Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Does the new law mean that Britain would have to withdraw its Article 50 declaration? I assume it's really just a roadblock that will get lifted in favor of something more definitive.
    Sage, it sounds like there is a lot of fog as to what the vote means in practical application. At minimum, assuming its constitutionality, it means that the PM has to go ask the EU for extensions in lieu of crashing out. It does not mean that the EU needs to agree of course.

What does it mean if the EU does not give an extension? What does it mean if Parliament cannot come up with an agreed-upon plan? What does it mean if an extension requires the UK to contest EU elections in May? Who knows — this whole thing was pushed through in about four hours. (Not too long ago, there was a minimum of 100 hours between bill introduction and vote so folks could consider the impact of the bill).
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    The Cooper Bill just passed by 1 vote meaning no-deal scenario is legally not allowed by British law. I wonder if any one asked the EU. Unless Mayís deal passes look for a long extension, bickering, backstabbing and incompetence. On the flip side this increases the chances for a Second Referendum.
    I hope perhaps Parliament is moving towards invoking the Oh Never Mind Clause.

I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Here's some help. An Irish guy explains Brexit (and other things British) to another Irish Guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daB7np-RtOM

(If someone can embed this so you don't have to go to youtube, have at it)

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    (If someone can embed this so you don't have to go to youtube, have at it)
    Do you see the little "film strip" icon in the toolbars when you go to create a post?

I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Do you see the little "film strip" icon in the toolbars when you go to create a post?

Aha, thanks! Looks pretty simple, I'll try that next time.

Interesting article by former Brexit supportet

Here is an interesting opinion piece from someone who no longer supports Brexit. Pretty well reasoned. Makes me a little ashamed of our public discourse.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/ope...d-think-again/

May is making the rounds in Europe now to beg for another short extension. Her toes must be hurting from kicking that can down the road. The media says Macron might hold it up. I don't think so. As much as he would like to channel de Gaulle, Macron has his own problems in France. A No Deal Brexit crash out would be a self inflicted wound right now. Hypothetically: What happens if the EU does not grant an extension. The Cooper Bill legally requires a Brexit delay to prevent a no deal. Only way to avoid No deal is to call it off then. I think that will only be academic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    May is making the rounds in Europe now to beg for another short extension. Her toes must be hurting from kicking that can down the road. The media says Macron might hold it up. I don't think so. As much as he would like to channel de Gaulle, Macron has his own problems in France. A No Deal Brexit crash out would be a self inflicted wound right now. Hypothetically: What happens if the EU does not grant an extension. The Cooper Bill legally requires a Brexit delay to prevent a no deal. Only way to avoid No deal is to call it off then. I think that will only be academic.
    One of the weaknesses of a yes-no plebiscite is that there are really about 1,000 questions to answer.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Any thoughts on the Brexit extension to October 31? Sounds fitting that it's Halloween Day .

First positive impact I guess is that OPK won't have to swim the Channel on his trip to Europe...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Any thoughts on the Brexit extension to October 31? Sounds fitting that it's Halloween Day .

First positive impact I guess is that OPK won't have to swim the Channel on his trip to Europe...
    Iíve been in England, France and Belgium this week. The only ones who seem to care are the Brits. The Continental folks with whom I have interacted do not seem concerned one way or the other.

Oh, and for dd: Iíll post some Belgian brews soon ó phone wonít do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

The Eve of All-Saints.

Europe gave Britain a lot more time than requested -- I believe Brexit is immobilizing the EU structure as well as the UK government.

Possibilities: destruction of the political parties in Britain -- the right-wing Brexit faction among the Tories has allies in Labour, including its leader, Jeremy Corbyn.

Another vote on Brexit. The majority of Labour would be supportive, as well as some of the Tories.

Or, May manages to build a majority vote for the current deal.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Iíve been in England, France and Belgium this week. The only ones who seem to care are the Brits. The Continental folks with whom I have interacted do not seem concerned one way or the other.

Oh, and for dd: Iíll post some Belgian brews soon ó phone wonít do it right.
    All great news. You know where I hang out at DBR most of the time .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’ve been in England, France and Belgium this week. The only ones who seem to care are the Brits. The Continental folks with whom I have interacted do not seem concerned one way or the other.

Oh, and for dd: I’ll post some Belgian brews soon — phone won’t do it right.
    Hope you are having a good time.

I think a lot of people in Europe don’t understand the full ramifications of it. Most of the Brits didn’t until it was staring them directly in the face. They will not feel the impact until after Brexit (and hopefully never ��)

I look forward to a few months of relief and then to relive this mess around Labor Day.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    May manages to build a majority vote for the current deal.
    I find this the least likely outcome. I think May and Corbyn may reach some kind of agreement but there will still be too much dissent among MPs to get it passed. She will then call for a new general election to see if she can find a parliament that will back her or just put someone else in charge and scuttle the whole thing.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.