Page 44 of 73 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    Next thing you know, they'll bring in some consultants from Italy to tell them how to keep a government together...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Next thing you know, they'll bring in some consultants from Italy to tell them how to keep a government together...
    Although a sizable minority of Greeks and Italians favor departure from the EU (around 35 percent, I have read), the total disarray of Brexit at one of the world's leading and most admired democracies has tended to scotch -- ha-ha! -- "leave" sentiment at other countries, such as Sweden, the Netherlands and Spain.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

And now it’s messing with video games too!

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/tech...outputType=amp

Remainer should have campaigned that Brexit would mess up the EPL. They would have won in a landslide.

After a chaotic day yesterday, Parliament is off for five weeks. There will be a lot of plotting, campaigning and bargaining from all sides. Let the horse trading begin! Libs and rebel Tories are talking. Tories and Brexit Party are eying one another. Love Farage’s opening demand for Boris to stand down 90 seats in any upcoming election for his support. It’s a trap Boris.

Seeing some unconventional proposals from Government Ministers to get Boris around the new law including:
    1) After the PM asks for an extension, immediately send another letter saying: Just kidding. Didn’t really mean that.
    2) Asking a EU member to veto the extension. Honestly, only
    France would consider doing it. There’s rich irony in that.
    3) Call a No Confidence on himself
    4) Resign

Highest court in Scotland ruled today that the proroguing of Parliament was illegal. On to the UK Supreme Court.

How many of you think this is going to end well? BoJo now thinks he's The Hulk.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...EC6?li=BBnb7Kz

I guess the question is: Hulk from Infinity War...or Hulk from Endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    How many of you think this is going to end well? BoJo now thinks he's The Hulk.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...EC6?li=BBnb7Kz

I guess the question is: Hulk from Infinity War...or Hulk from Endgame.
    Well I've always thought he was a cartoon character so not much of a stretch. But, honestly, it's an insult to the Hulk/Dr. Banner.

In other Brexit news:

1) Former PM David Cameron finally breaks his silence on Brexit to sell his memoir. He claims that Boris is an opportunistic, lying fraud. (My words, his sentiment.) Really?! The world didn't know that already? We have to read your book to find that out David? He does not apologize for the referendum calling it "inevitable." Also Michael Gove is a wanker too. (My words again, not the board auto censor.)

2) Former PM Tony Blair believes that all Brits are sick of Brexit. Really Tony?! Let me tell you, it's not just the Brits buddy. He also lends support for a Second Referendum. Boris has now had blowback from every living British Prime Minister. I do not think I've seen that in any country's history...EVER.

3) First up during Conference season, the Lib Dem's explicitly call for revoking Article 50 if they win a general election. The chances of that are slim even with the few rebel Tories they are slowly picking up. By being the first and only to call for Brexit cancelation, they officially become the Anti-Brexit party. It's a big unambiguously move to go from Second Referendum to Revoke. They might pick up support from Remainer Tory voters who could never vote Labour and Remainer Labour voters who don't know where their party stands. It will but pressure on Labour to crystalize their position.

4) Steve Barclay, the Brexit Secretary, floats the idea off extending the transition period from Dec 2020 to Dec 2022 as the Government softens it's stance. It will give them time to devise the magical monitors for the Irish border. Who are they kidding? Even in a Deal scenario that date would have needed to be changed anyway. And unless Hogwarts is real and can be called on, technology isn't going to solve the Irish backstop for years.

5) The dance continues as Boris and EU President Juncker meet tomorrow. Boris is expected to tell Juncker, the UK will leave on Oct 31 deal or no deal...even though it's against the law...and they might throw me in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Boris is expected to tell Juncker, the UK will leave on Oct 31 deal or no deal...even though it's against the law...and they might throw me in prison.
    For several days now Boris has been saying that he will figure out a way to leave on the 31st if they cannot cut a deal, even if it is against the law. He says he is going to figure out a way to do it.

I think a lot of this is posturing. His whole plan seems to be that the EU will balk at a no-deal Brexit so it will cut a better deal that Boris can sell. I think that rationale is incorrect as Europe is tired of the dance and really does not care if Britain leaves.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

^^^ Agreed.

Boris met with EU President Juncker today in Luxembourg. Boris said he can see the contours of a deal coming together; Juncker and the Luxembourg PM both said that Boris still hasn't put forward a concrete, operational proposal. Juncker said "We need more than just words, we need a legally operable text to work on as soon as possible." EU later stated that "such proposals have not been made." Lexumbourg PM said Boris needs to "stop speaking and act."

