Page 59 of 73 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1459
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I don't think Liz Cheney has given up on America yet, has she? Or did you mean the Queen?
    Liz Truss. She is the current Foreign Secretary. Her and Rishi Sunak are (were?) the rising Tories that would have the inside track to replace Boris. So Boris appointed her to Foreign Secretary which is a bit of a Kobayashi Maru. She hasn't flamed out yet but we are just getting into the Northern Ireland Protocols and EU trading. Rishi, on the other hand, has had his golden boy image tarnished by recent events. Nothing truly scandalous but optically bad. His wife, who is still an Indian National and multi millionaire, was registered as non-dom status so she didn't pay UK taxes on non UK income. India doesn't allow dual citizenship so she would have to give it up to become a UK citizenship. It's pretty hard to get back so I'm actually fine with that. She voluntary withdrew the status anyway so will pay UK taxes on her global income going forward. Then there was the issue of Rishi maintaining his US Green card until last year. Technically, that means you are a permanent resident of the US and on the path to citizenship. I understand why he had it but not why he kept it after he became an MP like seven years ago.

some great reminiscences of Dominic Cummings lately, what a buffoon...

Let the chicanery begin!

UK reveals plans to ditch parts of EU Brexit deal.

It's like they are trying to line item veto the parts that everyone told them were untenable that they agreed to anyway.

Boris on the ropes

Time could well be running out on Boris:https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/06/uk/bo...ntl/index.html

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Time could well be running out on Boris:https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/06/uk/bo...ntl/index.html
    "with MP after MP lambasting his dishonesty, accusing him of eroding standards in public life, and urging him to step down for the good of the country."
    I'm jealous.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    He doesn’t even want to be there. He hasn’t for a long time but he will still resist to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    He doesn’t even want to be there. He hasn’t for a long time but he will still resist to the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm jealous.
    Rats and sinking ships. They knew who he was before becoming PM. He’s just not useful anymore. It’s also probably harder to cash rubies so then found religion.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Borexit?

Just watched his resignation speech...

If you had July 7, 2022 as the date Boris Johnson would say, "Them's the breaks..." in a speech, please take your ticket to the payout window.

Now that he has resigned, comes the battle over whether he should stay on as caretaker prime minister until a new Conservative MP takes over (likely in more than a month).

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

If you had July 7, 2022 as the date Boris Johnson would say, "Them's the breaks..." in a speech, please take your ticket to the payout window.

Now that he has resigned, comes the battle over whether he should stay on as caretaker prime minister until a new Conservative MP takes over (likely in more than a month).

Yeah, that was a weird line.

Is Liz Truss the favorite?

He has to play the character until the very end. He's an Eton and Oxford educated former journalist. He knows what he is doing. He chose those words to appeal to his supporters which are still numerous.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yeah, that was a weird line.

Is Liz Truss the favorite?
    Her, Rishi Sunak (the minister who started the exodus), Ben Wallace (the current defense minister whose profile has increased with the war in Ukraine) are tier one.
    Tier two would be Penny Mordaunt (a very strong maybe because of the Pro Brexit bona fides), Dominic Raab (not likely), Sajid Javid (not likely)

I'm tickled that post Brexit about 40% of the pool is South Asian. I don't think they will win but the UK has come along way from the days of "No Coloureds or Dogs Allow" of my father's time.

I think Raab just said he will not stand as a candidate. That may open up a slot for him as interim PM though if Boris is forced out before a replacement is named.

This seems about right.

Thanks to Hugh Grant for the suggestion and Steve Bray for the follow up. Bray has become is a protesting fixture in from of Westminster. They actually passed a bill to basically stop him using his amp. He's just paying the fines.

The great Jonathan Pie chimes in...

warning, some salty language
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The great Jonathan Pie chimes in...

warning, some salty language
    Love this guy.

I wish he would lose the British restraint and really say what he feels.

"A Shakespearean tragedy written by monkeys on typewriters." BWAH HA HA HA HA HA!!! That probably explains why I keep having trouble with the third act of Othello. I've played Iago twice and I can still recall one Director yelling from the wings in final dress "It's not a metaphor for anything! It's just a f**king handkerchief! FOR GOD'S SAKE GET ON WITH IT!!" He has a point, by the end of Act V it's like Guadalcanal on stage, bodies stacked like cordwood.

The field is set at 8. Big hitters Ben Wallace, Priti Patel, Sajid Javid and Grant Shapps all decide not to run. Shapps and Javid will help Sunak. Patel helps Liz Truss. I don't know where Wallace goes but probably not to camp Sunak. He could be a king maker and has had tension with Rishi. I feel he would be camp Penny Mordaunt. Also against Rishi is Boris who he blames for his downfall.

Sunak, Truss and Mordaunt start 1, 2, 3 in publicly-declared support from Tory MP.

First round of MP voting starts today with last place and any one with less than 30 votes eliminated.