Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    If you haven't yet seen Mesut Özil's stoppage time game-winner from yesterday's Champs League tilt vs. Ludogorets, you need to. A thing of true beauty.
    Good day for the Premier League yesterday, with Arsenal's comeback and City's outstanding last 50 minutes against Barca leading to a 3-1 win. City's still a work in progress, but the ceiling is really, really high. DeBruyne continues to shine -- and stand as one of Mourinho's greatest failures. City's got Boro on Saturday. Hopefully that's 3 more points and a bigger cushion in goal differential. North London Derby should be a good one. Arsenal's in fine form and Spurs D continues to be outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    ...DeBruyne continues to shine -- and stand as one of Mourinho's greatest failures. City's got Boro on Saturday. Hopefully that's 3 more points and a bigger cushion in goal differential...
    Boy, do I love to watch De Bruyne play, even if it is for those pale blue interlopers.

Yep.

Boy, do I love to watch De Bruyne play, even if it is for those pale blue interlopers.
    He's awesome to watch. Good enough I actually bought something in that otherwise too close to Carolina blue that City sports. Weird rooting for a team in that color ...

If you haven't yet seen Mesut Özil's stoppage time game-winner from yesterday's Champs League tilt vs. Ludogorets, you need to. A thing of true beauty.

Spectacular, from the little flip over the GK to the way he patiently let one of the defenders overrun him.

I like this team, especially when it is in sync. Alexis, Santi, Mesut...and I remain a Giroud fan. Gunners-Spurs should be a good one...too early in the season for the Spurs choke...

COYG!

New faces at the top of the table. Liverpool and Chelsea overtake City/Arsenal (who both drew this weekend) heading into international break. Conte seems to have settled in and they are playing some gorgeous football. Hate that I had to admit that.

Hard for me to ever trust Liverpool based on recent years, but they are enjoying themselves at the moment. I imagine will see the table shake-up some more before Christmas. The holidays always make for some odd results.

Meanwhile, USMNT qualifier this Friday against Mexico. Pulisic with another assist this weekend for Dortmund. Hope to see him in the starting XI.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    New faces at the top of the table. Liverpool and Chelsea overtake City/Arsenal (who both drew this weekend) heading into international break. Conte seems to have settled in and they are playing some gorgeous football. Hate that I had to admit that.

Hard for me to ever trust Liverpool based on recent years, but they are enjoying themselves at the moment. I imagine will see the table shake-up some more before Christmas. The holidays always make for some odd results.

Meanwhile, USMNT qualifier this Friday against Mexico. Pulisic with another assist this weekend for Dortmund. Hope to see him in the starting XI.
    I thought Leicester would regress to the mean a bit, but they may be fighting to stay out of the relegation zone pretty soon if not already fighting it (only 12 points; the top relegation risk team at present has 11). Too bad, pulling for the foxes. Still very early, obviously, but not the start you want.

Liverpool seems to really be meshing well.

Pulling for Coach Bradley at Swansea, but something needs to click for them to avoid relegation. Only five points through eleven matches is dismal.

Nice play by USMNT to even the Mexico match at the 50-minute mark. Like me some Bobby Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Nice play by USMNT to even the Mexico match at the 50-minute mark. Like me some Bobby Wood.
    So, who else opted for watching USMNT over Duke MBB? I don't regret my choice, but man.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    So, who else opted for watching USMNT over Duke MBB? I don't regret my choice, but man.
    Streamed hoops, tv on USMNT.

Tough one for the US. That match is always chippy, but it was getting pretty raw out there before the late goal.

These dueling USMNT and Duke games are killing me. I'll record both, but the idea that I will get to watch both is a pipe dream.

Anyone holding out hope for 3 points tonight? That stumble against Mexico really sucks.

Anyone still confident in Klinsmann as a coach?

Anyone still confident in Klinsmann as a coach?
    Not sure if the problem is coaching, or talent. The fact that Michael Bradley is one of the best players in our country is sad. The fact that this has been a true statement for a decade now is really sad.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Not sure if the problem is coaching, or talent. The fact that Michael Bradley is one of the best players in our country is sad. The fact that this has been a true statement for a decade now is really sad.
    Indeed. It would have been very interesting if we had some special talent during Klinsman's tenure, but it does not seem to be meant to be.

The talent level has fallen off. Mexico and Costa Rica are both better teams. Hopefully there will be no slip ups going forward.

I think the talent level is fine. To me, Klinsmann is 100% at fault for failures now. It's been five years.

I think the talent level is fine. To me, Klinsmann is 100% at fault for failures now. It's been five years.
    Just asking, but best I can tell we only have 3 or four players in the Premiere League. I know we want to keep them home and all, but the free market would seem to indicate that we just do not have elite-level talent for the most part. The Mexican league is about 10th in average salary around the world. US, where most of our players compete, is 22nd.

http://deadspin.com/chart-the-averag...-ar-1658856283

I realize that it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, and I am not knowledgeable enough to know if another coach would get better, worse, or similar results. I see very few players though that seem world-class when on the pitch. Compare that to the USWNT, for example, where you can see that we really have some of the elite female soccer players in the world.

The pool of talented US male players seems pretty small, and those we have play in an inferior league against less-challenging opponents. I look forward to BPL futbol every Saturday that it is on. I cannot sit through an American game.

May just be me though.

Gunners absolutely stole a point at Old Trafford on a beautiful header from Giroud. Their only shot on target all day, and their first goal at Trafford in NINE YEARS.

Gunners absolutely stole a point at Old Trafford on a beautiful header from Giroud. Their only shot on target all day, and their first goal at Trafford in NINE YEARS.
    Red Devils at the door all match, late equalizer by the Gunners to draw the point. Agreed, a quite fortunate result for Arsenal.

Agree..and with OPK. I've been saying how much I like Olivier...have his limits, but has been very productive for us. Just need to feed him where he can do some damage...

Whew...

Pretty sure it's the first league goal against Mourinho in nine years and not first goal at OT in nine years.

Pretty sure it's the first league goal against Mourinho in nine years and not first goal at OT in nine years.
    I think you're right. Good catch. Still seems preposterous.