Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354
Results 1,061 to 1,079 of 1079

Thread: Brexit

  1. #1061
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Who knew that one of my very favorite meals (Dover sole) would be a prime sticking point in this mess?
    The fishing rights is the most ridiculous hill to die on. It's like 0.2% of UK GDP. It riled the mob to push Brexit but it's economically insignificance. It's 100% ego here.

  2. #1062
    I do not know how he keeps pulling rabbits out of his hat. Still a few hours to go but if they reach an agreement the Irish Peace is preserved and Nigel Farage will be unhappy. I'm good with that. I haven't seen the details but it seems the UK got more than they deserved. There are future issues to be addressed but Boris leads a charmed life.

    UK, EU on cusp of striking Brexit trade deal at last

  3. #1063
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Has it come down to the Brits baiting the hooks, and the EU guys have to take the fish off the lines? I have to say I'm pretty surprised (and pleased) they seem to be on the verge of an agreement.

  4. #1064
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Has it come down to the Brits baiting the hooks, and the EU guys have to take the fish off the lines? I have to say I'm pretty surprised (and pleased) they seem to be on the verge of an agreement.
    More like the EU taking the bait and replacing it with something smaller. It's an agreement but the UK service sector is going to take a hit. Also although the UK retains control of product standards I have the feeling they align with the EU. It will be like California and auto standards. Car companies design vehicles to stricter CA standards not the EPA so they aren't running two lines. It's not a home run for the UK which Boris will claim. It's a solid double.

  5. #1065
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    More like the EU taking the bait and replacing it with something smaller. It's an agreement but the UK service sector is going to take a hit. Also although the UK retains control of product standards I have the feeling they align with the EU. It will be like California and auto standards. Car companies design vehicles to stricter CA standards not the EPA so they aren't running two lines. It's not a home run for the UK which Boris will claim. It's a solid double.
    That's always a reasonable solution, make major compromises and concessions, but declare victory.

  6. #1066
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Brexit deal is done, per multiple UK news sources.

  7. #1067
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed

  8. #1068
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    That's always a reasonable solution, make major compromises and concessions, but declare victory.
    I can't say I've done a business survey, but the damage has already been inflicted by Britain on itself. I spoke with a Duke senior going to work in Europe for bank of America. In times past he would have automatically gone to work in London. Those weren't his choices -- London was being closed down and he had to choose between Dublin and Paris. Lessee... I don;t think it was a hard choice.

    Why Britain chose to surrender its position as the co-leader of the international banking community is an utter mystery. Apparently began with some hardly truthful articles Boris Johnson wrote as a reporter in Brussels on the meddlesome and inefficient goings-on in European Union HQ in Brussels. In fact, the total size of the EU staff was far smaller, so I understand, than many of the British ministries standing alone.

    Ah, well. I suppose we have enough to worry about over here not to fret about the Brits.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  9. #1069
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Why Britain chose to surrender its position as the co-leader of the international banking community is an utter mystery. Apparently began with some hardly truthful articles Boris Johnson wrote as a reporter in Brussels on the meddlesome and inefficient goings-on in European Union HQ in Brussels. In fact, the total size of the EU staff was far smaller, so I understand, than many of the British ministries standing alone.
    There have been segments looking to leave for decades going back to the ECC. Boris didnít start it and I firmly believe he really didnít want to leave. He just hitched his wagon to the populist segment to advance his career. Brexit was the ultimate example of a dog catching a car. The EU is far from perfect but it was better to be in that out.

    As for the City, shockingly, the mass exodus of financial jobs has not materialized. There has been a net gain. Apparently Londonís appeal is stronger than and place in the EU.

  10. #1070
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post

    As for the City, shockingly, the mass exodus of financial jobs has not materialized. There has been a net gain. Apparently Londonís appeal is stronger than and place in the EU.
    I think the reality of the situation is, now many businesses need a presence in both the UK and the EU.

  11. #1071
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    There have been segments looking to leave for decades going back to the ECC. Boris didnít start it and I firmly believe he really didnít want to leave. He just hitched his wagon to the populist segment to advance his career. Brexit was the ultimate example of a dog catching a car. The EU is far from perfect but it was better to be in that out.

    As for the City, shockingly, the mass exodus of financial jobs has not materialized. There has been a net gain. Apparently Londonís appeal is stronger than and place in the EU.
    And Boris is hardly the only world leader I can think of who "hitched his wagon to the populist segment to advance his career."
    Glad to hear the City is hanging in there...London is such a fabulous place. I wouldn't want to live there, but what a place to visit...

