Page 34 of 73 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    And if I may be cynical for a moment (or several decades), now is the time when moneyed interests enter the fray with desperate vigor, knowing full well that a hard Brexit's not going to be good for business, not at all. Arms shall be twisted, ears shall be scorched.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    And if I may be cynical for a moment (or several decades), now is the time when moneyed interests enter the fray with desperate vigor, knowing full well that a hard Brexit's not going to be good for business, not at all. Arms shall be twisted, ears shall be scorched.
    People keep saying this about actions taken by the executive that directly harm the United States economy (tariffs), but it just keeps happening, and I don't see the money men riding to the rescue. Brexiteers are pursuing it for ideological reasons, and it looks to me like business interests are incapable of reigning in this destruction.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The moneyed interests (at least the international ones) have already made alternative plans. The high end property market in London is down even with the pound at recent lows.Financial institutions (banks, insurance, etc) have moved work and jobs to other EU countries. Honda and Nissan have scraped plans to build new models in the UK. James Dyson (of the vacuums) moves his headquarters to Singapore AFTER campaigning to leave the EU. Then there is potential PM Boris Johnson who said “F--- business” last year. Businesses where the first to fully understand the ramifications of Brexit but could not influence the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    The moneyed interests (at least the international ones) have already made alternative plans. The high end property market in London is down even with the pound at recent lows.Financial institutions (banks, insurance, etc) have moved work and jobs to other EU countries. Honda and Nissan have scraped plans to build new models in the UK. James Dyson (of the vacuums) moves his headquarters to Singapore AFTER campaigning to leave the EU. Then there is potential PM Boris Johnson who said “F--- business” last year. Businesses where the first to fully understand the ramifications of Brexit but could not influence the government.
    . . . and as far as the future is concerned, the UK will be trying to negotiate trade deals from a much weaker position. Not only because they are a much smaller (read: less important) import/export market than the EU bloc, but also because with a weak economy after a crash-out they will not have much leverage or ability to hold out for better deals. The WTO rules are not the panacea some of those folks like Boris think they are.

yup, plans have been made, but that doesn't mean that many, many businesses don't have a whole lot to lose if no deal Brexit actually happens...as for comparisons with the U.S. tariff situation, well, I can think of one major difference...

If I have posted less on the topic of Brexit the past couple of weeks, it's because the only words that come to mind are "dumpster" and "fire."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    If I have posted less on the topic of Brexit the past couple of weeks, it's because the only words that come to mind are "dumpster" and "fire."
    “BBC reporter” Jonathan Pie explains the mood during a cut-away (NOTE: strong language warning):

Last edited by OldPhiKap; 06-01-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Don't know if anyone here is a fan of the 7 UP series, but 63 UP came out in Britain this week and you can watch the 3 episodes on youtube. Wasn't sure this news was worth a new thread, and figured any Anglophiles would find the news in this thread. I was excited about it being aired, not sure we'll ever see 70 UP. I hope so.

Michael Apted does ask a few of them what they think of Brexit.

Edit: For those not familiar, starting in 1964 they picked 14 kids, age 7, across the social strata of Britain and have followed up with them every 7 years. Kinda fascinating, at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Don't know if anyone here is a fan of the 7 UP series, but 63 UP came out in Britain this week and you can watch the 3 episodes on youtube. Wasn't sure this news was worth a new thread, and figured any Anglophiles would find the news in this thread. I was excited about it being aired, not sure we'll ever see 70 UP. I hope so.

Michael Apted does ask a few of them what they think of Brexit.

Edit: For those not familiar, starting in 1964 they picked 14 kids, age 7, across the social strata of Britain and have followed up with them every 7 years. Kinda fascinating, at least to me.
    Great pull. I loved that series, at least when it was shown to me in HS Psych class and only through 28 Up was available to us.

I highly recommend the Simpsons parody of it with Eric Idle, as well.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Great pull. I loved that series, at least when it was shown to me in HS Psych class and only through 28 Up was available to us.

I highly recommend the Simpsons parody of it with Eric Idle, as well.
    BTW, love your avatar.