Boris is the dog that caught the car, but doesn't know what to do next. He still insists he can legally hard-crash out of the EU on October 31, but that only he and three other advisers know what that course of action would be.

EU members meet October 17-18, which is the last regularly-scheduled opportunity (AFAIK) for Boris to present his proposal and get it voted upon by the member states. Only 45 days to 10/31. (Or there, 31/10)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ^^^ Agreed.

Boris met with EU President Juncker today in Luxembourg. Boris said he can see the contours of a deal coming together; Juncker and the Luxembourg PM both said that Boris still hasn't put forward a concrete, operational proposal. Juncker said "We need more than just words, we need a legally operable text to work on as soon as possible." EU later stated that "such proposals have not been made." Lexumbourg PM said Boris needs to "stop speaking and act."
    Later in the day, Boris skipped an outdoor press conference with Xavier Bettel, the Luxembourg PM, to avoid (mostly British expat) protesters. Bettel took the opportunity to rake him over the coals and left the empty UK podium on the stage for good measure. That’s just a cowardly move Boris. Although most countries try not to embarrass allies, I don’t hold it against Bettel for not moving the press conference inside.

Now we will get near daily negotiations where the UK will continue to NOT put forward any actually plans for the Irish border.

Quick update:

The UK's Supreme Court finished three days of hearings on the legality of this prorogation. Verdict will be next week. It might go either way but the last line of questioning from the court will make the Government nervous. They are trying not to make a political decision just a legal one and inquiry about potential "remedies."

The EU are (justifiably) making increasing louder calls for the UK to put up a plan or get out. It's not their mess so the UK should be the one with a concrete plan. Apparently, Monday's meeting with Boris exposed his lack of understand of the single market.
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/eu-c...094503411.html

With the Tories hardening on Brexit and the Libs hardening on Remain, Jeremy Corbyn and Labour will take the compromise option on Brexit. He states: "A Labour government would secure a sensible deal based on the terms we have long advocated, including a new customs union with the EU; a close single market relationship; and guarantees of workers’ rights and environmental protections. We would then put that to a public vote against remain, and I pledge to carry out whatever the people decide, as a Labour Prime Minister." Although this seems reasonable, it's a big gamble for him. It's a suspiciously Pro EU stance for a lifelong Eurosceptic. A lot of Northern Labour voters are pro Leave so this seems to isolate them. At least he is picking a position: Labour's Deal or Remain. The weekend conference should be interesting.

I'm actually shocked. The UK Supreme Court rules 11 to 0 this prorogation is illegal. Basically they are saying Boris lied to the Queen. It's unprecedented but what isn't with Brexit. It's a big blow to Boris who is in NYC at the UN. In a normal world, I can't see how he could survive going forward. Parliament will be recalled but party conferences are still on going. Labour is currently dealing with their own internal civil war at their conference so doubt they will take advantage of this. This is Boris's fourth major lose as PM.

I'm actually shocked. The UK Supreme Court rules 11 to 0 this prorogation is illegal. Basically they are saying Boris lied to the Queen. It's unprecedented but what isn't with Brexit. It's a big blow to Boris who is in NYC at the UN. In a normal world, I can't see how he could survive going forward. Parliament will be recalled but party conferences are still on going. Labour is currently dealing with their own internal civil war at their conference so doubt they will take advantage of this. This is Boris's fourth major lose as PM.
    Advantage, Lib Dems? They seem to have the mojo these days; Tories and Labour are each divided with/against their leaders.

Speaker John Bercow’s statement — Parliament back open 11:30 am tomorrow.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/cFn0HDFheVFWYl...vo8COmiDm?t=3s

Will Boris come back from NY early? He is at U.N. meeting with other heads of state.

Bo's interview with Lestter Holt last night was...interesting...especially his (non) response to how he's different from our President.

I adore listening to Bercow. He's like the second crankiest and most gruff of eight anthropomorphic animals in a film adaptation of British children's literature.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    He's like the second crankiest and most gruff of eight anthropomorphic animals in a film adaptation of British children's literature.
    Best. Description. Ever.

Even with the stuff we are dealing with in the US, the UK still make us look pedestrian.

