Page 37 of 73 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    For those who like to read, and would perhaps like some insight into the thought process that has led a lot of Europeans into Brexit type thoughts, may I heartily recommend Capital: A Novel, by Robert Menasse...he's Austrian, and it's translated from the German...marvelous satirical view of the EU...as much as I detest the notion of Brexit, I very much see how lampoonable and objectionable the EU can be at times...I'm finding it very timely.

By the way, the book's title is identical to that of another fabulous book by John Lanchester, a Brit...his Capital is highly entertaining, a great look at the excesses of capitalism, written in 2007 or so (what could go wrong)?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    For those who like to read, and would perhaps like some insight into the thought process that has led a lot of Europeans into Brexit type thoughts, may I heartily recommend Capital: A Novel, by Robert Menasse...he's Austrian, and it's translated from the German...marvelous satirical view of the EU...as much as I detest the notion of Brexit, I very much see how lampoonable and objectionable the EU can be at times...I'm finding it very timely.

By the way, the book's title is identical to that of another fabulous book by John Lanchester, a Brit...his Capital is highly entertaining, a great look at the excesses of capitalism, written in 2007 or so (what could go wrong)?
    Not to mention Thomas Piketty, who writes convincingly (to some) on income distribution in the 20th and 21st centuries. Then there's that oldest Marx brother, whose first name I keep forgetting and who forecast bad things for the working classes.

A pretty Grimm lot I would say, and certainly not entirely fairy tales.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Per poll, Johnson whipping Hunt among Tories with 74% support:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...o-10-k8j3w3j03

Not that Boris is going to start WWIII, but it appears a significant portion of the British (and other voters in certain democracies elsewhere) just want chaos. Some might call it entertainment. The European continent is enjoying its longest period of peace in its history, due in no small part to the economic ties forged after WWII. I guess that's just too boring.

I'm currently watching The World At War, the great 26-hour documentary produced by the BBC in the early 70s. Highly recommended. People have forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Not that Boris is going to start WWIII, but it appears a significant portion of the British (and other voters in certain democracies elsewhere) just want chaos. Some might call it entertainment. The European continent is enjoying its longest period of peace in its history, due in no small part to the economic ties forged after WWII. I guess that's just too boring.

I'm currently watching The World At War, the great 26-hour documentary produced by the BBC in the early 70s. Highly recommended. People have forgotten.
    The British have long had some level of disdain for things European, not to word things too strongly...I fear much of the Brexit movement thrives on that sentiment. More of a gut sentiment perhaps than a logical one.

Hades has frozen over! Jeremy Corbyn And Labour will now back Remain and a second referendum...as long as the Tories remain in power. At least it’s a stand. It must have been a big pill for Corbyn to swallow. He must be getting a ton of pressure from the unions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48919695
    Last edited by Kdogg; 07-09-2019 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Forgot the link

Labour to Back Remain

Brexit: Labour to back Remain as it calls for a new EU referendum

New headline that may change the direction of Brexit. Corbyn will back "Remain" for now and also call for a new referendum on any deal.

Here's the BBC story.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Brexit: Labour to back Remain as it calls for a new EU referendum

New headline that may change the direction of Brexit. Corbyn will back "Remain" for now and also call for a new referendum on any deal.

Here's the BBC story.
    The problem is, as with everything Labour / Brexit related, there’s a but. If snap election are called it’s back to the wishy washy Labour position. Now for people who want a Second Referendum they need confidence in the new PM to hold.

Corbyn boldly taking a stand well after the horses have already left the barn.

Crack BBC political “reporter” Jonathan Pie’s latest on the Pm race:

(LANGUAGE Warning

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Crack BBC political “reporter” Jonathan Pie’s latest on the Pm race:

(LANGUAGE Warning
    Makes me think of this:

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Makes me think of this:

Great minds think alike.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...52#post1165952

Latest update in the Brexit mess:

It will not change the possibility of a No Deal Brexit but Parliament passed a measure ensuring the next PM can’t suspend the body. The MPs used a back door maneuver involving the non existent N Ireland government to make sure it will be in session from October to December. The big take away is that 17 Tories defied their Whip and voted for the measure. Four ministers abstained for good measure. Little chance any would have been retained so why suck up to Boris? The Tories already have a minority government so the new PM’s power to govern seems to be tenuous.

Another interesting note: It seems this absolute comedy of errors has caused a change on the Continent. The sentiment to remain in the EU has a strengthened... among the nationalists parties. There has been a shift from leaving the EU to remain and reforming which the British should have been doing from the beginning. Apparently the thinking is if the Brits can’t do it how could any one else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Latest update in the Brexit mess:

Another interesting note: It seems this absolute comedy of errors has caused a change on the Continent. The sentiment to remain in the EU has a strengthened... among the nationalists parties. There has been a shift from leaving the EU to remain and reforming which the British should have been doing from the beginning. Apparently the thinking is if the Brits can’t do it how could any one else.
    Basically you are saying that Britain has made a dog's breakfast of Brexit, scaring away those thinking of the same move for their countries.
    Sage Grouse

Boris, at the final Tory debate, says the only way to get a new, better deal from the EU is to prepare for a no deal Brexit like it might actually happen. Then, he assured the people of England that if there is a no deal Brexit they will still be able to eat Mars bars.

Yes, I am serious...

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Basically you are saying that Britain has made a dog's breakfast of Brexit, scaring away those thinking of the same move for their countries.
    Yes! Yes I am. First real positive I’ve seen out of this circus.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/19/u...gbr/index.html

OK, getting serious via the (who ever heard of it?) "the humble address." I know the Queen has horse treats in her purse, who knows what else?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I know the Queen has horse treats in her purse, who knows what else?
    The nuclear launch code, and some really stale mints I'm guessing.

Maybe the keys to the Falkland Islands too, she seems to have misplaced those some time ago and has looked absolutely everywhere.

Breaking news: after another vote, the people of the UK have decided to leave the EU... and the join the JEU, which is an economic and trade union with Jason Evans.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson. Hold on tight, kids, this may be bumpy.