Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

RIP Dad (Dr. Galen Wagner)

My father, Dr. Galen Wagner, passed away yesterday after a years' long fight with a rare cancer. Diagnosed 7 years ago, he has since then still fought hard enough to make to every football and basketball game that he could, as well as continue to be passionate about his clinical research at Duke and his mentoring of medical students that arrived on campus.

Today the university flags were lowered in his honor on campus, which was a really touching tribute to the man that made me a Duke fan. He also helped shaped me to be the person and artist that I am today, always encouraging me to follow my own trail, one that has definitely been off the beaten path.

For those that knew him, or were touched by his literal lifetime at Duke, we are having a visitation this Saturday in Duke Gardens at the Doris Duke center from 11-1. Afterwards, we are going to have a private family ceremony where Dad's ashes will be buried in the gardens. He said he didn't want flowers at his funeral, but now he will be surrounded by them.

This is an announcement published by Dean Andrews.

http://today.duke.edu/2016/07/wagnerobit

MyDadSized.jpg

Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I am very sorry for your loss. May your Dad rest in his peace and may you and your family be consoled in his memory.

Condolences from here, as well. It's so hard to lose a parent...

-jk

Chris, You and your family are in our thoughts.

Edit: http://today.duke.edu/2016/07/wagnerobit
    Last edited by Bob Green; 07-14-2016 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Add link
    Bob Green

So sorry for your loss, Chris. My heartfelt best wishes to you and your family.

ricks

Very sorry to hear about this. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Prayers and vibes your way, Chris. Truly sorry for your loss.

Condolences on your loss. He sounds like a great man!
    http://www.tctmd.com/show.aspx?id=135924&fid=172

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeandMdFan View Post
    Condolences on your loss. He sounds like a great man!
    http://www.tctmd.com/show.aspx?id=135924&fid=172
    Thank you! I'm going to email this to my stepmom, she will truly appreciate the quotes in it.

Thanks to all that have commented here and messaged as well. Much love.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Condolences CB&B. I know you made your Dad proud!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Thanks for sharing your love for your Dad and the impact he's had on the Duke community. Very cool. I'm praying for you and your family.

Chris, I'm so sorry to hear. Thinking of you and your family.

So sorry to hear this, man. I'm sure he's enjoying his eternal reward.

Chris, Continued thoughts and prayers for you and your family. Dr Wagner made a great impact on the Duke Community. The article on Duke Today was a wonderful tribute to your father! So sorry for your loss.

Chris, I am sorry for your loss. Your Dad sounds like a wonderful man and a great inspiration for his family.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

RIP, Dr. Wagner

Sorry for your loss. Reading the tributes your father sounds like a man who used his energy and talents to love his family and friends and enrich his profession and community. We should all strive to follow that example. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

I've communicated my prayers/condolences/sympathy and comfort to Chris privately already but I thought of this as another nice tribute to Galen:

stock-photo-stethoscope-with-heart-on-light-background-250201618.jpg

I have something like this embroidered on my cath lab lead apron, so now, each time I don my work garb, I'll be happily and sadly reminded of Galen's passing and his influence on the prior generation of cardiologists and the current ones and likely for another generation to come. Also, having attended a number of football games with Chris and his Dad over the last decade, this football season, when Sirk connects (multiple times ) on a long, long TD pass, I can only imagine his Dad saying, "At least it wasn't another @#$%ing bubble screen."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Condolences to you and your family -- your dad sounds like an amazing person and father. I'll be thinking about you.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I've communicated my prayers/condolences/sympathy and comfort to Chris privately already but I thought of this as another nice tribute to Galen:

stock-photo-stethoscope-with-heart-on-light-background-250201618.jpg

I have something like this embroidered on my cath lab lead apron, so now, each time I don my work garb, I'll be happily and sadly reminded of Galen's passing and his influence on the prior generation of cardiologists and the current ones and likely for another generation to come. Also, having attended a number of football games with Chris and his Dad over the last decade, this football season, when Sirk connects (multiple times ) on a long, long TD pass, I can only imagine his Dad saying, "At least it wasn't another @#$%ing bubble screen."
    Maybe Dad can find a way to whisper in the ear of Roper Jr this season.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Very sorry for your loss Chris. Prayers for you and your family buddy!