Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
I suppose not everyone will find this amusing...but everyone loves J. K. Rowling, right? Here's her recent Twitter take on Brexit:

"My mentions have taught me that Brexit is like Trump’s wall. For its devoted fans it has a symbolic value totally unrelated to its workability, its true cost or the glaring self-interest of its proposers, whereas non-believers see nothing but a deranged and costly vanity project."
Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
No, not everyone loves J. K. Rowling.
Here is a WaPo column by an American who advocates Brexit -- London is a wonderland of riches; Paris is forlorn, aged, and desolate. The population in Eastern Europe is exploding, many headed to the West. Britain is far better on its own, he says.

Uh,... Henry, Henry? Henry! Economics! Britain is prospering BECAUSE it is the financial center (centre) of the EU. It, along with the New York, is the global center of banking -- occupied by extremely high-income jobs of -- I guess -- more than a hundred thousand, and the downstream multiplier effects which make London so prosperous -- purchases, shops, entertainment, real estate, and so forth. This is not likely to continue with Britain outside of the EU and continental bankers unable to live in London as EU citizens. Paris will take its place over time. And Paris doesn't look forlorn to me.

The second reason Olsen is wrong, I believe, is that he ignores the importance to Britain of English as the global language. It is taught to all throughout the EU countries. It clearly benefits the US and Britain in world trade and banking. If Britain leaves the EU, there is no long ONE SINGLE COUNTRY in the EU for which English is the official language. Little Ireland, you say? Its official language is Gaelic. We will likely end up with French and German as co-official languages in the EU and a blurred role for English -- now the unquestioned international language -- in the future. This is my primary reason for opposing Brexit -- viva English!