Page 53 of 73 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1459
    Head of UK legal Department resigns over Boris’ threat:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...source=twitter

I agree with Kdogg that Boris is likely bluffing by having this plan leaked out, but it seems very ham-handed at best. The government did some serious walking back yesterday and the EU was not amused.

It will be interesting to see what “clarifications” to the Withdrawal Agreement come out tomorrow.

I live in the worst timeline!

Lord where to begin.

We know Boris is threatening to rip up parts of the Withdrawal agreement HE SIGNED. I still think it's a bluff. Then he spends Saturday accusing the EU of being a threat to the integrity of the UK. This from the man that threw N. Ireland under the bus to get Brexit. Now he claims "serious misunderstanding in Brussels about the terms of the agreement." and""completely contrary to the letter and the spirit of the Good Friday Agreement because undermining the Union would seriously endanger peace and stability in Northern Ireland." Having read the damn thing, it was clear as day this was possible and likely. Two former PMs hit back.

"We disagree," former prime ministers Tony Blair and John Major, who led Britain through historic peace talks in the 1990s, retorted in the Sunday Times.

"The government's action does not protect the (1998) Good Friday Agreement -- it imperils it," they wrote in a joint opinion piece, calling Johnson's claims to have only belatedly unearthed problems in the EU treaty "nonsense".

"As the world looks on aghast at the UK -- the word of which was once accepted as inviolable -- this government's action is shaming itself and embarrassing our nation."

Also looks like Boris has been ignoring the Tory MPs this summer. Now some of the back benchers are not happy and Conservative rebels want Theresa May to lead a Brexit rebellion against Boris Johnson's plan to break international law and rip up his deal with the EU. Not going to happen you fools. We are seeing parallels between Boris and Trump and divergence between Tory MPs and GOP Senators/Reps.

Additionally, many influential backbench MPs like David Davis, Jeremy Hunt, and Greg Clarke do not appear likely to be elevated to frontbench positions in an administration that values loyalty above talent. They may accordingly be more inclined to vote according to their consciences on issues like Brexit and coronavirus restrictions.
    The UK did sign it's first major post-Brexit deal with Japan. It has the potential to boost UK GDP by 0.07%. Yay

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Lord where to begin.

We know Boris is threatening to rip up parts of the Withdrawal agreement HE SIGNED. I still think it's a bluff. Then he spends Saturday accusing the EU of being a threat to the integrity of the UK. This from the man that threw N. Ireland under the bus to get Brexit. Now he claims "serious misunderstanding in Brussels about the terms of the agreement." and""completely contrary to the letter and the spirit of the Good Friday Agreement because undermining the Union would seriously endanger peace and stability in Northern Ireland." Having read the damn thing, it was clear as day this was possible and likely. Two former PMs hit back.

Also looks like Boris has been ignoring the Tory MPs this summer. Now some of the back benchers are not happy and Conservative rebels want Theresa May to lead a Brexit rebellion against Boris Johnson's plan to break international law and rip up his deal with the EU. Not going to happen you fools. We are seeing parallels between Boris and Trump and divergence between Tory MPs and GOP Senators/Reps.

The UK did sign it's first major post-Brexit deal with Japan. It has the potential to boost UK GDP by 0.07%. Yay
    I assume most/all folks on this thread realize that Major is a Tory and Blair is Labour, but a stunning cross-party rebuke.

David Cameron, meanwhile, continues to wallow in shame at home.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I assume most/all folks on this thread realize that Major is a Tory and Blair is Labour, but a stunning cross-party rebuke.

David Cameron, meanwhile, continues to wallow in shame at home.
    Pardon, Cameron joined Blair, Major, May and Brown in voicing opposition or concern:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-b...-idUKKBN2650LE

Procedural vote tonight to move the legislation along; at least one member of leadership has resigned today over the bill.

Pardon, Cameron joined Blair, Major, May and Brown in voicing opposition or concern:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-b...-idUKKBN2650LE

Procedural vote tonight to move the legislation along; at least one member of leadership has resigned today over the bill.
    Does that make Cameron the Susan Collins of the UK? (hopefully I can get away with that in this thread....if not, carry on!)

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Does that make Cameron the Susan Collins of the UK? (hopefully I can get away with that in this thread...if not, carry on!)
    AFAIK, there was no rubbing of hands though.

AFAIK, there was no rubbing of hands though.
    The politically attuned Mainiacs I know seem convinced she's going down in November, but ya never know.

Looks like the EU will blink first.

Brexit trade deal is within reach, says Michel Barnier.

I will refrain from comments regarding the French, surrender and white flags. I just want in on the Faucian bargain Boris has. He keeps falling up.

I will refrain from comments regarding the French, surrender and white flags. I just want in on the Faucian bargain Boris has. He keeps falling up.
    Boris made a bargain with our own Doctor (Anthony) Fauci? Uh oh. Trump can't be happy about that.

Please, please refraineth not! Unlease the humor, if not the wrath, of Lord Nellie! This really is quite a tale...

Well with the elections over, I now turn my attention to Brexit. Biden’s win will put pressure on Boris to come to an agreement. Without Trump, there is no one talking up a USA/UK trade deal. The new administration will not look kindly on anything that compromises the Good Friday Agreement. The U.K. and EU are down to fish and regulations to hammer out. Effective deadline will be Nov 15.

Brexit engineer and Boris advisor Dominic Cummings resigned last night. Good! It seems he left before being pushed out. One less loud hard core no deal voice in the room.

Brexit engineer and Boris advisor Dominic Cummings resigned last night. Good! It seems he left before being pushed out. One less loud hard core no deal voice in the room.
    Good news for the sane world.

Good news for the sane world.
    really...what an odious cretin he was...

How will Biden’s election impact Brexit? Well — Boris’ plan to just screw the Republic of Ireland seems doomed:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/im-ir...b6f21920dc63f4

I came for the relatable content, but I stayed for Union Jack's monocle.

Boris headed to Brussels in the next few days — deal or no deal time is here for a trade agreement.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-12-07/...-to-reach-deal

That's the cliff's edge fast approaching.

Negotiations not going well. Sunday set as a hard deadline. Did I mention we live in the Darkest Timeline.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-the-papers-55254142

Who knew that one of my very favorite meals (Dover sole) would be a prime sticking point in this mess?