1. MPs returned to work yesterday after the UK Supreme Court says the suspension was illegal and politically motivated. Things got ugly. Very ugly.
    2. Johnson taunted Parliament to vote down his own government and basically called Corbyn a chicken...again. Showing that he is losing his mind, when confronted that his language is leading to death threats against MPs Boris calls it "humbug." When pressed he states the best way to honour murdered MP Jo Cox was to “get Brexit done." For context Jo Cox was an pro remain Labour MP who was murdered at a meet and greet in her constituency by right wing man shouting "Britain first." Later that man told the court his name was "Death to traitors, freedom for Britain." This is as toxic as I've seen any Western government in my life.
    3. During a private meeting with Tory MP, Johnson refuses to tone down his rhetoric. Also admits a deal with the EU is not close. I know! Shocking!
    4. Today Johnson suffered his 7th defeat in the House of Commons. It's a new record! MP's voted to reject a two day recess for Tory Conference. Honestly I think this is a little petty. The Libs and Labour have already had their conferences and Parliament tradition is to recess during these events anyway. Half the rebels voted to reject the recess. Maybe don't throw people out of the party before you need their votes Boris. As an olive branch to the Tories, the calendar of business for next week is void of contentious issues. That's probably the most civil think I've seen in Parliament this year.
    5. Johnson refused to appear before Parliament today after his antics yesterday. Who's the chicken now?
    6. On Friday, a Belfast appeals court will decide if no-deal Brexit would violate the Good Friday peace accord. I have no idea how that plays out. A no vote doesn't change anything. A yes leads to an other Supreme Court case is my guess. The EU might want to add their 2¢.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Even with the stuff we are dealing with in the US, the UK still make us look pedestrian.

1. MPs returned to work yesterday after the UK Supreme Court says the suspension was illegal and politically motivated. Things got ugly. Very ugly.
    2. Johnson taunted Parliament to vote down his own government and basically called Corbyn a chicken...again. Showing that he is losing his mind, when confronted that his language is leading to death threats against MPs Boris calls it "humbug." When pressed he states the best way to honour murdered MP Jo Cox was to “get Brexit done." For context Jo Cox was an pro remain Labour MP who was murdered at a meet and greet in her constituency by right wing man shouting "Britain first." Later that man told the court his name was "Death to traitors, freedom for Britain." This is as toxic as I've seen any Western government in my life.
    3. During a private meeting with Tory MP, Johnson refuses to tone down his rhetoric. Also admits a deal with the EU is not close. I know! Shocking!
    4. Today Johnson suffered his 7th defeat in the House of Commons. It's a new record! MP's voted to reject a two day recess for Tory Conference. Honestly I think this is a little petty. The Libs and Labour have already had their conferences and Parliament tradition is to recess during these events anyway. Half the rebels voted to reject the recess. Maybe don't throw people out of the party before you need their votes Boris. As an olive branch to the Tories, the calendar of business for next week is void of contentious issues. That's probably the most civil think I've seen in Parliament this year.
    5. Johnson refused to appear before Parliament today after his antics yesterday. Who's the chicken now?
    6. On Friday, a Belfast appeals court will decide if no-deal Brexit would violate the Good Friday peace accord. I have no idea how that plays out. A no vote doesn't change anything. A yes leads to an other Supreme Court case is my guess. The EU might want to add their 2¢.
    Hold our beer, Britain! We got this.

The view from Brussels:

https://www.politico.eu/article/brus...n-volatile-uk/

Spoiler alert, it’s not optimistic.

I've come to the concussion that some people are just made of Teflon. As we have seem on both sides of the Atlantic things that would immediately disqualify a person from public office are just washed away. I try to live my life as a straight arrow so when I see these things from anyone (and I don't care left, right, middle) a small part of me dies.

In the past week, Boris has
    • Been accused of awarding his former lover a government grant. A contract that was to go to a UK based firm not one based in California using a UK address. Also he let her accompany him on foreign trips.
    • Been accused of groping two female colleagues in the 90's while editor of the Spectator magazine.
    • Been criticized by his sister for his comments on Jo Cox. That's two siblings distancing themselves from him.
    • Been accused of sticking to the No Deal so that his big money backers will make a fortune by shorting the pound sterling.

Tory conference in full swing so expect more rhetoric to come in the next two days.

Random tidbits.

The Tory rebels squash any attempt for a unity government lead by Jeremy Corbyn. Not surprising at all. Doubt a no-confidence vote is coming soon. They would need virtually all non Tories onboard and in agreement on the care taker PM.
    The High Court in Northern Ireland dismissed the lawsuit that No Deal would violate the Good Friday Accords.
    On his continuing book tour, David Cameron, says his "greatest regret" is calling for the referendum. Really buddy? You think!

Thirty days to go.