  12. #1072
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    And Boris is hardly the only world leader I can think of who "hitched his wagon to the populist segment to advance his career."
    Glad to hear the City is hanging in there...London is such a fabulous place. I wouldn't want to live there, but what a place to visit...
    We still enjoy visiting London, but these days only as a one-or-two-day stopover hub on our way to and from the destinations where we spend most of our holiday time. As I often lament to people we meet traveling around other parts of the UK, we found London to be more interesting and enjoyable when there were still some English people living there.

  13. #1073
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    We still enjoy visiting London, but these days only as a one-or-two-day stopover hub on our way to and from the destinations where we spend most of our holiday time. As I often lament to people we meet traveling around other parts of the UK, we found London to be more interesting and enjoyable when there were still some English people living there.
    I highly recommend changes through Manchester when next you must layover in the UK — fastest passport entry ever, and if you must stay the night the hotel attacked to the airport has a great executive lounge.

    Not sure how Brexit will impact all of that though. Gotta figure it doesn’t help anywhere and will try to transfer at Schiphol or CDG instead.

  14. #1074
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I highly recommend changes through Manchester when next you must layover in the UK ó fastest passport entry ever, and if you must stay the night the hotel attacked to the airport has a great executive lounge.

    Not sure how Brexit will impact all of that though. Gotta figure it doesnít help anywhere and will try to transfer at Schiphol or CDG instead.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but we always like to fly the direct overnight service on British Air from Orlando to Gatwick -- 7.5 hours, easy peasy -- then spend a day or two in London (recently scheduled to coincide with the RHS Chelsea Flower Show in May, which I recommend as an unexpectedly delightful way to spend an early summer day) before taking a flight from Heathrow or the Eurostar through the Chunnel to the primary destination on our itinerary. Then before returning to the States, we spend our last week driving around a previously unexplored area of the UK (next up is the Lake District, hopefully in June 2021) and end up back in London for another day or two.

    At this point, I'm remaining optimistic that our plans to resume the eagerly anticipated summer holiday journey in Europe from mid-May to mid-June can still be realized in 2021.

  15. #1075
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but we always like to fly the direct overnight service on British Air from Orlando to Gatwick -- 7.5 hours, easy peasy -- then spend a day or two in London (recently scheduled to coincide with the RHS Chelsea Flower Show in May, which I recommend as an unexpectedly delightful way to spend an early summer day) before taking a flight from Heathrow or the Eurostar through the Chunnel to the primary destination on our itinerary. Then before returning to the States, we spend our last week driving around a previously unexplored area of the UK (next up is the Lake District, hopefully in June 2021) and end up back in London for another day or two.

    At this point, I'm remaining optimistic that our plans to resume the eagerly anticipated summer holiday journey in Europe from mid-May to mid-June can still be realized in 2021.
    I hope you can make that trip this summer, and hope I can reschedule mine. Have never gone through Gatwick, always Heathrow in London.

    Really hoping for some traveling this summer, Iím jonesing for it in a big way.

  16. #1076
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I hope you can make that trip this summer, and hope I can reschedule mine. Have never gone through Gatwick, always Heathrow in London.

    Really hoping for some traveling this summer, Iím jonesing for it in a big way.
    Indeed -- good luck to everyone who's hoping for the big release and looking forward to shaking off the accumulated cabin dust by venturing out beyond the horizon in 2021.

  17. #1077
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Indeed -- good luck to everyone who's hoping for the big release and looking forward to shaking off the accumulated cabin dust by venturing out beyond the horizon in 2021.
    Postponed Costa Rica (with a grandson) and South Africa from 2020. Hope, hope, hope we can go this year. Not sure about our desired 2-3 weeks in France in the springtime. I suspect that's too soon.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  18. #1078
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Well, about that de-facto border in the Irish Sea that Boris and Company set up . . . .

    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rthern-ireland

    Not a good time to be in Belfast. Some conflicts you canít just paper over and ignore.

  19. #1079
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Well, about that de-facto border in the Irish Sea that Boris and Company set up . . . .

    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rthern-ireland

    Not a good time to be in Belfast. Some conflicts you canít just paper over and ignore.

    A lot of this mayhem is coming from people too young to remember how bad things were in the 70ís, 80ís and 90ís. Signs are literally on the walls. The graffiti in Belfast has become increasingly troubling.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •