Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bob Harris to retire

Oh, man. Very sorry to hear this news, but congratulations, Bob, on your retirement. Thank you for all you've done for Duke Athletics and for being the voice of the Blue Devils for four decades. Watching and listening to Duke games will never be the same.

Wow, Bob deserves a wonderful retirement but we'll miss him terribly. I'll never forget his loyalty to Duke and his passion (a word used far too facetiously and too often elsewhere) for Duke sports.

A terrific person and a very kind man!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I'm sorry to hear it - he is a legend and a class act. He will be greatly missed. Hopefully his final game will be the national championship game. Between Bob and Vin Scully, it is a big year for broadcaster retirements. I can't imagine anyone filling those shoes.

Following the 2016-2017 basketball season.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Wow, Bob deserves a wonderful retirement but we'll miss him terribly. I'll never forget his loyalty to Duke and his passion (a word used far too facetiously and too often elsewhere) for Duke sports.

A terrific person and a very kind man!
    His loyalty and passion were absolutely tremendous, in a way that will certainly be missed. I can remember many times actually becoming frustrated listening to his calls because that passion would occasionally interfere with his duties informing the listener as to what happened in a timely manner. I can't tell you how many times I was in the car and would hear him get really excited about the great diving effort a receiver made on third down only for him to say 10 seconds later that they were in punt formation because the pass was actually incomplete. Knowing that it came from a place of love and admiration for the athletes made it such an enjoyable experience overall.

Congratulations to Bob on such a wonderful career!

Bob's finest moment.

Nifong vs Harris - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1J6BqjThE
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Sad, but certainly well-deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Bob's finest moment.

Nifong vs Harris - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1J6BqjThE
    Concur ... Bob was excellent as a play-by-play man for almost 40 years, but I agree, this was his finest moment.

I hope the final game he calls is the first Monday in April 2017 and Duke wins.

Congrats to Bob on a great career. I'll certainly miss his voice during broadcasts. I strongly encourage any readers in this thread to check out the quotes at the end of the GoDuke article - there's some really terrific praise.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Following the 2016-2017 basketball season.
    Hope he goes out on a high note!

Happy for Bob - to get to have some peaceful time to enjoy Phyllis and the family.

Thanks Bob!

Bob was, and is, a class act. A tremendous human being.
    40+ years is phenomenal. And to think he only worked with 2 men's head basketball coaches in that time!

Thank You Bob

As many on this Board have said, listening to a Bob Harris broadcast is a pleasure, especially compared to the ESPN crews.

I've gotten to know many people in Stanly County who knew Bob as he was starting out and they all speak highly of him as a person and as a broadcaster.

Congratulations on a fabulous career and wish you well going forward.

"How sweet it is!"
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Bob

When I see this, I hear "Bobby Hurley up the floor with Laettner. They throw it the length of the floor: Laettner catches, comes down, dribbles, shoots, SCCOOOOOREEEESSS!"

I hope Duke does better with its replacement than UNCheat did. And while we are at it, maybe Bob's partner will also call it quits.

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    Win it for Bob!

Blue Devil Bob...the best since Ad Penfield
    Thanks Bob....wish you the best....thanks for the great years 😀😀