Page 52 of 73 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1459
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Thankfully, Larry the Cat has not been sacked as Head Mouser at Number 10.

(And he is a good Twitter follow FWIW).
    Let the bickering begin. Greece will demand the return of the Elgin Marbles.. This will get ugly. Good thing the UK isn't divorcing from India. The Crown Jewels would be the first to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Let the bickering begin. Greece will demand the return of the Elgin Marbles.. This will get ugly. Good thing the UK isn't divorcing from India. The Crown Jewels would be the first to go.
    Yup. In many ways, the divorce decree was the easy part. Working out a trade agreement is much thornier.

I do not think that it is realistic for the UK to just go WTO rules, so they need an agreement. The UK needs the EU markets much more than the EU needs the UK markets or goods as best I can tell.

And of course, all of this is bad for Ireland.

So do these wonders a most dizzy pain,
    That mingles Grecian grandeur with the rude
    Wasting of old time—with a billowy main—
    A sun—a shadow of a magnitude.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

How timely, I just paid a visit to the Elgin Marbles a couple days ago...a truly staggering amount of stuff in the British Museum, loot pilfered from all over. Brits like to say the Greeks wouldn't take good enough care of them, ha...

How 'bout the Rosetta Stone, pilfered by the French from the Egyptians, then nabbed by the English after Lord Nellie gave Nappy what for?

We spent over four hours in the British Museum and there were still so many things we didn't see...clearly one of the very best museums in the world, if not THE best. Plus it's free! What a place...

Maybe post-to-ic, but the only U.K. thread going — Labour to vote tomorrow on Jeremy Corbyn’s successor after they got pasted a few months ago in the general. A new era begins.

Keir Starmer New Labour Party Leader

Maybe post-to-ic, but the only U.K. thread going — Labour to vote tomorrow on Jeremy Corbyn’s successor after they got pasted a few months ago in the general. A new era begins.

Keir Starmer is 57 and former crown prosecutor. Coronavirus response and working with Tories on it will be paramount.
    Here's the lede from CNN--
    London (CNN)The UK's main opposition Labour Party has elected Keir Starmer as its new leader, the party announced Saturday.
    Starmer, 57 will replace Jeremy Corbyn, who announced he would step down after a bitter defeat at the last election that saw sweeping gains for the ruling Conservatives.

The change in leadership comes as the country battles its own coronavirus crisis and amid calls to improve public services, such as the National Health Service currently under strain.
    Starmer is a former crown prosecutor who has promised to pursue policies aimed at improving social equality, including an increase to the top tax rate and a boost to social services, as well as take stronger action on climate change.

Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Corbyn really was in over his head...hopefully this guy proves to be more capable. Any of our British contributors have observations?

It’s a good move for Labour if they hope to regain voters. He’s respected, smart, and articulate. He will bring the party back toward the center where most of the country is at. He still will lend left. It’s actually as good move for the country as a whole. He more likely to work with Tories than Corbyn ever was. There is no Brexit fight so they can move to actual governing. It the first step to restoring British politics.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

The UK government 'actively avoided' investigating Russian interference in the 2016 Brexit referendum

A report was released about potential Russian interference in the Brexit vote in 2016. It took them four years to produce something that the US did in two months. And then the conclusion is: We didn't find evidence because we did not look for any. The Russians also interfered in the Scottish Independence Vote in 2014. Probably a trial run for Brexit, the US election of 2016 and maybe the US 2020 election.

What is wrong with politicians? I wonder if Shakespeare's Dick The Butcher wrong. They turned a blind eye to all that Russian money funneling through London for decades and now look where we are.

For this articlel from Aljazeera:
    The report cast Russia as a hostile power which posed a significant threat to the UK and the West across a range of fronts, from espionage and cyberattacks to election meddling and laundering dirty money.

"It appears that Russia considers the UK one of its top Western intelligence targets," the report said.

The report, which was leaked before its publication time by the Guido Fawkes website, said the British government failed to delve deeply enough into possible Russian meddling in the 2016 Brexit referendum.
    The UK should serve as a cautionary example to the US. A former world power now under pressure from all side on the international front: Russian interference, China walking away from the Hong Kong deal.

