Page 64 of 73 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1459
    The Queen is apparently in bad straights right now, family gathering in Balmoral.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The Queen is apparently in bad straights right now, family gathering in Balmoral.
    And she is gone...

https://www.wral.com/elizabeth-ii-th...t-96/20454337/

This isn't Brexit, but is British politics so it's fun to read the British citizens' responses:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...7651ce90490a2d

My favorite is by an erudite fellow named Tom Peck: "And so we must again state the ineluctable fact that a man may put his pants in the wash but he cannot uns**t himself."
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Liz's Chancellor of the Exchequer just got sacrificed over the tax policy debacle...impressively unimpressive beginning to Liz's tenure...

So, a couple days ago The Economist lamented how much chaos there has been in Truss' short time as PM thus far, writing:

The Daily Star newspaper loved that last line so much, they have set up a livestream asking... which will last longer, Liz Truss or this head of lettuce?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Stolen from Twitter:

“Liz Truss sacking Kwarteng is like a ventriloquist sacking the dummy for not liking what it was saying.”

Stolen from Twitter:

“Liz Truss sacking Kwarteng is like a ventriloquist sacking the dummy for not liking what it was saying.”
    Great analogy. It's somewhat unfathomable how Truss could have thought her tax plan was a good idea. Must be surrounded by Yes People.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Great analogy. It's somewhat unfathomable how Truss could have thought her tax plan was a good idea. Must be surrounded by Yes People.
    !!! That never happens in government!
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Or as Larry the Cat tweeted:

This now makes four chancellors in four months. Only three more chancellors until Christmas!

(Larry the Cat is a great follow, btw)

No one thought it was a good plan. It was never for the good of the county. It was a carrot to rich Tories voters (and their donors) so that she could be PM. She campaigned on it. I guess the surprise was that she went through with it instead of it being hollow rhetoric. She blew off concerns that it would break the £. Why? Because they have been getting away with it in the past. These back benchers planning mutiny knew what they were getting into. They are already trying to change the 1922 Committee rule that prevents a no confidence vote for at least a year. I'm sure the letter are piling up. Expect more Brexit induced economic pain as winter comes. Labour can't take advantage because the next mandated general election is by Jan 2025. Tories aren't going to call a snap anytime soon.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 10-14-2022 at 10:48 AM.

The betting odds are now that Truss does not survive the year:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/be...al-11665760587

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    No one thought it was a good plan. It was never for the good of the county. It was a carrot to rich Tories voters (and their donors) so that she could be PM. She campaigned on it. I guess the surprise was that she went through with it instead of it being hollow rhetoric. She blew off concerns that it would break the £. Why? Because they have been getting away with it in the past. These back benchers planning mutiny knew what they were getting into. They are already trying to change the 1922 Committee rule that prevents a no confidence vote for at least a year. I'm sure the letter are piling up. Expect more Brexit induced economic pain as winter comes. Labour can't take advantage because the next mandated general election is by Jan 2025. Tories aren't going to call a snap anytime soon.
    Hey, she courted The Toffs and won the job fair and square! Who cares what the little people think?

Hey, she courted The Toffs and won the job fair and square! Who cares what the little people think?
    She made campaign promises and kept them. Who would have thunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    She made campaign promises and kept them. Who would have thunk?
    Well, otherwise she would NOT have been invited to The Club for The Shoot. I guess it's what's to be expected when you choose a party leader in a really weird way.

Or people who are going to directly benefit from the tax plan

Well, otherwise she would NOT have been invited to The Club for The Shoot. I guess it's what's to be expected when you choose a party leader in a really weird way.
    To be fair, not sure ours is much better.

Glass houses?

We start with a caucus state. Move to your favorite state (named after a small rodent I take it?) which is 92% white and whose largest city has just over 100,000 people. Hardly typical. Then go to a state which basically has only 2 cities, neither of which could be called typical. Oh, and the rest of the state is pretty much desert or wasteland. We've been trying for decades to send all our nuclear waste there, after all. Though in their (common sense) defense, they've said "Heck NO!".

After running this gauntlet, 80% of the candidates are gone.

To be fair, not sure ours is much better.
    Actually I'm in favor of going back to cigar filled rooms...the primary system produces suboptimal results.

Actually I'm in favor of going back to cigar filled rooms...the primary system produces suboptimal results.
    How about strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords?

How about strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords?
    That could work.

I am a proponent of a presidential lottery every four years. Anyone can enter for a dollar, okay make it $10 to keep out the riffraff. The winner gets to be president and after 4 years gets $50 million and a retirement home/presidential library at the beach.