Page 55 of 73 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1459
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, it's not the High Seas but only La Manche. The Brits sent gunboats to the British Island of Jersey very close to the coast of La Belle France. Turns out, the fishing rules changed with Brexit -- but nobody knew -- and the French pecheurs were threatening to blockade the port of Jersey given the new restrictions.
    “everything’s legal in Jersey”

Gee, whodathunk glossing over the border details and kicking it all down the road in the name of political expediency would be a problem? I mean, besides the Remainers and the Irish and the Scottish . . . .

Of course, France also has to worry about its neighbors to the northeast:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56978344

Sneaky Belgians.

worth a bump to note that a lot of Brits are feeling good about Brexit vis a vis vaccine acquisition...the EU dithered while the UK procured...I have to acknowledge that in this particular instance, they did pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    worth a bump to note that a lot of Brits are feeling good about Brexit vis a vis vaccine acquisition...the EU dithered while the UK procured...I have to acknowledge that in this particular instance, they did pretty well.
    Boris should enjoy this while it lasts. Dominic Cummings (the main Brexit engineering) is going scorched Earth on Boris and the COVID response. If they weren’t so happy to go to the pubs the public would not be pleased. Plus the N Ireland issues, renewed Scottish Independence, import problems and shortages of 99 Flake .

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Boris should enjoy this while it lasts. Dominic Cummings (the main Brexit engineering) is going scorched Earth on Boris and the COVID response. If they weren’t so happy to go to the pubs the public would not be pleased. Plus the N Ireland issues, renewed Scottish Independence, import problems and shortages of 99 Flake .
    Dominic Cummings is a piece of work, isn't he? The press was zeroing in on him when I was in the UK just pre-pandemic...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Without Brexit, they would have been at the whims of the EU on purchases, right? Yeah, that's been huge. The UK has blown the EU out of the water in that regard. Contrast is stark. Who would have thunk that being smaller/more nimble as it relates to drug approval and vaccine deployment would have such an economic impact...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Without Brexit, they would have been at the whims of the EU on purchases, right? Yeah, that's been huge. The UK has blown the EU out of the water in that regard. Contrast is stark. Who would have thunk that being smaller/more nimble as it relates to drug approval and vaccine deployment would have such an economic impact...
    yeah, sometimes the committee approach just doesn't work...the EU dithered on finding a good solution everyone wanted, and the Brits (and U.S.) scarfled up lots of vaccine.
    Other aspects of Brexit may not work out so well for the UK, but the vaccine situation has been a winner.

Not really. They had the same power and authority pre Brexit. They could have also opted out the the EU vaccine scheme too. Like so many things the EU actually gives countries more levy way than politicians acknowledge.

Not really. They had the same power and authority pre Brexit. They could have also opted out the the EU vaccine scheme too. Like so many things the EU actually gives countries more levy way than politicians acknowledge.
    Thought that might be the case and maybe the UK would have, but my understanding is that none of the other 29 (?) EU member institutions opted out. Certainly, a Germany or somewhere like that could have easily done so...I think they want to convey they are a "united" front of countries. At the very least, there would have been much different pressures applied to the UK and their involvement on the vaccine front had they been a member of the EU during this time.

Thought that might be the case and maybe the UK would have, but my understanding is that none of the other 29 (?) EU member institutions opted out. Certainly, a Germany or somewhere like that could have easily done so...I think they want to convey they are a "united" front of countries. At the very least, there would have been much different pressures applied to the UK and their involvement on the vaccine front had they been a member of the EU during this time.
    I highly doubt it. The English think they are “special” and would have taken the same route. I say this as someone who was born in London. The danger would have been if the northern EU sided with them which would have been a possibility. Germany and France are now to welded to the EU to ever diverge but they also have control.

I highly doubt it. The English think they are “special” and would have taken the same route. I say this as someone who was born in London. The danger would have been if the northern EU sided with them which would have been a possibility. Germany and France are now to welded to the EU to ever diverge but they also have control.
    The EU began as an effort by leaders in France, Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg in the 1940's to bind those countries together so tightly in terms of their economies, that WW I and WW II would be unthinkable in the future. They succeeded -- those Western European countries aren't going anywhere.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The EU began as an effort by leaders in France, Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg in the 1940's to bind those countries together so tightly in terms of their economies, that WW I and WW II would be unthinkable in the future. They succeeded -- those Western European countries aren't going anywhere.
    I'm not so sure. The Eastern European countries could still blow the whole thing up with their strong-armed nationalism.

If Scotland breaks away from England and asks to join, will the EU let them? Or would they be too worried about precedent and Catalonia, et al?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I'm not so sure. The Eastern European countries could still blow the whole thing up with their strong-armed nationalism.

If Scotland breaks away from England and asks to join, will the EU let them? Or would they be too worried about precedent and Catalonia, et al?

-jk
    True but the original six countries are joined at the hip -- France, Germany, Benelux and Italy.

And I dunno about an independent Scotland. Spain would surely vote "no."
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

True but the original six countries are joined at the hip -- France, Germany, Benelux and Italy.

And I dunno about an independent Scotland. Spain would surely vote "no."
    What is Spain’s beef with Scotland?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Haggis isn't for everyone.

I'm guessing recognizing Scottish independence would give some legitimacy to Basque and Catalan independence.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post

I'm guessing recognizing Scottish independence would give some legitimacy to Basque and Catalan independence.
    Ahh, I can see that angle. Thanks.

Still, if Scotland left the UK it would be done by a sanctioned process. And Scotland has lots of oil $$$$. But it would present the same border problems Ireland/NI are struggling through right now — having a “borderless border” on a land mass partially in the EU and partially in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It sets an example for Catalonia becoming a separate country.
    Sage Grouse

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Smaller is not the reason, more nimble - perhaps, main reason - willingness to spend the money. I mean, look at Canada. They're small.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Smaller is not the reason, more nimble - perhaps, main reason - willingness to spend the money. I mean, look at Canada. They're small.
    Don't let any Canadians hear you say that.

The horror of Brexit reaches a new level:

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1...016986628?s=21