"Oh Brunhilde, you're so wuvly."

"Yes I know it, I can't help it."

Agree with the poster of this — UK Brexit politics in a nutshell:

https://twitter.com/johnharris1969/s...639204865?s=21

Parliament just voted to NOT give itself power to stop a No Deal Brexit. Let’s just think about that as we head for the cliff’s edge. They essentially voted to reduce their influence!

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-politics-48613921

The EU is close to accepting the real possibility of a No Deal and it’s consequences.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...exit-on-oct-31

Parliament just voted to NOT give itself power to stop a No Deal Brexit. Let’s just think about that as we head for the cliff’s edge. They essentially voted to reduce their influence!

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-politics-48613921

The EU is close to accepting the real possibility of a No Deal and it’s consequences.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...exit-on-oct-31

One thing has become abundantly clear over the last six months:

A majority of Parliament is against any option that one could think of proposing.

And here, gridlock leads to the default of a crash-out. Hello, hard Irish border.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    BTW, love your avatar.

"Oh Brunhilde, you're so wuvly."

"Yes I know it, I can't help it."
    Thank you so much. I'll bring it back after the 2020 NHL season, unless I have a duplicate of the present one.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

And then there were five. After the second round of secret ballots the Tory leadership race (and by default the UK PM race) is down to five. Boris still has a big lead but questions about his Brexit strategy are increasing. The universe mocks me by keeping Rory Stewart in the race. Pragmatism is dead in the UK universe!! Televised debate with the final five on now.

And then there were five. After the second round of secret ballots the Tory leadership race (and by default the UK PM race) is down to five. Boris still has a big lead but questions about his Brexit strategy are increasing. The universe mocks me by keeping Rory Stewart in the race. Pragmatism is dead in the UK universe!! Televised debate with the final five on now.
    Inform me about your thoughts on Rory if appropriate, or pm me if not. I know little about him.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Inform me about your thoughts on Rory if appropriate, or pm me if not. I know little about him.
    He was on my US Open team and, although he was my best scoring player, I still feel he let me down.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

He's the dark horse candidate. He lives in the real world not this fairy tale land where the new PM will have magical negotiating powers. He's a centralist who believes in consensus. He's pragmatic, smart and realistic. He's what politicians..Tories...use to be. And he has no chance of surviving tomorrow's vote. Not in the age of Populism. He's too much in line with May, and Cameron.

Of the people running, he's said that he would not pursue a No Deal scenario. He's also against suspending Parliament (to force a No Deal) and wants them to approve any deal. He recognizes that the Halloween deadline is unrealistic.

He's the dark horse candidate. He lives in the real world not this fairy tale land where the new PM will have magical negotiating powers. He's a centralist who believes in consensus. He's pragmatic, smart and realistic. He's what politicians..Tories...use to be. And he has no chance of surviving tomorrow's vote. Not in the age of Populism. He's too much in line with May, and Cameron.

Of the people running, he's said that he would not pursue a No Deal scenario. He's also against suspending Parliament (to force a No Deal) and wants them to approve any deal. He recognizes that the Halloween deadline is unrealistic.
    Thanks, I was wondering from you first post what was objectionable and looking back I get what you meant.

He won’t prorogue Parliament, which would seem a minimal threshold of competence. And yet, apparently not.

He is also willing to extend the deadline if necessary, which again seems minimally competent.

Half of the Tories seem Hell-bent on Brexit even if it means no deal. Which seems to be a minority view across the UK, particularly in NI and Scotland and the urban (read: big business) parts of the UK. And a no-deal Brexit inevitably leads to a hard border in Ireland, and an energized SNP-led push for Scottish independence.

TL;DR — a small group of extremists will likely set a course of massive disruption and significant risk.

(Can’t spork you unfortunately, must spread comments yada yada yada).

TL;DR — a small group of extremists will likely set a course of massive disruption and significant risk.
    So true.

Yeah Stewart is the non nutter, non delusional, non Boris candidate. It's a shock he has made it to round three.