Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60
  1. #1

    Duke Women's Golf

    This has been quite a summer for current and past Duke women golfers, and it continues.

    Brittany Lang won the US Women's Open.
    Duke soph Virginia Elena Carta made the cut in an LPGA event after earning the invite by winning the NCAA individual championship.

    Duke junior Leona Maguire just finished low am in the British women's open. The top 6 ranked amateurs were in the field. Leona's sister Lisa, also a Duke junior and member of the golf team, was her caddy.

    Maguire and Duke grad Laetitia Beck will play in the Olympics, representing Ireland and Israel. Lisa will again caddy for Leona.

    Carta and Duke grad Celine Boutier tie it up in the US Women's Amateur starting today.

    Hope I did not miss anything.

    SoCal

  2. #2
    thanks for the summary.

    great stuff!

  3. #3
    Yes, thanks for the summary. Great summer for Duke Women's golf. A testament to the recruiting and coaching ability of Coach Brooks and to the young women he has brought to Duke!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    I saw that Leona did really well at the Women's British Open. Unfortunately bogied the last hole, but still a great showing.
    "The one thing that does not change is that at any and every time it appears that there have been great changes." --M. Proust

  5. #5
    Celine is in pretty good shape to advance to match play. After an even-par 71 yesterday, she is even through seven holes today.

    Virginia is digging herself a hole. After +3 yesterday, she bogied two of the first three holes today.

    Link to live scoring.

    http://www.usga.org/championships/20...r/scoring.html

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Yes, thanks for the summary. Great summer for Duke Women's golf. A testament to the recruiting and coaching ability of Coach Brooks and to the young women he has brought to Duke!
    Dan Brooks is the best coach in colege golf, perhaps of all time; on the same level, comparatively, as Coach Krzyzewski. Sadly, for fans of Duke Golf, Leona Maguire has suddenly and unexpectedly decided to leave Duke to join the LPGA tour.

    Had she returned for her junior year Duke would likely have been the favorite to win Coach Brooks' 7th national championship. Now the team is going to be shorthanded all season. There is not enough time or opportunity to recruit another player.

    It's an unfortunate situation that some might consider unfair to Coach Brooks, the team, and Duke University, but that's a matter of opinion and perspective. Regardless, I will be pulling for the team to find a way to figure this out, and I wish Leona Maguire well.
    Last edited by Steven43; 08-02-2016 at 10:18 AM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Dan Brooks is the best coach in colege golf, without question. On the same level comparatively as Coach Krzyzewski. Sadly, for fans of Duke Golf, Leona Maguire has suddenly and unexpectedly decided to leave Duke to try and join the LPGA tour.

    Had she returned for her junior year Duke would likely have been the favorites to win Coach Brooks' 7th national championship. Now the team is going to be shorthanded all season. There just is not enough time or opportunity to recruit a player to replace Leona.

    It's an unfortunate situation that some might consider unfair to Coach Brooks, the team, and Duke University, but that's a matter of opinion and perspective. Regardless, I will be pulling for the team to find a way to figure this out, and I wish Leona Maguire well.
    Not sure how much actual coaching goes on but he is one hell of a recruiter.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Dan Brooks is the best coach in colege golf, without question. On the same level comparatively as Coach Krzyzewski. Sadly, for fans of Duke Golf, Leona Maguire has suddenly and unexpectedly decided to leave Duke to try and join the LPGA tour.

    Had she returned for her junior year Duke would likely have been the favorites to win Coach Brooks' 7th national championship. Now the team is going to be shorthanded all season. There just is not enough time or opportunity to recruit a player to replace Leona.

    It's an unfortunate situation that some might consider unfair to Coach Brooks, the team, and Duke University, but that's a matter of opinion and perspective. Regardless, I will be pulling for the team to find a way to figure this out, and I wish Leona Maguire well.
    Ugh....not good news for Duke women's golf (although I could not find any news stories about her leaving Duke for the LPGA tour? is it official?)....but not completely surprising. I'm not sure she had that much more to accomplish in collegiate golf in the US. Best of luck to her on the pro tour!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Ugh...not good news for Duke women's golf (although I could not find any news stories about her leaving Duke for the LPGA tour? is it official?)...but not completely surprising. I'm not sure she had that much more to accomplish in collegiate golf in the US. Best of luck to her on the pro tour!
    Brittany Lang stayed only two years and just won the U.S. Women's Open.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Brittany Lang stayed only two years and just won the U.S. Women's Open.
    Yea, it's a little like men's basketball. The top women golfers (and certain other college athletes) have the opportunity to turn professional before their collegiate career is done, make some money and devote their lives 100% to their ultimate goal in life - playing professional golf. I don't really blame them for taking this opportunity but obviously makes the college coach's life more difficult.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Ugh...not good news for Duke women's golf (although I could not find any news stories about her leaving Duke for the LPGA tour? is it official?)...but not completely surprising. I'm not sure she had that much more to accomplish in collegiate golf in the US. Best of luck to her on the pro tour!
    No, it's not 'official', but this information is extremely legit. Can't reveal details, though. Leona could still change her mind, so please don't help make her case for her with comments like 'I'm not sure she had that much more to accomplish in collegiate golf'. Come on, man. I selfishly want her to stay at Duke!😃

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    No, it's not 'official', but this information is extremely legit. Can't reveal details, though. Leona could still change her mind, so please don't help make her case for her with comments like 'I'm not sure she had that much more to accomplish in collegiate golf'. Come on, man. I selfishly want her to stay at Duke!😃
    Sorry....I guess I assumed it was a done deal!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Sorry...I guess I assumed it was a done deal!
    Well, it is basically a done deal. But until she officially announces as such she could still change her mind. Fingers crossed.

  14. #14
    With about 50 competitors still on the course, Virginia and Celine are both well inside the projected cut line to advance to match play. Virginia engineered a five-shot turnaround to finish -3 for the day and E for two rounds. Celine went +2 today to finish +2 for two rounds. The cut line is projected to be at +5.

  15. #15
    Both Virginia (5 and 4) and Celine (1 up) won their first-round matches.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Both Virginia (5 and 4) and Celine (1 up) won their first-round matches.
    5 and 4 is especially impressive.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Brittany Lang stayed only two years and just won the U.S. Women's Open.
    Maybe if she'd stayed until graduation it wouldn't have taken her what, 10 years to win it? Just kiddin', but she didn't exactly set the pro golf world on fire.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Maybe if she'd stayed until graduation it wouldn't have taken her what, 10 years to win it? Just kiddin', but she didn't exactly set the pro golf world on fire.
    Very,very few do...😈😎

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Maybe if she'd stayed until graduation it wouldn't have taken her what, 10 years to win it? Just kiddin', but she didn't exactly set the pro golf world on fire.
    Well she has finished top 20-30 in money earnings about every year. Brittany hasnt been great, but very consistent and a solid performer for years.

  20. #20
    can't begrudge Leona for leaving, if she does, but the timing is tough.

Similar Threads

  1. Duke Women's Golf in NCAA Finals
    By sagegrouse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 05-27-2016, 03:57 PM
  2. Duke Women's Golf Coming to SoCal
    By SoCalDukeFan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-09-2015, 10:39 AM
  3. Duke women capture ACC golf title
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 12:27 PM
  4. Duke Women's Golf 2012 ACC Champions
    By roywhite in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2012, 08:33 PM
  5. Duke Women's Golf in Los Angeles
    By SoCalDukeFan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 12:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •