Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    You dare to dismiss Fiat!?!

Fix it again, Tony.
    Unfortunately, Fiat owns Ferrari now.

My last car in Rome:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Unfortunately, Fiat owns Ferrari now.
    Ferrari was spun off several years ago. Fiat IPOed 10% and distributed their remaining stake to shareholders a year or two later. They are an independent now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Ferrari was spun off several years ago. Fiat IPOed 10% and distributed their remaining stake to shareholders a year or two later. They are an independent now.
    Thanks. Just proves that I don't keep up with either automotive or Italian issues. 😎

Whaddaya think the chances are of another referendum? I suspect 60-40 against. But maybe we should do this with all votes. Call it the "Oh crap, what have we done" do-over.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/t...london-n922381

Whaddaya think the chances are of another referendum? I suspect 60-40 against. But maybe we should do this with all votes. Call it the "Oh crap, what have we done" do-over.
    I don't trust people to get it right twice in a row.

I should just say, "I don't trust people".

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/t...london-n922381
    Apparently not very likely.

In a rational world, after May takes the deal she’s given or walks away, the people should decide. The full ramifications will finally be known and they can decide having all the facts. We do not live in a rational world.

Draft deal apparently reached:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/uk/br...ntl/index.html

Unclear whether it will get adequate support. Start your popcorn makers.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Draft deal apparently reached:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/uk/br...ntl/index.html

Unclear whether it will get adequate support. Start your popcorn makers.
    The pro-Brexit forces are fuming and it looks like there will be a no confidence motion in May tomorrow in Parliament. It would have taken a truly brilliant politician who was also an amazing negotiator to make this work... May is neither of those.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The pro-Brexit forces are fuming and it looks like there will be a no confidence motion in May tomorrow in Parliament. It would have taken a truly brilliant politician who was also an amazing negotiator to make this work... May is neither of those.
    Yeah, I think May was the sacrificial Tory and has been since the surprise pro-Brexit result.

It will be interesting to see if any cabinet members resign today or tomorrow (I guess it's already 8pm in London right now). I imagine that Labor will oppose the plan, and the Northern Irish that are part of the governing coalition indicated opposition to the press' prior reporting of what the deal supposedly contains. Add in an unhappy back-bench of hardline Tory Brexiteers, and the whole thing may collapse.

And if it does, what is more likely -- a "no deal" exit, or a revote? Both are very unpalatable for the Conservatives, but only one of them is potentially economically ruinous.

Her Cabinet apparently approved of the plan after a five-hour discussion. Still a long way from done, but that is a major hurdle crossed.

Her Cabinet apparently approved of the plan after a five-hour discussion. Still a long way from done, but that is a major hurdle crossed.
    So, is Parliament more raucous now, or when Poldark was in it? I have to say, I really like the hissing and heckling.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    So, is Parliament more raucous now, or when Poldark was in it? I have to say, I really like the hissing and heckling.
    I am a huge fan of Prime Minister's Questions, been watching them since CSPAN started showing them with Margaret Thatcher. I wish we did this -- the head executive officer has to come before the common house every week when they are in session and answer questions from members for about 40 minutes. This is the link to today's which I trust is entertaining in a geek-like sense. I have been jacked all day to watch it tonight after the Duke game:

https://www.parliament.uk/business/n...november-2018/

(I believe that this occurred before May held her five-hour cabinet retreat at Number 10. My understanding is that she took a grilling from some of her own back-benchers who are Brexiteers).

I am a huge fan of Prime Minister's Questions, been watching them since CSPAN started showing them with Margaret Thatcher. I wish we did this -- the head executive officer has to come before the common house every week when they are in session and answer questions from members for about 40 minutes. This is the link to today's which I trust is entertaining in a geek-like sense. I have been jacked all day to watch it tonight after the Duke game:

https://www.parliament.uk/business/n...november-2018/

(I believe that this occurred before May held her five-hour cabinet retreat at Number 10. My understanding is that she took a grilling from some of her own back-benchers who are Brexiteers).
    Given the current state of things in America, I would be willing to bet a whole lot of tasty pies that it never happens here. But I agree that I would love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Given the current state of things in America, I would be willing to bet a whole lot of tasty pies that it never happens here. But I agree that I would love to see it.
    Agreed.

And sometimes, the hardest shots come from back-benchers of one's own party.

It really is entertaining if you're into that sort of thing.

Thatcher and Blair were both brilliant at it. Cameron was pretty good.

Hague (in opposition) and Major not so much. Brown was just -- not.

May does okay, but mainly because Jeremy Corbyn (in opposition) is not very good on the attack.

The current Speaker is hilarious, as was his immediate predecessor.

We will see in the coming days if Graham Brady's been stockpiling no confidence letters. Agree the MP's read this thing, I sure he will collect a few more. The agreement is 585 pages so it may take a day or two to sort through it. Skimming through the reporting, I'm not sure if anyone in the UK will be happy. Northern Ireland potentially stays aligned to the EU forever (essentially). The UK doesn't control regulation and has to keep EU rules (without voting on them). The fisheries get taxed by the EU. And the London financial center keeps only basic access to the EU. Right now I can't see anything the UK gains. The only thing achieves is preventing mass chaos from a no deal scenario. God save the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    We will see in the coming days if Graham Brady's been stockpiling no confidence letters. Agree the MP's read this thing, I sure he will collect a few more. The agreement is 585 pages so it may take a day or two to sort through it. Skimming through the reporting, I'm not sure if anyone in the UK will be happy. Northern Ireland potentially stays aligned to the EU forever (essentially). The UK doesn't control regulation and has to keep EU rules (without voting on them). The fisheries get taxed by the EU. And the London financial center keeps only basic access to the EU. Right now I can't see anything the UK gains. The only thing achieves is preventing mass chaos from a no deal scenario. God save the Queen.
    I guess it allows the UK to stop the free movement of folks into England, Scotland and Wales. Which is a big issue to some Brexiteers.

But yeah, a better deal for the EU than the UK it seems at first blush.

Get the lifeboats out! They have started to abandon ship.

Yup. Will be even worse when Brussels approves the draft deal, and then Parliament rejects it, over the next month.

Agreed.

And sometimes, the hardest shots come from back-benchers of one's own party.

It really is entertaining if you're into that sort of thing.

Thatcher and Blair were both brilliant at it. Cameron was pretty good.

Hague (in opposition) and Major not so much. Brown was just -- not.

May does okay, but mainly because Jeremy Corbyn (in opposition) is not very good on the attack.

The current Speaker is hilarious, as was his immediate predecessor.
    I find it truly refreshing that these guys can call BS when they hear it...in our Congress too many ludicrous statements go completely unchallenged.
    p.s. May not be an especially skilled leader, but I think many would agree that she was handed a problem that can't be easily solved, if solved at all. It's a gargantuan mess. Good luck to anyone who thinks they can waltz in and fix it.
    Last edited by budwom; 11-15-2018 at 08:27 AM.