Page 46 of 73 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
    Lots of pessimism after Boris and Merkel’s phone call today. EU wants NI in the customs union to honor the Good Friday agreement until technology allows for a border without physical check points; Boris and DUP demand that NI leave the customs union with some sort of alternative which everyone but them thinks is unfeasible.

Negotiations are often darkest before the impasse is bridged. But here, the impasse has been staring the parties in the face since 2016 without any real agreeable options. As a result, Boris may effectively force a breach of the Good Friday agreement through no-deal Brexit if he can find a way around the Benn Act.

Donald Tusk (EU Pres.) tweet:

".@BorisJohnson, what's at stake is not winning some stupid blame game. At stake is the future of Europe and the UK as well as the security and interests of our people. You don't want a deal, you don't want an extension, you don't want to revoke, quo vadis?"

You know the $#!+ is getting real when they bust out the Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Donald Tusk (EU Pres.) tweet:

".@BorisJohnson, what's at stake is not winning some stupid blame game. At stake is the future of Europe and the UK as well as the security and interests of our people. You don't want a deal, you don't want an extension, you don't want to revoke, quo vadis?"

You know the $#!+ is getting real when they bust out the Latin.
    ita vero

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    ita vero
    Omnia Gallia est tres partes

That's all the Latin I remember.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Omnia Gallia est tres partes
    The same is true of Tennessee.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Per tweet from political editor from The Sun (FWIW):

"After 45 minutes with Boris in No10, European Parliament President David Sassoli says there are only two options left for Brexit, 'an extension or No Deal.'"

So, I guess we are getting close to knut cutting time.

Once again let me pat Europe on the back for continually agreeing to these extensions. It's nice that there are a few adults involved.

So, I guess we are getting close to knut cutting time.
    Not quite sure what you're trying to say. Is the "k" silent?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Not quite sure what you're trying to say. Is the "k" silent?
    It's the silent K's that get 'ya.

Did someone say Knut?

maxresdefault.jpg

New Rebellion Coming?

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-b...-idUSKBN1WO046

Apparently reality is setting in for some on the front and back benches. Remember these Cabinet minister are Boris loyalists so resigning over his insistence of No Deal is a big deal. Good to see that some are FINALLY pushing back against Dominic Cummings. The moderate Tory MP's opposition is not too surprising though. They do want to go into a general election on an explicit No Deal platform.

EU Concessions vs the Illogical

The EU is ready to make a major concession on the Irish backstop today but are almost immediately rejected by the DUP and hard Brexit Tories. The EU would have let the Irish Assembly decide when to leave the customs union. Let's forget that the Assembly has not connived in two years. This is actually a logical, rational idea. Importantly, it gives everybody time. It allows for the backstop to ended when N. Ireland feels it's ready / safe and some arbitrary date nor a date controlled by Westminster. The concession works out the only real hurdle in May's deal...and is shot down by the DUP. I wonder if Boris will throw the DUP under the bus and agree to it. I believe that's what the DUP is worried about.

Parliament will vote today to have a special sitting on Saturday Oct 19 after Boris's EU summit. They have only done that 4 times in the last ninety years and three were for wars.

If you are a fan of pomp and pageantry today was your day. Nothing like a Queen’s Speech which, even by British standards, is a spectacle.

Queen Elizabeth is not happy with Boris.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/quee...bottom-2019-10

Without a ruling majority the Government’s agenda is nothing more than campaign promises at this point. The news on negotiations has been all over the place. One minute a breakthrough is imminent and the next they are oceans apart. Only a few days until the EU summit. Tick, Tick, Tick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    l

Queen Elizabeth is not happy with Boris.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/quee...bottom-2019-10
    “We are not amused”

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    "Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres"

That's all the Latin I remember.
    Fixed to prevent my elderly mother, long-retired Latin professor, from posting on this thread.

Of the Gallic tribes, the Belgians were the fiercest. I guess some things don't change over 2,000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Fixed to prevent my elderly mother, long-retired Latin professor, from posting on this thread.

Of the Gallic tribes, the Belgians were the fiercest. I guess some things don't change over 2,000 years.
    The Aquitanians weren't very good fighters but they had a knack for making wine along the Garonne River (Flumen Garonia?).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The Aquitanians weren't very good fighters but they had a knack for making wine along the Garonne River (Flumen Garonia?).
    Dan Carlin has a podcast which is available for free, Hardcore History’s “The Celtic Holocaust,” about young Julius Caesar’s campaign throughout Gaul while still making a name for himself. Extremely interesting if you’re into that sort of stuff. (warning, it’s 6 hours long But really worth it IMO).

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/ha...tic-holocaust/

Nothing like a deadline to sharpen the mind. Sounds like progress is being made. Whether it is enough, or just trying to set the fall on the opponent, should be evident in the next few days . . . .

Nothing like a deadline to sharpen the mind. Sounds like progress is being made. Whether it is enough, or just trying to set the fall on the opponent, should be evident in the next few days . . . .
    Sounds like the discussion is that the line of demarcation between the EU and the UK will be the Irish Sea. I.e., Northern Ireland will have no boundary issues with Eire. There will be other arrangements to ensure Northern Ireland still is part of the UK.

I wonder whether this will get a majority vote in Parliament -- especially since the DUP from Northern Ireland holds ten seats.

If it happens, it saves me from asking dumb questions from prior discussions about the "Customs Union," the remaining in the EU for agricultural products, etc. Of course, there will be other questions to ask, dumb or not so dumb.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The gist of this compromise they are working on is Northern Ireland will legally be in the UK (de jure) but practically in the EU (de facto). What does that mean? How is that possible? It would maintain the Good Friday Agreement so that's a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    The gist of this compromise they are working on is Northern Ireland will legally be in the UK (de jure) but practically in the EU (de facto). What does that mean? How is that possible? It would maintain the Good Friday Agreement so that's a plus.
    I think it is exactly what the DUP rejected before — treating NI more like an EU extension of the Republic of Ireland than as part of the U.K.

Erin go Bragh. Works for me. (although I prefer a second referendum and a rejection of Brexit if I had my first choice).