Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Go

Pokemon Go

I'm enjoying it. I'm 32

It's had some bad moments (Dead body found and a group of robbers) but the positive stories of it bringing strangers together in the same town are unreal.

Any one else have stories or thoughts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ies-and-worse/

https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonGoStories/

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    I'm enjoying it. I'm 32

It's had some bad moments (Dead body found and a group of robbers) but the positive stories of it bringing strangers together in the same town are unreal.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...b0563e3f0.html

Yea thats in the other article as well. 1 incident out of millions of players seems a bit overblown no? They also got caught and no one got hurt and everyone got their stuff back. So, kind of a stupıid way to rob people...

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I'm enjoying it. I'm 32

It was great taking it out with my kids the other night.

I'm a little concerned that it's playable in a moving car. Not a problem if someone else is driving, but I suspect it's only a matter of (not much) time before we get a serious PG-related accident.

It's using GPS, maybe they could disable it for a few minutes if it notices the speed is above, say, 20mph.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    It was great taking it out with my kids the other night.

I'm a little concerned that it's playable in a moving car. Not a problem if someone else is driving, but I suspect it's only a matter of (not much) time before we get a serious PG-related accident.

It's using GPS, maybe they could disable it for a few minutes if it notices the speed is above, say, 20mph.
    I think they do disable it after 20mph... That's what I've been told at least haven't tried it.

How old are the kids Alteran? Mines 2... so too young, but would have loved to go out with him to try it had he been older.

I think they do disable it after 20mph... That's what I've been told at least haven't tried it.

How old are the kids Alteran? Mines 2... so too young, but would have loved to go out with him to try it had he been older.
    I was with my oldest two and they're 13 and 12. (My youngest is 10 and he couldn't be bothered with such trivia.) They are about the perfect ages for this.

Their chief complaint was that the Pokemon are limited to the first generation or so of Pokemon. Lame! ;-). But we were walking around geeking out, so it was all good, really.

I felt really weird when we were in front of a house (but on the sidewalk) when the owners showed up. Who wants people in their front yard waving a phone around like they're using the camera?

Wasn't sure if explaining would help.

It definitely works over 20mph, at least for captures.

I was visiting a brother over the weekend. His three kids still at home - 20, 18, 14 - are all into it. Apparently, there are a bunch of Pokemon things at the DBAP, and they're going to have an event there tomorrow (when the team is away) and let people on the field for a couple hours.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    ...DBAP, and they're going to have an event there... and let people on the field for a couple hours.
    Hey! Forget the Pokemon, def not in my wheelhouse, can I come down and run the basepath?! Maybe take a few swings and then try out the rosin bag?!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Hey! Forget the Pokemon, def not in my wheelhouse, can I come down and run the basepath?! Maybe take a few swings and then try out the rosin bag?!
    Heck, once you're in hold up a phone and record the base run, even. Everyone will think you're chasing a Pokemon and come after you!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Heck, once you're in hold up a phone and record the base run, even. Everyone will think you're chasing a Pokemon and come after you!

-jk
    I've heard it said that this game has done more in a few days to fight teenage obesity than Michelle Obama has accomplished in 8 years

I've discovered a few statues and murals around town I had no idea were there before, but they gave me poke balls. Super cool game.

I've probably put a little too much time into it...

They really need to fix their servers, quite a few issues with the game. Last night there was a Snorlax in my area, but I walked forever and wasn't able to find it

If you used your google account to play Pokemon Go, you've given Nintendo access to all your Google data.

Either use the Nintendo server, or create a separate google account for Pokemon Go. This "feature" seems limited to IOS (Apple).

I don't intend to play.
    I find the larger implications of augmented reality fascinating, and I wonder if this is the big inflection point for AR.

Nintendo stock went up 25% yesterday, capped by Tokyo SE daily limits.
    only time will tell if the Pokemon Go phenomenon is sustainable or a novelty.

In 25 years, the Congressional testimony will be, "No, sir, I did not Pokemon Go!"

There are eggs you get on the game that can only be hatched by walking a certain distance 2km to 5km from what I've seen so far. The counter for that is what gets turned off over 20mph so people don't cheat and actually have to exercise
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Ummm, apparently one of the locations where you can collect Pokemon is... wait for it... the Holocaust Museum!

It should not come as a huge surprise that the museum is a bit upset about people coming inside and chasing around virtual monsters.

According to the Washington Post, three places within the D.C. museum are PokéStops, or real-world locations where players can collect items to be used in the game.
    Andrew Hollinger, a spokesperson for the Holocaust Museum, told BuzzFeed News that playing the game “in a memorial dedicated to the victims of Nazism is extremely inappropriate.”
    One viral image shows Koffing — a poisonous-gas-type Pokémon — in the museum.
    Yeah, that's bad planning on the part of the programmers (actually, I'm guessing they have some kind of algorithm for picking PokeStops and that the Holocaust museum wasn't chosen by an individual).

-Jason "I can't wait to see how John Oliver and SNL handle Pokemon Go..." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

They need an easy way for people to opt sites out of the game.

One dude converted an old church into his house. It's now a gym.

He's cool with it (he plays, too), but others might not be so happy with folks hanging out in front of his house all hours...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ummm, apparently one of the locations where you can collect Pokemon is... wait for it... the Holocaust Museum!

It should not come as a huge surprise that the museum is a bit upset about people coming inside and chasing around virtual monsters.

Yeah, that's bad planning on the part of the programmers (actually, I'm guessing they have some kind of algorithm for picking PokeStops and that the Holocaust museum wasn't chosen by an individual).
    Niantic, the company that wrote Pokemon Go, also wrote an earlier "augmented reality" game called Ingress. It encouraged players to set up portals near areas of "cultural significance." (I'm not saying that's appropriate in all cases, mind you.)

Ingress was a much smaller game, but I'm still surprised this didn't come up before.

Niantic based the PG maps on the Ingress maps. In fact, apparently you can use Ingress-- which has a much more robust mapping system-- to find things in Pokemon Go.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I've discovered a few statues and murals around town I had no idea were there before, but they gave me poke balls. Super cool game.
    My inner 13-year-old just snickered out loud at this.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason "I can't wait to see how John Oliver and SNL handle Pokemon Go..." Evans
    It's not an issue though, or shouldn't be. You don't need to go in to those places. For example 3 near me are Post office, courthouse and library. I just drive/walk by and collect my goods
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking