Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1459
    Y’all going to start a Megxit thread? Somewhere the writers of Downton Abbey are breaking out their typewriters, that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Y’all going to start a Megxit thread? Somewhere the writers of Downton Abbey are breaking out their typewriters, that’s for sure.
    Look for it in season 6 of The Crown.

As reality sets in, the cost for Brexit becomes clearer. The latest projections having the cost exceeding all payments made to the EU in the last 47 years! Maybe in two generations they will break even. The level of self sabotage is astounding. At least they will have their blue passports back (although they could have had them before...but I digress.)

With Johnson's government taking a harder stance again the US on Iran and Huawei, that savior trade deal will hang in the balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    As reality sets in, the cost for Brexit becomes clearer. The latest projections having the cost exceeding all payments made to the EU in the last 47 years! Maybe in two generations they will break even. The level of self sabotage is astounding. At least they will have their blue passports back (although they could have had them before...but I digress.)

With Johnson's government taking a harder stance again the US on Iran and Huawei, that savior trade deal will hang in the balance.
    I don't recall any pro-Brexit arguments being made to save money on dues to the EU, IIRC it was more about sovereignty and the ability to control what happens in the UK without it being dictated from Brussels.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I don't recall any pro-Brexit arguments being made to save money on dues to the EU, IIRC it was more about sovereignty and the ability to control what happens in the UK without it being dictated from Brussels.
    Battle-bus.jpg

One of Boris’s promises was that the money that was sent to the EU would be used for domestic spending. It was a lie and now they have lost more for the foreseeable future.

The accounting used reminds me of Enron's Hypothetical Future Value accounting.

We're getting awful close now.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    We're getting awful close now.
    Looking to be less of a bang and more of a wimpier. Still, you can get your commemorative 50p coins to mark the occasion. England took over a quarter of the planet and three hundred years later it might be right back where she started.

https://news.yahoo.com/hello-invisib...100251497.html

Looking to be less of a bang and more of a wimpier. Still, you can get your commemorative 50p coins to mark the occasion. England took over a quarter of the planet and three hundred years later it might be right back where she started.

https://news.yahoo.com/hello-invisib...100251497.html
    yeah, seems like well over a quarter, quite the reach back then. Anyone interested in history might want to read To Rule the Waves, story of how the British navy made it all come about.

Meanwhile as I head over next week, I was prepared to fill my suitcase with Spam (the real stuff) but evidently things will be pretty normal for the next 11 months while the trade bickering begins. Don't want to hear about them running out of Yorkshire pudding..

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, seems like well over a quarter, quite the reach back then. Anyone interested in history might want to read To Rule the Waves, story of how the British navy made it all come about.

Meanwhile as I head over next week, I was prepared to fill my suitcase with Spam (the real stuff) but evidently things will be pretty normal for the next 11 months while the trade bickering begins. Don't want to hear about them running out of Yorkshire pudding..
    I am headed to Hawaii today so I can stock up on Spam.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Awwwwwww . . . SEE ‘YA!!!!!

Some of the British do not like being ruled by bureaucrats in Brussels, just as some of us don't like being ruled by bureaucrats in Washington. It's called the administrative state.

Europe as a Westernized society is on the way out. I have every confidence it will happen at some point after we're all gone. Angela Merkel is the architect.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    Some of the British do not like being ruled by bureaucrats in Brussels, just as some of us don't like being ruled by bureaucrats in Washington. It's called the administrative state.

Europe as a Westernized society is on the way out. I have every confidence it will happen at some point after we're all gone. Angela Merkel is the architect.
    The difference is Washington is the US capital. Brussels is not the UK capital.

Some of the British do not like being ruled by bureaucrats in Brussels
    . . . And the Irish laugh.

(agree with your comments)

The running joke in Europe is if you can’t get a law passed in your own country become a MEP and get it passed in the entire zone.

On a side note, the first repercussions: Austria, Germany, and Slovenia have confirmed they will not extradite fugitives during the transition period. It’s little unexpected things like this that will be maddening.

One question I have had over the long course of this soap opera is why the European Union was not prepared for this eventuality. The right to leave is explicit. No one doubts it. Were they so smug in their beliefs in the benefits of the union that they were sure no one would ever leave?

So it begins?

Police find a truck bomb potentially linked to Brexit Day and Irish Republican Army dissidents. That's concerning.

Police find a truck bomb potentially linked to Brexit Day and Irish Republican Army dissidents. That's concerning.
    A return to The Troubles would be a very unwelcome byproduct of Brexit. So much progress has been made on the Emerald Isle since 1998 that it would really be horrible to see sectarian strife return in a big way.

had to give this thread a bump after a week in London...Brexit per se not affecting much, but turmoil abounds...a few days ago Boris (BoJo) fired his chancellor of the exchequer to seize control of the budget, as well as numerous other members of his cabinet including the Northern Ireland guy, minister of N.I. Whatnot or something (...pandemonium ensued...he has a few VERY odd advisers...the London newspaper scene is great, many great objective articles about the moves, accompanied by many hilarious subjective opinion pieces, highly entertaining...took me a couple hours a day to read my way thru it all...good (and unusual) to find a city with multiple papers...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    had to give this thread a bump after a week in London...Brexit per se not affecting much, but turmoil abounds...a few days ago Boris (BoJo) fired his chancellor of the exchequer to seize control of the budget, as well as numerous other members of his cabinet including the Northern Ireland guy, minister of N.I. Whatnot or something (...pandemonium ensued...he has a few VERY odd advisers...the London newspaper scene is great, many great objective articles about the moves, accompanied by many hilarious subjective opinion pieces, highly entertaining...took me a couple hours a day to read my way thru it all...good (and unusual) to find a city with multiple papers...
    Thankfully, Larry the Cat has not been sacked as Head Mouser at Number 10.

(And he is a good Twitter follow FWIW).