Page 11 of 73 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    at least the Brits got the Euro thing right. Meanwhile Boris Johnson doesn't seem to be winning too many new fans...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    at least the Brits got the Euro thing right. Meanwhile Boris Johnson doesn't seem to be winning too many new fans...
    Yup, and Boris announced that he is not throwing his name in to replace Cameron.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/30/europe...tes/index.html

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yup, and Boris announced that he is not throwing his name in to replace Cameron.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/30/europe...tes/index.html
    Might be his smartest move to date. Become the PM and you're the man that set the sun on the British Empire. (This is presuming Scotland breaks off and NI does... something not good.)

Slink back into Parliament and you're just a trivia question.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Might be his smartest move to date. Become the PM and you're the man that set the sun on the British Empire. (This is presuming Scotland breaks off and NI does... something not good.)

Not to pile on the UK (being an Anglophile), but that ship sailed decades ago.

Saw this in Bloomberg BusinessWeek today. An graphic representation of the various EU-related networks and the member-states in each. I thought it helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post

Another interesting thing from the PM Question Time I linked -- the head of the Scottish Nationalist Party (if that is their name) challenged the PM, essentially implying that Scotland had to choose now between being part of a British union or the European Union. A few MPs asked about whether the government would step in and be responsible for the large subsidies their constituents (I am assuming primarily agricultural areas) currently get from the EU. Cameron's response -- you need to as the next PM.

There was one MP who was a Brexitier, and many in the House started to grumble him down. I swear that the guy behind him called him a "traitor" several times in a not so soft voice.

Cameron's smack-down of Courbyn was classic English. "For Heaven's sake, man -- leave!" and "if he was putting his back into it [to get the Remain votes to turn out], I'd hate to see him when he didn't want to do something."

Another interesting thing from the PM Question Time I linked -- the head of the Scottish Nationalist Party (if that is their name) challenged the PM, essentially implying that Scotland had to choose now between being part of a British union or the European Union. A few MPs asked about whether the government would step in and be responsible for the large subsidies their constituents (I am assuming primarily agricultural areas) currently get from the EU. Cameron's response -- you need to as the next PM.

There was one MP who was a Brexitier, and many in the House started to grumble him down. I swear that the guy behind him called him a "traitor" several times in a not so soft voice.

Cameron's smack-down of Courbyn was classic English. "For Heaven's sake, man -- leave!" and "if he was putting his back into it [to get the Remain votes to turn out], I'd hate to see him when he didn't want to do something."
    At least one person said that his constituents were scheduled to receive a payment from the EU and that those who urged Exit promised that nobody would suffer financially. Maybe another reason why Boris is not running for PM.

IMO, the US stock market is making strong statements about Brexit the last couple trading days. Very interesting, given the market so recently missed on the vote. Specifically, look at the way large US banks and MNCs, with significant EU exposure, are responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IMO, the US stock market is making strong statements about Brexit the last couple trading days. Very interesting, given the market so recently missed on the vote. Specifically, look at the way large US banks and MNCs, with significant EU exposure, are responding.
    After reading the boards and hearing the pundits, I thought the financial world had ended. I guess that was not correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    After reading the boards and hearing the pundits, I thought the financial world had ended. I guess that was not correct!
    Emotional volatility and panic selling always bring opportunity!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Emotional volatility and panic selling always bring opportunity!
    I rank that statement up there with maximum understatement.

Brexit and Collective Defense and Security

Another perspective on the impacts of Brexit. From a former colleague of mine at Deloitte. A good watch.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000530354

Nigel Farage steps down as leader of UKIP, saying "I've done my bit."

Like Boris Johnson, he does not want to own what comes next.

Because neither had a plan, just a lot of anger.

Sad and cowardly.

Sad and cowardly.
    Precisely. "I did my damage...now I'm running away."

Theresa May is next PM-apparent:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-andrea-leads/

Formal challenge to Courbyn also announced.

Some seem to feel that the quick resolution of the PM race within the Tory leadership means a snap election is coming. Story to be continued.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

Some seem to feel that the quick resolution of the PM race within the Tory leadership means a snap election is coming. Story to be continued.
    Despite supporting remain, May made a speech on camera soon after the election stating that the voters had spoken and Brexit must proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Despite supporting remain, May made a speech on camera soon after the election stating that the voters had spoken and Brexit must proceed.
    Yes, I think she is viewed as a "soft Remain" and a good unity candidate. I really do not know much about her but she apparently was winning fairly handily among Tory MPs.

I guess if there was a snap election, and a reconsideration of Brexit was one of the issues, I suppose the deal could get undone. But despite the close vote, everyone seems to be saying that "the decision was clear" and they are going forward. I don't think that May is viewed as someone who will work to undo the decision though.

Per CNN, Cameron to resign effective Wednesday.

Full story, for those interested:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/11/europe...som/index.html

Highlights:

-- Cameron to resign shortly after PM questions Wednesday; new PM in 10 Downing by Wed. night.
    -- May emphatic that she is not interested in a second referendum or back-door arrangement -- "Brexit means Brexit"
    -- May says there will not be a snap election

Meanwhile, the view from Labour is much murkier: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/polit...-a3293046.html

Snap election? Not necessarily when there is a change of PM. For example, Anthony Eden resigned after the Suez Crisis in October 1956 and was replaced by "Super Mac" (Harold MacMillan). The next parliamentary election was three years later.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Apparently, the plan is that the PM will begin the withdrawal process by signing article 50 of the Lisbon treaty. However, there are a number of lawsuits claiming that only parliament can authorize this, so there must first be a Brexit vote in parliament. I didn't know that they weren't planning a full vote in parliament. Also, while the PM-to-be is issuing statements designed to depict Brexit as a done deal, I have read that the more reversible Brexit seems, the less likely it will be that they will be able to negotiate the best possible exit deal with the EU. So the strong language being used could have more than one purpose.