Just over 5 months until Brexit

A report was released about potential Russian interference in the Brexit vote in 2016. It took them four years to produce something that the US did in two months. And then the conclusion is: We didn't find evidence because we did not look for any.
    They most have hired UNC-CH to run their investigation.

here's one from left field on the cricket pitch: is there any chance the UK can/would leverage terms of Brexit by dangling Oxford's Covid vaccine (should it prove to be effective and available)?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    here's one from left field on the cricket pitch: is there any chance the UK can/would leverage terms of Brexit by dangling Oxford's Covid vaccine (should it prove to be effective and available)?
    Not directly, the Brits are too civilized for that.

I can imagine them saying, "Priority will go to countries with which we have trade agreements". *wink* *nod*

Things are . . . not going well within the UK it seems:

https://www.ft.com/content/9906e0d4-...0-130c75a2f7a7

Things are . . . not going well within the UK it seems:

https://www.ft.com/content/9906e0d4-...0-130c75a2f7a7

pay wall - Can you give the high lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    pay wall - Can you give the high lights?
    Maybe this works:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...drawal-pact-ft

Tl;dr: the problem of Northern Ireland’s land border with the Republic of Ireland — and The Troubles that grew out of a hard border there — may be back in play.

There simply is no good option. Either have the Irish Sea as a trade border with the EU which NI doesn’t want, or a hard border in the island of Ireland which no one wants. Everyone knew the technology to make it a seamless border did not exist yet, but — Brexit or bust.

Maybe this works:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...drawal-pact-ft

Tl;dr: the problem of Northern Ireland’s land border with the Republic of Ireland — and The Troubles that grew out of a hard border there — may be back in play.

There simply is no good option. Either have the Irish Sea as a trade border with the EU which NI doesn’t want, or a hard border in the island of Ireland which no one wants. Everyone knew the technology to make it a seamless border did not exist yet, but — Brexit or bust.

Thanks

Yeah - this was almost predictable.
    I don't see a solution - Do you have any thoughts on where things could go?

An obvious solution is Northern Ireland joining the Republic for an independent Ireland, but, shall we say, that would create issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    Thanks

Yeah - this was almost predictable.
    I don't see a solution - Do you have any thoughts on where things could go?

An obvious solution is Northern Ireland joining the Republic for an independent Ireland, but, shall we say, that would create issues.
    Dunno. The Good Friday Agreement ended decades, if not centuries, of violent struggle. Anything that upsets that balance is bad from my perspective.

I think my personal views would offend some here so I’ll keep ‘em to myself. Let’s just say — there is an uneasy peace that has been holding, don’t mess with it.

The BBC’s take.

Ministers are planning new legislation that would override a key section of last year's EU withdrawal agreement.

It would remove the legal force of customs arrangements due to come into effect in Northern Ireland next year that aim to prevent the return of a hard border with the Irish Republic...

An EU diplomat called it a "self-defeating strategy", saying the planned legislation could lead to the unravelling of trade talks.
    -jk

Boris is bluffing. He wants to look like the tough guy but I've seen this movie before. I will be shocked if he doesn't back down (like he did a year ago) and then declare himself a hero (again see 2019). Make no mistakes. Boris needs and wants a victory after all of his government's stumbles this year. The UK has been economical hit by Covid more than any other developed country. Even Tory Euroskeptics think he will make concessions (and betray them). The whispers are that he's still battling the effects of Covid and will eventually step down as PM. We wants to go out with a win. It's against my own interests, but if I were the EU, I would tell Boris to bugger off. Deals a deal and N Ireland has no trade boarder with Ireland. Instead the EU may replace their chief negotiator, Michel Barnier (because he's the problem and not the loonies across the Chanel.) There are only three points of contention: fishing rights, enforcement mechanisms and subsidies. His instance on being allowed the power to grant government subsidies is head scratching coming from the party of Margret Freaking Thatcher. These hard line Tories Brexiters worship at the alter of Thatcher and that goes against what she championed.

I've learned not to get worked up over Boris's rhetoric, only his actions. He's an opportunistic pragmatist. Having said that, the Irish Issue is still on my mind. I've mentioned before the dread I have of renewed violence over N. Ireland. It's not limited to that area. Central London, during the work day, becomes the prime target. That puts a large block of my family at risk. In the 80s and 90s, I worried about my uncles and aunts. Now I will have concerns for my younger cousins, nieces and nephews. I still think Boris reverts to form and they come to some agreement. Not October though. In November.