Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    VEC suffering a little from heat. May be having caddie mark ball on green.

Looking very shaky.

Down 1 five to play.

Now sitting next to a tree with ice pack on head. Allowed a 10 min break for "sudden illness."

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    VEC suffering a little from heat. May be having caddie mark ball on green.

Looking very shaky.
    I noticed a hole or two ago that her hat was wet from sweat, and that after she teed off she went off to the porta-john. AFter winning the hole, the medical staff just had her sit down under a tree, and are applying a cold towel to her forehead (and then Fox went to commercial! )

Talk about the difference between 18 and 36 holes

Back on the course, but can't reach the green on the next hole (par 3). Loses hole. Down two, four to play.

Great putt on 17! Will Seoung miss hers? Yes! She's still n the match, down 1 with one to play.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

VEC with long birdie putt from off the green to win the 17th. Down 1, one to play.

Can she get to extra holes? Will she be able to last through extra holes?

Seong sinks long birdie on 18 to win. VEC just not up with the heat problems.

Great putt by Seong. Much like the shot in the natty vs carolina after Page's 3 to tie. LGD!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Too bad she wasn't well. I think she was hypoglycemic and dehydrated.
    Still put up a great fight and the match went all 36 holes. The putt she made to win the 35th hole was crazy good. She's an incredible competitor and we're lucky to have her.

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Too bad she wasn't well. I think she was hypoglycemic and dehydrated.
    Still put up a great fight and the match went all 36 holes. The putt she made to win the 35th hole was crazy good. She's an incredible competitor and we're lucky to have her.
    I am not a doctor but why make them play 36 holes in one day in the heat in Philly? You really need a nutritionist to tell you what to have for lunch.
    I know Virginia. She is an great player, an incredible competitor and a better person that she is a competitive golfer.

SoCal

They play 36 holes for the same reason they play two 20 minute halves.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Well, considering the # of time-outs, clock/play reviews, commercials and length of each one, especially during ncaa tourney time, I guess they both add up to about the same amount of minutes .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Uhhh, Indoor66, back to my original point. I know it has been done from time immemorial, but the 36-hole same day final is really not right. The tournament prior to the finals is an 18-hole elimination event, with (I believe) one 18-hole match per day. Then suddenly the USGA determines the champion in the finals by playing 36 holes in one day. A 36-hole marathon does not test the same things as an 18-hole event. If you need 36 holes, have them on consecutive days.

Kindly,
    Sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Uhhh, Indoor66, back to my original point. I know it has been done from time immemorial, but the 36-hole same day final is really not right. The tournament prior to the finals is an 18-hole elimination event, with (I believe) one 18-hole match per day. Then suddenly the USGA determines the champion in the finals by playing 36 holes in one day. A 36-hole marathon does not test the same things as an 18-hole event. If you need 36 holes, have them on consecutive days.

Kindly,
    Sage
    I guess I don't understand the complaint. It is an athletic event. Yes, the 18 hole match per day is the format leading up to the finals - as there are time constraints in getting the play completed in the preliminary rounds. The 36 hole final is the ultimate test of both skill and endurance as part of the determination of the best of the best. I, personally, don't find that unreasonable. It is unfortunate that Virginia had an illness but that is part of the game. Amile hurt his foot. When I was that age, and up into my 50's, I often played 36 holes in a day - some times 45 holes. The problem that I see is that our favorite got sick and it affected the outcome. It is an unfortunate rub of the green - not a problem with the rules or format.

I see both sides

While we might have another view if they other player got sick, most golf competitions are 18 holes.

Most golf competitions are 18 holes. NCAA basketball is not a season of 20 minute games followed by a tournament of 5 rounds of 20 minute games with a 40 minuted championship game. I am old enough to remember when the US Open was a 36 hole final that was changed after Ken Venturi almost had heat stroke. If they changed that, why did they leave the match play championships at 36 holes?

The 36 hole competitions add new elements to the equation. Stamina, meal choice at the break, etc. etc. Both players had to deal with it and both knew what could be involved.

I think the 2nd and 3rd rounds are played on the same day, so this is not the only potential 36 hole day.

I would get rid of the 36 hole days.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    While we might have another view if they other player got sick, most golf competitions are 18 holes.

Most golf competitions are 18 holes. NCAA basketball is not a season of 20 minute games followed by a tournament of 5 rounds of 20 minute games with a 40 minuted championship game. I am old enough to remember when the US Open was a 36 hole final that was changed after Ken Venturi almost had heat stroke. If they changed that, why did they leave the match play championships at 36 holes?

The 36 hole competitions add new elements to the equation. Stamina, meal choice at the break, etc. etc. Both players had to deal with it and both knew what could be involved.

I think the 2nd and 3rd rounds are played on the same day, so this is not the only potential 36 hole day.

I would get rid of the 36 hole days.

SoCal
    The U. S. Open is a stroke play event.

Very courageous and gutsy performance by VEC! She is a tough competitor. I've never had heat stroke but she did not look good on the back nine of the 36-hole playoff. It's hard enough to play good golf when you're in control of all your senses and abilities; I cannot imagine trying to play a high-level when you feel that badly. But she took her competitor right to the last hole and was beaten by an incredible putt on the 18th hole. I thought that was in 3-putt territory. Her opponent made some incredible shots in the last five or six holes to win that match. Otherwise, VEC would won and she is certainly a champion in my mind!

Yea, I'm not sure what the point is of a 36-hole final match, when all of the other matches have been 18 holes, other than the long tradition of this format (and the USGA does not like to alter their traditions). Obviously, potential fatigue can play a part in who wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Dan Brooks is the best coach in colege golf, perhaps of all time; on the same level, comparatively, as Coach Krzyzewski. Sadly, for fans of Duke Golf, Leona Maguire has suddenly and unexpectedly decided to leave Duke to join the LPGA tour.

Had she returned for her junior year Duke would likely have been the favorite to win Coach Brooks' 7th national championship. Now the team is going to be shorthanded all season. There is not enough time or opportunity to recruit another player.

It's an unfortunate situation that some might consider unfair to Coach Brooks, the team, and Duke University, but that's a matter of opinion and perspective. Regardless, I will be pulling for the team to find a way to figure this out, and I wish Leona Maguire well.
    I have yet to see any "hard news" that Leona has, in fact, turned professional and will not be returning to Duke in the Fall. The latest news on GoDuke.com (about Leona being the new number one ranked amateur in the world) indicates she WILL be returning to Duke?

Leona

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I have yet to see any "hard news" that Leona has, in fact, turned professional and will not be returning to Duke in the Fall. The latest news on GoDuke.com (about Leona being the new number one ranked amateur in the world) indicates she WILL be returning to Duke?
    I would assume that she will be at Duke and playing for Duke in the Fall. According to this article Leona will enter the Q School in the Fall as an amateur. There are 3 stages to the Q School and she is exempt from the 1st. If she does well enough in the 2nd and 3rd than she will get a card for either the Symetra or LPGA tours starting in 2017. If she fails to get her LPGA card then she will play for Duke in the Spring and then go pro and play Symetra after the college golf season.

I am not sure of all the rules but her ranking may qualify for some kind of Symetra status no matter how she does at Q School.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I would assume that she will be at Duke and playing for Duke in the Fall. According to this article Leona will enter the Q School in the Fall as an amateur. There are 3 stages to the Q School and she is exempt from the 1st. If she does well enough in the 2nd and 3rd than she will get a card for either the Symetra or LPGA tours starting in 2017. If she fails to get her LPGA card then she will play for Duke in the Spring and then go pro and play Symetra after the college golf season.

I am not sure of all the rules but her ranking may qualify for some kind of Symetra status no matter how she does at Q School.

SoCal
    Symetra plays in Asheville at our club, but it is being re-done at the moment. Supposed to be finished before the 2017 season, but I will believe it when I see it. Sure would like to see her play here.

ricks