
    7. West Ham - Solid if not spectacular team.
    8. Leicester City - A good core, but not a lot of depth. Champion's League will take away from some of their focus, and if Mahrez leaves they will be even lower.
    9. Stoke - Solid middle of the pack team.
    10. Everton - Ditto
    11. Southampton - Ditto X 2
    12. Bournemouth - If they can stay healthy I can see them fighting for a mid-table spot
    13. Swansea - Again fighting to get to mid-table.
    14. West Brom - hope to avoid a relegation battle, Pulis should help them avoid going down.
    15. Crystal Palace - Very inconsistent
    16. Middlesborough - Has a shot at staying up.
    17. Watford - Will be in a real fight to avoid relegation.
    18. Sunderland - This is the year they finally go down.
    19. Burnley - Just not talented enough.
    20. Hull - A club in chaos, they still don't have a manager. I would be surprised if they didn't finish dead last.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    I love the predictions. It will be interesting to see where everybody ends up. I haven't thought about it much or even followed what is going on. I do have some thoughts however.

    I don't think the Gooners get in the top 4 this year.
    Can Pep add the much needed spice to Man City that makes them a real team?
    I think the Spurs will do well again or at least better than these predictions.
    Liverpool? Who knows? I am hoping for them but it's going to be tough!
    The Chosen one. Its going to be interesting and bloody entertaining as usual.
    Chelski will be in the top 4.
    My brother in law. Mad Leicester fan is going to be very disappointed. I agree. Reversion to the mean. Just above the relegation zone.
    If it happens again Iím leaving.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0lAf-IssD0

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Had to miss the opening weekend due to travel. Not shocked by any result. Hard to completely gauge teams early with all of the summer competitions this year and the transfer window still open.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Man City - Stoke was pretty entertaining.

    Liverpool next, first three games on the road because renovations to Anfield not done yet. I was just told they are adding 10,000 seats -- that's not right is it?

    By the way, the reason I got interested in Liverpool stems from getting hooked on this song one late night in Wilson House. A really brief background taste at the beginning and at 2:10 but does not really kick in until the end:

    https://youtu.be/TeyHPAdxuy0

    (crowd singing "Never Walk Alone")
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 08-20-2016 at 08:31 AM.

  12. #12
    City seems to be catching on to what Pep wants. Still, lots of development to come with Sane and Gundogan coming after the break, and with the expected addition of Claudio Bravo to give us more of a ball-playing GK, like Pep really wants. The early Manchester Derby will be particularly interesting given the starts of the Red and the Blues

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Well, Burnley not wasting any time.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    And again.

  15. #15
    After watching young Mason Holgate for two matches, it's not hard to understand why Koeman thought the club could afford to sell Stones. The other newcomers, Bolasie and Gueye, look like they can both help a lot. Feeling cautiously optimistic about Everton contending for a Europa League slot.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Really thought Chelsea were going to drop points to Watford and Spurs to Palace. Should not have got my hopes up. I think City may end up running away with the league sooner rather than later.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Already the international break

    City have looked really impressive so far. United and Chelsea a bit fortunate to be on 9 points. Transfer window is closing soon. Don't see any major shakeups happening.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Already the international break

    City have looked really impressive so far. United and Chelsea a bit fortunate to be on 9 points. Transfer window is closing soon. Don't see any major shakeups happening.
    City looked great this time last year too. But yeah, yesterday was clinincal at times.

    Manchester Derby in two weeks. Should be fun.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Things should start to get really interesting with the Champions League starting back this week.

    City handled United Easily. Chelsea held to a point. Arsenal win late on a fortunate penalty. Liverpool dismantled Leicester.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sullivans Island, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Man City - Stoke was pretty entertaining.

    Liverpool next, first three games on the road because renovations to Anfield not done yet. I was just told they are adding 10,000 seats -- that's not right is it?

    By the way, the reason I got interested in Liverpool stems from getting hooked on this song one late night in Wilson House. A really brief background taste at the beginning and at 2:10 but does not really kick in until the end:

    https://youtu.be/TeyHPAdxuy0

    (crowd singing "Never Walk Alone")
    My understanding is that the redevelopment is mostly about the luxury / executive suites. So while a 'redevelopment' that only adds 10k seats may not sound like a lot, I believe the intent is to dramatically increase LFC's executive seating availability...which are obviously sold for a premium.

    What's interesting about that song is that Pink Floyd were big Arsenal supporters.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 185
    Last Post: 06-02-2016, 07:42 AM
  2. 2014-15 English Premier League
    By wilson in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 04:14 PM
  3. English Premier League 2013-2014
    By luburch in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 10:29 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2013, 12:10 AM
  5. Duke Soccer Alums in Major League Soccer (MLS)
    By coblue in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •