Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: Brexit

Next thing you know, they'll bring in some consultants from Italy to tell them how to keep a government together...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Next thing you know, they'll bring in some consultants from Italy to tell them how to keep a government together...
    Although a sizable minority of Greeks and Italians favor departure from the EU (around 35 percent, I have read), the total disarray of Brexit at one of the world's leading and most admired democracies has tended to scotch -- ha-ha! -- "leave" sentiment at other countries, such as Sweden, the Netherlands and Spain.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

And now itís messing with video games too!

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/tech...outputType=amp

Remainer should have campaigned that Brexit would mess up the EPL. They would have won in a landslide.

After a chaotic day yesterday, Parliament is off for five weeks. There will be a lot of plotting, campaigning and bargaining from all sides. Let the horse trading begin! Libs and rebel Tories are talking. Tories and Brexit Party are eying one another. Love Farageís opening demand for Boris to stand down 90 seats in any upcoming election for his support. Itís a trap Boris.

Seeing some unconventional proposals from Government Ministers to get Boris around the new law including:
    1) After the PM asks for an extension, immediately send another letter saying: Just kidding. Didnít really mean that.
    2) Asking a EU member to veto the extension. Honestly, only
    France would consider doing it. Thereís rich irony in that.
    3) Call a No Confidence on himself
    4) Resign

Highest court in Scotland ruled today that the proroguing of Parliament was illegal. On to the UK Supreme Court.
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    How many of you think this is going to end well? BoJo now thinks he's The Hulk.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...EC6?li=BBnb7Kz

I guess the question is: Hulk from Infinity War...or Hulk from Endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    How many of you think this is going to end well? BoJo now thinks he's The Hulk.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...EC6?li=BBnb7Kz

I guess the question is: Hulk from Infinity War...or Hulk from Endgame.
    Well I've always thought he was a cartoon character so not much of a stretch. But, honestly, it's an insult to the Hulk/Dr. Banner.

In other Brexit news:

1) Former PM David Cameron finally breaks his silence on Brexit to sell his memoir. He claims that Boris is an opportunistic, lying fraud. (My words, his sentiment.) Really?! The world didn't know that already? We have to read your book to find that out David? He does not apologize for the referendum calling it "inevitable." Also Michael Gove is a wanker too. (My words again, not the board auto censor.)

2) Former PM Tony Blair believes that all Brits are sick of Brexit. Really Tony?! Let me tell you, it's not just the Brits buddy. He also lends support for a Second Referendum. Boris has now had blowback from every living British Prime Minister. I do not think I've seen that in any country's history...EVER.

3) First up during Conference season, the Lib Dem's explicitly call for revoking Article 50 if they win a general election. The chances of that are slim even with the few rebel Tories they are slowly picking up. By being the first and only to call for Brexit cancelation, they officially become the Anti-Brexit party. It's a big unambiguously move to go from Second Referendum to Revoke. They might pick up support from Remainer Tory voters who could never vote Labour and Remainer Labour voters who don't know where their party stands. It will but pressure on Labour to crystalize their position.

4) Steve Barclay, the Brexit Secretary, floats the idea off extending the transition period from Dec 2020 to Dec 2022 as the Government softens it's stance. It will give them time to devise the magical monitors for the Irish border. Who are they kidding? Even in a Deal scenario that date would have needed to be changed anyway. And unless Hogwarts is real and can be called on, technology isn't going to solve the Irish backstop for years.

5) The dance continues as Boris and EU President Juncker meet tomorrow. Boris is expected to tell Juncker, the UK will leave on Oct 31 deal or no deal...even though it's against the law...and they might throw me in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Boris is expected to tell Juncker, the UK will leave on Oct 31 deal or no deal...even though it's against the law...and they might throw me in prison.
    For several days now Boris has been saying that he will figure out a way to leave on the 31st if they cannot cut a deal, even if it is against the law. He says he is going to figure out a way to do it.

I think a lot of this is posturing. His whole plan seems to be that the EU will balk at a no-deal Brexit so it will cut a better deal that Boris can sell. I think that rationale is incorrect as Europe is tired of the dance and really does not care if Britain leaves.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

^^^ Agreed.

Boris met with EU President Juncker today in Luxembourg. Boris said he can see the contours of a deal coming together; Juncker and the Luxembourg PM both said that Boris still hasn't put forward a concrete, operational proposal. Juncker said "We need more than just words, we need a legally operable text to work on as soon as possible." EU later stated that "such proposals have not been made." Lexumbourg PM said Boris needs to "stop speaking and act."

Boris is the dog that caught the car, but doesn't know what to do next. He still insists he can legally hard-crash out of the EU on October 31, but that only he and three other advisers know what that course of action would be.

EU members meet October 17-18, which is the last regularly-scheduled opportunity (AFAIK) for Boris to present his proposal and get it voted upon by the member states. Only 45 days to 10/31. (Or there, 31/10)
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ^^^ Agreed.

Boris met with EU President Juncker today in Luxembourg. Boris said he can see the contours of a deal coming together; Juncker and the Luxembourg PM both said that Boris still hasn't put forward a concrete, operational proposal. Juncker said "We need more than just words, we need a legally operable text to work on as soon as possible." EU later stated that "such proposals have not been made." Lexumbourg PM said Boris needs to "stop speaking and act."
    Later in the day, Boris skipped an outdoor press conference with Xavier Bettel, the Luxembourg PM, to avoid (mostly British expat) protesters. Bettel took the opportunity to rake him over the coals and left the empty UK podium on the stage for good measure. Thatís just a cowardly move Boris. Although most countries try not to embarrass allies, I donít hold it against Bettel for not moving the press conference inside.

Now we will get near daily negotiations where the UK will continue to NOT put forward any actually plans for the Irish border.