Page 31 of 73 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Does the new law mean that Britain would have to withdraw its Article 50 declaration? I assume it's really just a roadblock that will get lifted in favor of something more definitive.
    Sage, it sounds like there is a lot of fog as to what the vote means in practical application. At minimum, assuming its constitutionality, it means that the PM has to go ask the EU for extensions in lieu of crashing out. It does not mean that the EU needs to agree of course.

What does it mean if the EU does not give an extension? What does it mean if Parliament cannot come up with an agreed-upon plan? What does it mean if an extension requires the UK to contest EU elections in May? Who knows — this whole thing was pushed through in about four hours. (Not too long ago, there was a minimum of 100 hours between bill introduction and vote so folks could consider the impact of the bill).

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    The Cooper Bill just passed by 1 vote meaning no-deal scenario is legally not allowed by British law. I wonder if any one asked the EU. Unless May’s deal passes look for a long extension, bickering, backstabbing and incompetence. On the flip side this increases the chances for a Second Referendum.
    I hope perhaps Parliament is moving towards invoking the Oh Never Mind Clause.

Here's some help. An Irish guy explains Brexit (and other things British) to another Irish Guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daB7np-RtOM

(If someone can embed this so you don't have to go to youtube, have at it)

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    (If someone can embed this so you don't have to go to youtube, have at it)
    Do you see the little "film strip" icon in the toolbars when you go to create a post?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Do you see the little "film strip" icon in the toolbars when you go to create a post?

Aha, thanks! Looks pretty simple, I'll try that next time.

Interesting article by former Brexit supportet

Here is an interesting opinion piece from someone who no longer supports Brexit. Pretty well reasoned. Makes me a little ashamed of our public discourse.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/ope...d-think-again/

May is making the rounds in Europe now to beg for another short extension. Her toes must be hurting from kicking that can down the road. The media says Macron might hold it up. I don't think so. As much as he would like to channel de Gaulle, Macron has his own problems in France. A No Deal Brexit crash out would be a self inflicted wound right now. Hypothetically: What happens if the EU does not grant an extension. The Cooper Bill legally requires a Brexit delay to prevent a no deal. Only way to avoid No deal is to call it off then. I think that will only be academic.

May is making the rounds in Europe now to beg for another short extension. Her toes must be hurting from kicking that can down the road. The media says Macron might hold it up. I don't think so. As much as he would like to channel de Gaulle, Macron has his own problems in France. A No Deal Brexit crash out would be a self inflicted wound right now. Hypothetically: What happens if the EU does not grant an extension. The Cooper Bill legally requires a Brexit delay to prevent a no deal. Only way to avoid No deal is to call it off then. I think that will only be academic.
    One of the weaknesses of a yes-no plebiscite is that there are really about 1,000 questions to answer.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Any thoughts on the Brexit extension to October 31? Sounds fitting that it's Halloween Day .

First positive impact I guess is that OPK won't have to swim the Channel on his trip to Europe...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Any thoughts on the Brexit extension to October 31? Sounds fitting that it's Halloween Day .

First positive impact I guess is that OPK won't have to swim the Channel on his trip to Europe...
    I’ve been in England, France and Belgium this week. The only ones who seem to care are the Brits. The Continental folks with whom I have interacted do not seem concerned one way or the other.

Oh, and for dd: I’ll post some Belgian brews soon — phone won’t do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

The Eve of All-Saints.

Europe gave Britain a lot more time than requested -- I believe Brexit is immobilizing the EU structure as well as the UK government.

Possibilities: destruction of the political parties in Britain -- the right-wing Brexit faction among the Tories has allies in Labour, including its leader, Jeremy Corbyn.

Another vote on Brexit. The majority of Labour would be supportive, as well as some of the Tories.

Or, May manages to build a majority vote for the current deal.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’ve been in England, France and Belgium this week. The only ones who seem to care are the Brits. The Continental folks with whom I have interacted do not seem concerned one way or the other.

All great news. You know where I hang out at DBR most of the time .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Hope you are having a good time.

I think a lot of people in Europe don’t understand the full ramifications of it. Most of the Brits didn’t until it was staring them directly in the face. They will not feel the impact until after Brexit (and hopefully never ��)

I look forward to a few months of relief and then to relive this mess around Labor Day.

May manages to build a majority vote for the current deal.
    I find this the least likely outcome. I think May and Corbyn may reach some kind of agreement but there will still be too much dissent among MPs to get it passed. She will then call for a new general election to see if she can find a parliament that will back her or just put someone else in charge and scuttle the whole thing.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Brexit Update: Sames as it ever was

Well it's been over a month since the last extension and nothing has change. I mean nothing. Bicker. Bicker. Bicker. Here are the main points for those interested.

1) May and Corbin still have no agreement as Corbin backs away from supporting a second referendum but pushes for a softer Brexit. (I'm shock on both items!) Funny though, that May is apparently planning for a second referendum if talks fail. Up is down and down is up.
    2) The Tories and to a lesser extend Labour take a beating in local elections. The independents and smaller parties did well.
    3) There is increased talk of replacing May from the Tories. It's to the point where they are looking at any potential loop hole for a second no confidence vote.
    4) The government will miss their self appointed deadline for a Brexit vote to avoid EU elections. (I'm shocked I tell you! Shocked!)
    5) With EU elections officially on tap, I look forward to the circus coming to town with Nigel Farage as it's ring master. (Dear Lord this is the world I live in.)
    6) Tensions in Northern Ireland rise as a journalist is killed by the New IRA. I hope this isn't the start of something they will all regret. The peace is fragile enough.
    7) Brexit is still a go as the UK slouches towards Bethlehem with only the hope of a new referendum slightly increasing.
    8) Sting comes out as Pro-Remain. Where were you three years ago buddy.

^ nice summary. Seems all the players are hoping they'll wake up some morning and somehow this will have resolved itself. As my old boss used to say, they've really got themselves tangled up in their underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ nice summary. Seems all the players are hoping they'll wake up some morning and somehow this will have resolved itself. As my old boss used to say, they've really got themselves tangled up in their underwear.
    They're tangled up in blue!

Well it's been over a month since the last extension and nothing has change. I mean nothing. Bicker. Bicker. Bicker. Here are the main points for those interested.

1) May and Corbin still have no agreement as Corbin backs away from supporting a second referendum but pushes for a softer Brexit. (I'm shock on both items!) Funny though, that May is apparently planning for a second referendum if talks fail. Up is down and down is up.
    2) The Tories and to a lesser extend Labour take a beating in local elections. The independents and smaller parties did well.
    3) There is increased talk of replacing May from the Tories. It's to the point where they are looking at any potential loop hole for a second no confidence vote.
    4) The government will miss their self appointed deadline for a Brexit vote to avoid EU elections. (I'm shocked I tell you! Shocked!)
    5) With EU elections officially on tap, I look forward to the circus coming to town with Nigel Farage as it's ring master. (Dear Lord this is the world I live in.)
    6) Tensions in Northern Ireland rise as a journalist is killed by the New IRA. I hope this isn't the start of something they will all regret. The peace is fragile enough.
    7) Brexit is still a go as the UK slouches towards Bethlehem with only the hope of a new referendum slightly increasing.
    8) Sting comes out as Pro-Remain. Where were you three years ago buddy.
    This is the quandary that occurs when one has a yes-no plebiscite on a matter with at least 1,000 variables.
    Sage Grouse

This is the quandary that occurs when one has a yes-no plebiscite on a matter with at least 1,000 variables.
    “You must spread some Comments around before commenting on sagegrouse again.”

A little help, please.

They voted on a broad concept, not an actual plan. There are many shades of “leave”and many panaceas that simply were not achievable as a practical matter. Many still seem to live under those delusions.

Brexit crisis averted!!!

Kidding, of course. The inevitable collapse of cross-party talks has occurred. May is leading her party into Euro PM elections with a promise to leave because of unpopularity. (“Vote for us! Because who knows where we’re headed next!”). Fourth try at the same May exit deal in Parliament coming next month, despite it being voted down three times already:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/17/uk/br...ntl/index.html

In the words of that great modern philosopher David Byrne: “same as it ever was.”