Peaky Blinders! Netflix

Since the off topic is filled with recomendations of what to watch on TV I would like to recommend Peaky Blinders. It's about a gang in Birmingham UK early 1900's (where I was born). My father said that my grandfather was a 'pop man' in those days and knew the gang. I have been in many of the pubs that are shown in the series. Anyway, I think it's a bloody good story and well filmed. The music is also frickin awesome. Since the Brummie accents are a little bit thick I recommend the use of sub titles for all you yanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Since the off topic is filled with recomendations of what to watch on TV I would like to recommend Peaky Blinders. It's about a gang in Birmingham UK early 1900's (where I was born). My father said that my grandfather was a 'pop man' in those days and knew the gang. I have been in many of the pubs that are shown in the series. Anyway, I think it's a bloody good story and well filmed. The music is also frickin awesome. Since the Brummie accents are a little bit thick I recommend the use of sub titles for all you yanks!
    My fiance and I are somewhere in the middle of season two and we love it! DBR never ceases to amaze in its breadth of SMEs (which...as the local Brummie I think you're now crowned!). Anyhow, I've got a couple questions:

1. How would you classify Alfie Solomons's accent? I think he's the most difficult to understand of all, but he doesn't sound quite Cockney to me.
    2. Ada sounds Scouse to me. Does she to you? (maybe it's my footie loyalties affecting my ears though)
    3. Do those little 'freighters' (for lack of a better term) still cruise up and down the canals in the UK? I feel like I've read how big of a deal the Manchester ship canal was, but I had no idea that there were so many of them all over the country and that you could essentially sneak down from the North to the South.

I think I read that it's going to continue through Season 5 which is great! I just hope they get to a WestBrom or Birmingham City match soon!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    My fiance and I are somewhere in the middle of season two and we love it! DBR never ceases to amaze in its breadth of SMEs (which...as the local Brummie I think you're now crowned!). Anyhow, I've got a couple questions:

1. How would you classify Alfie Solomons's accent? I think he's the most difficult to understand of all, but he doesn't sound quite Cockney to me.
    2. Ada sounds Scouse to me. Does she to you? (maybe it's my footie loyalties affecting my ears though)
    3. Do those little 'freighters' (for lack of a better term) still cruise up and down the canals in the UK? I feel like I've read how big of a deal the Manchester ship canal was, but I had no idea that there were so many of them all over the country and that you could essentially sneak down from the North to the South.

I think I read that it's going to continue through Season 5 which is great! I just hope they get to a WestBrom or Birmingham City match soon!
    Tom Hardyese is the only way to classify Alfie Solomon's accent. He's wonderful in the role (as he is in all roles) but it's an affected attempt to offer a mumble that is only as coherent as it needs to be to be barely understood.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post

I think I read that it's going to continue through Season 5 which is great! I just hope they get to a West Brom or Birmingham City match soon!
    Not so sure about the SME. I haven't lived in Brum since I was 26 which is quite some time ago. Anyway, I'll give your questions a go.

-Alfie Solomons accent: The real cockney accent comes from East London and Alfie is from Camden. Could that be it? Not sure. He is also a Jew with a Russian Mother. That probably means he has close coonections to his community...Thats my guess.
    -Adas accent: I think she does a reasonable job with her accent but I do agree that sometimes loses it and listening on some youtube videos I agree that there seems to be a bit of a scouse accent there. I looked Sophie Rundle up and she comes from Bournemouth which has a generic southern accent, there's nothing unique. Ranges from your bog-standard "common" accent through bog-standard middle-class, and beyond. maybe thats why she cant do a good job at it.
    -Freighters/ We call them barges or narrow boats. There are a lot of them around Brum. My dad still refers to a canal as "the cut". These days they are used mainly for recreational purposes. You can have a really good holiday on a narrow boat. The good thing is that there are 'lot' of pubs along the canals of Britain. I love the locks. Locks.jpg

What does your fiance think of Cillian Murphy? By the way, I am a Birmingham City fan and lived for the first 12 years of my life a few minutes away from St. Andrews!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

This is by far my favorite show on Netflix!!! I havent jumped into season 3 yet, but I can't wait to spend a day streaming the whole thing in one sitting.

We watched this show as well. It is excellent. Season 3 is bonkers, often in a good way, sometimes in a not so good way.

Tom Hardy is great in this, as he is in almost everything he has done. There is one particular *long* scene with him and Cillian Murphy that may be the best TV I've seen. Murphy is excellent as well, as is Helen McCrory (Ms. Damian Lewis) and the guy that plays Arthur.

There is a show in the US that hits much of the same beats and has many of the same archetypes - Sons of Anarchy. Peaky Blinders is superior in almost every way (although Season 2 of SOA is on par). But the gang, the capers, the constant leaving the audience out of the full scheme are very similar. Peaky Blinder mostly leaves out all of the intra-gang conflict that drug SOA down as well. In any event, if you liked SOA, you'll love Peaky Blinders, I think. Plus it's quick 6 episode seasons, in the UK Style.

No comments on the music?

No comments on the music?
    I love it, my wife finds it distracting. But, for me, it's all sludgy guitar rock, which is awesome -- Nick Cave, Arctic Monkeys/Last Shadow Puppets, Jack White, PJ Harvey. I am a sucker for modern music in period settings (a la Django Unchained).

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I love it, my wife finds it distracting. But, for me, it's all sludgy guitar rock, which is awesome -- Nick Cave, Arctic Monkeys/Last Shadow Puppets, Jack White, PJ Harvey. I am a sucker for modern music in period settings (a la Django Unchained).
    I love it too! To me the excellent musical background choices just complete the whole experience of the show! Sludgy guitar rock is a good description of it. It's heavy as well!

I love it too! To me the excellent musical background choices just complete the whole experience of the show!
    I was in heaven when Bowie was played at a particularly surreal sequence of story. It enhanced the mood and atmosphere tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    I was in heaven when Bowie was played at a particularly surreal sequence of story. It enhanced the mood and atmosphere tremendously.
    Seems like David was a fan of the show too.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a7018081.html

NME reports how - in an interview with BBC Radio 6 - Murphy said: "This mad thing happened about six months ago I suppose, maybe last Autumn. Steve Knight [the show's creator] got a call from David Bowie’s people saying that Bowie really wanted to have some of his music used in the show.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Thanks for the recommendation. We've watched 2 episodes and now that we've finished season 4 of Longmire we'll work on this. I'm glad the "execution" was staged.

Anyone know if there will be a season 5 for Longmire?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. We've watched 2 episodes and now that we've finished season 4 of Longmire we'll work on this. I'm glad the "execution" was staged.

Anyone know if there will be a season 5 for Longmire?
    Yes, in September.