Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Netflix Stranger Things

No spoilers, highly recommended new 8 hour mini series on Netflix.

Thoroughly enjoyed it!

This is one I've had my eye on for a while now. I'm really relieved to see it reviewed so well, since I was afraid I'd be disappointed. Due to work and family plans, I probably won't have time to watch this for a couple weeks, but I'm looking forward to it. I've read that the music will appeal to people of my general generation (or who remember the 80s).

Quote Originally Posted by Doria View Post
    This is one I've had my eye on for a while now. I'm really relieved to see it reviewed so well, since I was afraid I'd be disappointed. Due to work and family plans, I probably won't have time to watch this for a couple weeks, but I'm looking forward to it. I've read that the music will appeal to people of my general generation (or who remember the 80s).
    The music was good, and for those that played Dungeons and Dragons, there's a nice nod throughout to D&D.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    The music was good, and for those that played Dungeons and Dragons, there's a nice nod throughout to D&D.
    Well, I'd intended to save this, but Sunday, my roommate and I needed something to watch before bed and we started this. Suffice to say that last night we finished it up. It was really great!

We couldn't make it all the way through Intruders, but we thought the actress playing the (evil) little girl was very good, an opinion cemented by her (less evil) role in this.

Highly recommended for anyone with Netflix.

I've watched the first episode just to see what the hype was about. Definitely planning to watch the rest, but not until I finish watching this season of The Americans (which, by the way, is pretty terrific).

Stranger Things is worth watching for the cool synth music alone.

We just started it too and are also loving it. E.T. + The Goonies + The X-Files with a killer soundtrack.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    We just started it too and are also loving it. E.T. + The Goonies + The X-Files with a killer soundtrack.
    Definitely an ode to 80s era movies/TV, down to the soundtrack, even. And it even has Winona Ryder and Matthew Modine, whose careers kinda scream "late 80s."

Totally binge watched this one. Not a perfect series, but pretty good and creepy.

Halfway through the series. Definitely picks up a bit in episode 3. Enjoying it immensely.

Finished this last night.
    Ready for 6 more episodes... The only things missing from 80s movies were a Delorean, a bullwhip and fedora and a parade to sing twist and shout...

As an added bonus - The creators are from Durham
    http://www.newsobserver.com/entertai...e88426297.html

I finished last night (four straight episodes - no judging!) and definitely enjoyed it. I thought episodes 3-6 were the best and that the final two were a bit garbled, but satisfying and fun.

The story almost more like the story of 80s movies and culture more than the characters in the series. I don't mean this as a criticism, just an observation.

Not certain how you follow it up with a second season, but I will certainly be paying attention.

Is there going to be a second season? Thought it stood well on its own.

Is there going to be a second season? Thought it stood well on its own.
    Matthew Modine says yes.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.digitaltrends.com/movies/stranger-things-season-2-matthew-modine/amp/?client=ms-android-uscellular-us#
    Last edited by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15; 07-22-2016 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Dumb autocorrect

I'm not done yet (so no spoilers!) but have been really enjoying this so far and enjoying the overt nods to so many movies of my childhood.

I hadn't heard about the Durham connection -- then we watched the first episode and they placed Mirkwood near Kerley & Cornwallis. Kind of fun now to watch for the other Derm references here and there. (Jordan HS represent!)

Mixed feelings about a season 2.
    Hope I am wrong!

I haven't seen it yet but intend to. They were talking about how great it was on the sports station on the radio this morning. Funny, huh? I was only half listening, but it sounded like they said it was based on another series. Were they just saying it pays homage to all the old 80s stuff, or is it really based on an older show?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I haven't seen it yet but intend to. They were talking about how great it was on the sports station on the radio this morning. Funny, huh? I was only half listening, but it sounded like they said it was based on another series. Were they just saying it pays homage to all the old 80s stuff, or is it really based on an older show?
    Original with strong 80s influences.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Has Goonies/ET feel to it that you will notice right away but it is definitely it's own show.You will feel like you are back in the 80's.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Mixed feelings about a season 2.
    Hope I am wrong!
    Only through the first 4 episodes, so I cannot form an opinion, yet. BUT, I do remember when Freaks and Geeks was not renewed. I was first disappointed, but then a little relieved, especially when I saw how much John Francis Daley grew the few months following. Shows with kids and growth spurts don't always continue well. And I thought the F&G storyline ended well. Again, 4 epis to go before I decide if there should be more of Stranger Things. FYI - IMDB has a trailer for S2.

Very cool that the Duffers are JHS grads, and they went to Duke School, too.

My family and I really enjoyed this series and I firmly wish the rest of TV would follow the very same formula, (well defined story arc with a set number of episodes).

It reminded me a lot of Fargo, which has a set number of episodes and the characters were quite similar. Everyday type of people, no glitz or glamour. At the start of Stranger Things I kept saying to myself, would someone please give Winona a comb.

Wonder Years meets the X-Files is a perfect description for this show and it was well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Has Goonies/ET feel to it that you will notice right away but it is definitely it's own show.You will feel like you are back in the 80's.
    Goonies and ET are right in my wheelhouse, so I watched Season 1 of Stranger Things this week. Unfortunately, it didn't resonate with me like it did with apparently everyone else. Not at all. But, maybe it's because I'm not interested in the genre? IDK.

As kind of an "X-files through kids' eyes" approach, two other things it reminded me of but haven't been mentioned yet:
    1. Eerie, Indiana - an early 90's Disney Channel show (I never saw it, but watching Stranger Things reminded me of the ads for whatever that's worth)
    2. Gravity Falls - a 2015-16 Disney Channel cartoon that I have seen and enjoyed. It includes voicework by Kristen Schaal, Linda Cardellini, JK Simmons, TJ Miller, Will Forte, Nick Offerman...