Page 70 of 73 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1459
    Yeah. I was so disappointed in them for doing this in the first place. This is self-propogated economic terrorism. On your own economy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...in-lost-output

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Yeah. I was so disappointed in them for doing this in the first place. This is self-propogated economic terrorism. On your own economy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...in-lost-output
    On the plus side, this has allowed them much more freedom in giving aid to Ukraine.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Stealing!

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Stealing!
    Was this a crypto qualifier?

Didn't see this coming. Politically, some things have popped up of late. The SNP's polling has dipped a bit but not really in danger territory. Her husband in the middle of a scandal over a personal loan of £100,000 to the party. Still this is a surprise. She's been front and center of the Scottish Independent movement but there is little chance of a referendum in the near future.

Nicola Sturgeon says time is right to resign as Scotland's first minister

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Didn't see this coming. Politically, some things have popped up of late. The SNP's polling has dipped a bit but not really in danger territory. Her husband in the middle of a scandal over a personal loan of £100,000 to the party. Still this is a surprise. She's been front and center of the Scottish Independent movement but there is little chance of a referendum in the near future.

Nicola Sturgeon says time is right to resign as Scotland's first minister
    Coupled with Ian Blackford stepping down a few months ago, looks like big changes for the SNP leadership.

And now we have rationing of fresh fruits & vegetables. Part of it is climate related but part of it is not. Brexit keeps on chipping away at daily life in the UK mainland. ASDA, Tesco and Sainsbury’s are all limiting certain products. That would equate to Wal-Mart, Kroger and Food Lion over here.

Tory MP Therese Coffey's solution: Let them eat turnips!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2287806.html

There has been positive sentiment from both Number 10 and Brussels over the Northern Ireland Protocols. If I'm in Northern Ireland, I would ask myself why would I want a change? They are literally getting the best of both worlds. The economy has done better than the rest of the UK. It might be a hassle to get some UK products but getting EU stuff is a breeze and that's were most of the food is coming from. The DUP don't understand how good they have it. They refuse to take their seats so there's still no government. This April marks the 25th anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement. That's 25 years of peace and propriety to an area that was besieged by sectarian violence. They forget so easily.

Betty Boothroyd, the first female speaker of the House of Commons, passed away at age 93.

https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/stat...972012546?s=12

New Northern Ireland protocol agreement will be signed today. It's better than the UK deserves but I'm sure the DUP will whine and complain. It's their only way to remain relevant. Hope they will grudging except it and talk their seats in the NI parliament. Tensions are still high especially after an off-duty officer was gunned down in a terrorist-related attack by the New IRA. It's a splinter group that's become increasing active.

Say what you will about Sunak but his approach of compromise and pragmatism works better than the undiplomatic bullying attempts of Boris and Liz.

New Northern Ireland protocol agreement will be signed today. It's better than the UK deserves but I'm sure the DUP will whine and complain. It's their only way to remain relevant. Hope they will grudging except it and talk their seats in the NI parliament. Tensions are still high especially after an off-duty officer was gunned down in a terrorist-related attack by the New IRA. It's a splinter group that's become increasing active.

Say what you will about Sunak but his approach of compromise and pragmatism works better than the undiplomatic bullying attempts of Boris and Liz.
    Agreement announced:

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1630275321093144577?s=46&t=Osyz_uaNlzzUV8zcSUctpA

Predictably, DUP rejects it:

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1630268128033685504?s=46&t=Osyz_uaNlzzUV8zcSUctpA

“same as it ever was”

And agree with Kdogg that Sunak’s understated approach seems better than the bombast of Boris or the whatever of Liz, and more likely to yield results.

And now we have rationing of fresh fruits & vegetables. Part of it is climate related but part of it is not. Brexit keeps on chipping away at daily life in the UK mainland. ASDA, Tesco and Sainsbury’s are all limiting certain products. That would equate to Wal-Mart, Kroger and Food Lion over here.
    I think I speak for everyone when I ask, who's Britain's Piggly Wiggly?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Hopefully there's another benefit of the Windsor Framework.

Boris Johnson’s allies doubtful he could make comeback

"Boris Johnson’s supporters are increasingly doubtful he could make a comeback as prime minister after being “humiliated” over his post-Brexit deal with the European Union.

Though allies have been agitating for Johnson’s return in an attempt to try to reverse the Conservatives’ stubbornly low poll ratings, some privately conceded the appetite among sceptics of Rishi Sunak to challenge their leader was depleting."

It's been two full days and Boris (and Liz BTW) have been silent so far. Boris has asked the DUP to withhold support until they "think hard" and look carefully at the agreement. That's after it was reported they would back the deal. This guy. He's the same guy that betrayed them with the original deal. The same guy that last week said “F*** the Americans”. He takes time off from his lucrative international speaking gigs to throw wrenches in hopes of bring down the government. Last week he urged Sunak to use the Boris unilateral bill to override the protocol as an alternative to the Windsor Framework. There's no way he's going to publicly oppose Sunak's deal but I could see him use his proxies. Luckily the deal has been well received by even hard line Brexiters. Hopefully it's another step to mending fences and rebuilding relationships with the EU. Strangely enough, the war in Ukraine was probably the first catalyst for the thawing of the ice. The second was the resignation of Boris. It took over a decade but Russia looks to have lost that battle too.

From the looks of it, it's unlikely the DUP can torpedo this from becoming law. There should be enough Tory votes without them and I can even see most of Labour getting on board. ERG is still a wild card but several members have backed it. The only thing the DUP can do now is continue to not take their seats in the assembly at Stormont. The rules of power-sharing don’t allow any government to operate without the main unionist party even though they are now a minority. They are not beneath being spiteful. This is a party that rejected the Good Friday Agreement that every other party in Northern Ireland backed. It's actually probably why they increased their power after it past. They were an "also ran" at one point. If and when they take their seats it means there will be a Sinn Féin first minister. I can see them being petty.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I don't know. Co-op is too big but it is a franchise based operation? Most grocery stores are either corporate or independent. Waitrose is definitely the Whole Foods comp.

I don't know. Co-op is too big but it is a franchise based operation? Most grocery stores are either corporate or independent. Waitrose is definitely the Whole Foods comp.
    My first act as Labour PM in in 2025 will be to bring Piggly Wiggly to the United Kingdom. Who's with me?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Marks & Sparks??? They do food, but not exactly Rural Southern... but they rhyme...

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    Marks & Sparks??? They do food, but not exactly Rural Southern... but they rhyme...
    Trend lightly. Someone from M&S will hunt you down if they understood the reference. That and try to sell you some shoes and a nice sweater to go along with your groceries.

Actually, I found M&S pre-made sandwiches to be pretty decent. Their brand of 'cola', not so much...

Fortnum & Mason is basically Piggly Wiggly with good tea.

Actually, I found M&S pre-made sandwiches to be pretty decent. Their brand of 'cola', not so much...
    Yes they are. Great for a quick bite unless it’s toward the end of the day. Then it’s just luck of the draw. My mom’s office at British Gas use to provide them for lunch many, many, many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Fortnum & Mason is basically Piggly Wiggly with good tea.
    And hampers! Do we have an equivalent in the US? Probably something in NYC, LA and DC.

BoJo just finished his first public speech since being PM. It was the usual bumbling mess. Still pushing his “rip up international agreements unilaterally bill” as the best option even though he admits the protocols were his fault. On a side note: He’s also angling to be the new head of NATO. His guy.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 03-02-2023 at 10:18 AM.

You can’t take 10 steps in London without running into another Pret A Manger.