Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 780 of 945

Thread: Brexit

  1. #761
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    They also want unicorns at the Irish border apparently, because they are pushing for something that is not technologically feasible until 2030 or so per an internal Tory study.
    Obviously then, the answer is to delay Brexit until 2030.

  2. #762
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    The sheep are starting to revolt.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...IMr?li=BBnb7Kz

    That should have the Tories shaking in their boots. (I know, baaad joke)

  3. #763
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, what will happen?

    1. Parliament won't let No Deal happen
    2. A new deal seems impossible
    3. EU won't approve another extension




    I feel like the UK needs another people's vote: Stay, leave with no deal, leave with the current approved deal (that parliament has rejected)

    -Jason "what is the record for shortest term as PM, cause I feel like Boris may not last much beyond the end of October" Evans
    Boris' job just got a bit harder:

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/02/uk/bo...ntl/index.html
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  4. #764
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    The thing is, Wales is a region of the UK that voted to leave. Now they elect a pro-Europe MP.

    Clearly the electorate has changed their mind about Brexit, now that they actually understand what it means and see that they were lied to. Maybe the Queen needs to get off her arse and call for a new vote. They might actually listen to her.

  5. #765
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    The thing is, Wales is a region of the UK that voted to leave. Now they elect a pro-Europe MP.

    Clearly the electorate has changed their mind about Brexit, now that they actually understand what it means and see that they were lied to. Maybe the Queen needs to get off her arse and call for a new vote. They might actually listen to her.
    Maybe, maybe not. Although itís a return to the normal for Brecon and Radnorshire it was close...too close. The Libs held that seat for almost 20 years before it flip to the Tories. It took an alliance of Pro Remain parties, who agreed not to field other candidates, for the Libs to win. If the Farage's Brexit party didnít take 10% of the vote, the Tories might have held the seat. Farage is becoming more than a thorn for the Conservatives to the point where he will be stealing votes if a general election is called.

  6. #766
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Farage is becoming more than a thorn for the Conservatives to the point where he will be stealing votes if a general election is called.
    ... and Farage is also pushing the Tories towards a rigid Brexit position because they are scared of losing votes to his new party.
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  7. #767
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ... and Farage is also pushing the Tories towards a rigid Brexit position because they are scared of losing votes to his new party.
    Heís also basically killed UKIP, his former party. The Official Monster Raving Loony Party took more votes in this election and they are literally a joke party.

  8. #768
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Latest election results:

    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  9. #769
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    CNN on the possibility of Boris being the last PM of the United Kingdom:

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/03/uk/bo...gbr/index.html
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  10. #770
    Members of the US Congress warn any threats to the Good Friday Accords will hinder a trade deal with American. I didn't know the Friends of Ireland caucus was so big.

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...liticians-warn

  11. #771
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Members of the US Congress warn any threats to the Good Friday Accords will hinder a trade deal with American. I didn't know the Friends of Ireland caucus was so big.

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...liticians-warn
    I learned a new word: Taoiseach.

    And that it's pronounced TEE-shock. Those crazy Irish!

  12. #772
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I learned a new word: Taoiseach.

    And that it's pronounced TEE-shock. Those crazy Irish!
    Under Irish law, all public signs must be in Gaelic and then English. Really odd to see something like:

    9EBA4FB1-31BB-4185-947F-93FA97294519.jpg

    DE5BC04F-1362-48E6-9B37-60C4F0F965ED.jpg
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  13. #773
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Under Irish law, all public signs must be in Gaelic and then English. Really odd to see something like:

    9EBA4FB1-31BB-4185-947F-93FA97294519.jpg

    DE5BC04F-1362-48E6-9B37-60C4F0F965ED.jpg
    They could at least write it in Cyrillic or something to warn us.

  14. #774
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    As or if Britain leaves the EU, whose official language is English, there will be zero, zip, nada countries in the EU with English as the official language. For Ireland, it is Gaelic.

  15. #775
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    a few tidbits today from BBC:

    1. EU confirmed that it was not reopening negotiations over the backstop today, and yesterday said that there was no basis for "meaningful discussions" because things were basically where they were three years ago. Cabinet Member Michael Gove (who is responsible for planning a no-deal Brexit) was "deeply saddened" that the EU said "no, we don't want to talk."

    2. EU "was grappling with how to deal with a prime minister in Boris Johnson who was demanding things they were not prepared to give," and are floating that the G7 summit in France at the end of this month may be the last off-ramp. We've heard similar before but who knows.

    3. Parliament is out until September. Who knows what happens when they come back -- preclude a no-deal; force a general election; Boris proroguing Parliament. Here we go again.
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  16. #776
    This is just rich. Boris hopes the EU will show "common sense" and that there's "bags of time" for a new deal. To steal from Mark Twain: "Denial ain't just a river in Egypt." At a certain point I'm going to start to wonder if I'm the crazy one.

    https://news.yahoo.com/u-k-johnson-s...171901895.html

  17. #777
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    This is just rich. Boris hopes the EU will show "common sense" and that there's "bags of time" for a new deal. To steal from Mark Twain: "Denial ain't just a river in Egypt." At a certain point I'm going to start to wonder if I'm the crazy one.

    https://news.yahoo.com/u-k-johnson-s...171901895.html
    UK (2016): “We’re leaving the EU. We want the same favorable deal we had before though.”
    EU: “we wish you wouldn’t go, but if you do you lose your deal.”

    UK (2017): “Did you hear that we’re leaving? You better give us the good deal or else.”
    EU: “Um, we heard you and that doesn’t make any sense. You can stay if you want but you lose your good deal if you leave.”

    UK (2018): “We’re serious, we will leave if you don’t give us everything we want.”
    EU: “We are aware. But you had a great deal and you don’t get a better deal by leaving. We are ok with you staying but whatever.”

    UK (early 2019): “We mean it, we will leave if you don’t capitulate.”
    EU: “Got it. We’re good.”

    UK (now): “Okay, new idea. Give us exactly what we want or we will leave.”
    EU: “{sigh}”
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  18. #778
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    British economy contracted last quarter...just wait until they have to deal with real Brexit vs. just the specter of it...if the pound drops sufficiently, maybe we can spend the night at the Connaught for a hundred bucks...

  19. #779
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    British economy contracted last quarter...just wait until they have to deal with real Brexit vs. just the specter of it...if the pound drops sufficiently, maybe we can spend the night at the Connaught for a hundred bucks...
    I hate to say this...no, I hate to think it at all, but I've moved from my worried-about-remainers-and-low-income-Britons phase to my Utter Schadenfreude phase. I'm eager to see how thoroughly this inane nativist fit of pique runs their economy into the ground. Let's get this grotesque party started.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Whoís gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  20. #780
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I hate to say this...no, I hate to think it at all, but I've moved from my worried-about-remainers-and-low-income-Britons phase to my Utter Schadenfreude phase. I'm eager to see how thoroughly this inane nativist fit of pique runs their economy into the ground. Let's get this grotesque party started.
    As a proud Irish American, I join you in chortling at how the hubris of The Empire is leading to its own diminishment.

    But then when I think about how this is really gonna screw Ireland and perhaps threaten the peace there, I lose some of my zeal.

    Ying, yang I guess. Erin go Bragh.
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •