Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152
Results 1,021 to 1,028 of 1028

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Thankfully, Larry the Cat has not been sacked as Head Mouser at Number 10.

(And he is a good Twitter follow FWIW).
    Let the bickering begin. Greece will demand the return of the Elgin Marbles.. This will get ugly. Good thing the UK isn't divorcing from India. The Crown Jewels would be the first to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Let the bickering begin. Greece will demand the return of the Elgin Marbles.. This will get ugly. Good thing the UK isn't divorcing from India. The Crown Jewels would be the first to go.
    Yup. In many ways, the divorce decree was the easy part. Working out a trade agreement is much thornier.

I do not think that it is realistic for the UK to just go WTO rules, so they need an agreement. The UK needs the EU markets much more than the EU needs the UK markets or goods as best I can tell.

And of course, all of this is bad for Ireland.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

-- David Byrne

So do these wonders a most dizzy pain,
    That mingles Grecian grandeur with the rude
    Wasting of old time—with a billowy main—
    A sun—a shadow of a magnitude.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

How timely, I just paid a visit to the Elgin Marbles a couple days ago...a truly staggering amount of stuff in the British Museum, loot pilfered from all over. Brits like to say the Greeks wouldn't take good enough care of them, ha...

How 'bout the Rosetta Stone, pilfered by the French from the Egyptians, then nabbed by the English after Lord Nellie gave Nappy what for?

We spent over four hours in the British Museum and there were still so many things we didn't see...clearly one of the very best museums in the world, if not THE best. Plus it's free! What a place...

Maybe post-to-ic, but the only U.K. thread going — Labour to vote tomorrow on Jeremy Corbyn’s successor after they got pasted a few months ago in the general. A new era begins.
    "We're only tourists in this life
    Only tourists but the view is nice"

-- David Byrne

Keir Starmer New Labour Party Leader

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Maybe post-to-ic, but the only U.K. thread going — Labour to vote tomorrow on Jeremy Corbyn’s successor after they got pasted a few months ago in the general. A new era begins.

Keir Starmer is 57 and former crown prosecutor. Coronavirus response and working with Tories on it will be paramount.
    Here's the lede from CNN--
    London (CNN)The UK's main opposition Labour Party has elected Keir Starmer as its new leader, the party announced Saturday.
    Starmer, 57 will replace Jeremy Corbyn, who announced he would step down after a bitter defeat at the last election that saw sweeping gains for the ruling Conservatives.

The change in leadership comes as the country battles its own coronavirus crisis and amid calls to improve public services, such as the National Health Service currently under strain.
    Starmer is a former crown prosecutor who has promised to pursue policies aimed at improving social equality, including an increase to the top tax rate and a boost to social services, as well as take stronger action on climate change.

Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Corbyn really was in over his head...hopefully this guy proves to be more capable. Any of our British contributors have observations?

It’s a good move for Labour if they hope to regain voters. He’s respected, smart, and articulate. He will bring the party back toward the center where most of the country is at. He still will lend left. It’s actually as good move for the country as a whole. He more likely to work with Tories than Corbyn ever was. There is no Brexit fight so they can move to actual governing. It the first step to restoring British politics.