Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

2023-2024 MLB Off-season / Hot Stove

The Cubs have fired David Ross and hired Craig Counsell.

Counsell's contract is for five years and $40 million, the highest salary for any MLB manager ever, sources told ESPN, confirming a report by The Athletic.

The Guardians hired Stephen Vogt as manager, and sources told ESPN's Jeff Passan that the Mets are hiring New York Yankees bench coach Carlos Mendoza as their manager.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...rs-manage-cubs

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Angels hired Ron Washington to be their new manager Tuesday.

The 71-year-old Washington becomes the oldest current manager. He led the Texas Rangers from 2007-14, winning two AL pennants and going 664-611. He spent the past seven seasons as Atlanta's third base coach, helping the Braves to their 2021 World Series title.

Washington replaced Phil Nevin, who wasn't re-signed last month after 1 1/2 losing seasons in charge of the long-struggling Angels. Los Angeles is mired in stretches of eight consecutive losing seasons and nine straight non-playoff seasons, both the longest streaks in the majors.

Washington passes Bruce Bochy of Texas and Brian Snitker of Atlanta, both 68, as Major League Baseball's oldest current manager.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ington-manager

Here is a list of the Hot Stove stories in order of importance this year:

1. Where and for how much Shohei signs
    2. Everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Here is a list of the Hot Stove stories in order of importance this year:

1. Where and for how much Shohei signs
    2. Everything else.
    #3) How many over the hill pitchers will John Mozeliak sign or trade for?
    #4) How many good young players will Mozeliak give away for the over the hill players?

OK, maybe I could have dreamed this up on my own ... but I doubt it. I saw a reference to "baseball's weirdest half-inning" on Facebook, and didn't believe what I read (per usual, given the source). I confirmed it with a Google search that found an MLB.com article that references a minor league game played in 1890. Basically, the half-inning consisted of a pitcher facing 6 batters, giving up (in order) 3 triples, a double, and 2 singles ... with no runs and inning over. A full description starts about half-way down that article.

Say what you want about baseball ... it can be incredibly boring, but it can also be incredibly fascinating.

Edit: I messed up the URL, and find I cannot fix it on an edit. Here is the URL for the article: https://www.mlb.com/news/baseball-s-weirdest-inning

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    OK, maybe I could have dreamed this up on my own ... but I doubt it. I saw a reference to "baseball's weirdest half-inning" on Facebook, and didn't believe what I read (per usual, given the source). I confirmed it with a Google search that found an MLB.com article that references a minor league game played in 1890. Basically, the half-inning consisted of a pitcher facing 6 batters, giving up (in order) 3 triples, a double, and 2 singles ... with no runs and inning over. A full description starts about half-way down that article.

Say what you want about baseball ... it can be incredibly boring, but it can also be incredibly fascinating.

Edit: I messed up the URL, and find I cannot fix it on an edit. Here is the URL for the article: https://www.mlb.com/news/baseball-s-weirdest-inning
    In 2023, the Mets had a six-run inning without an extra-base hit. IIRC, the sequence was single, single, single, walk, walk, walk, catcher interference, single.

Nevada teachers’ union had a setback in court this week in its effort to get a referendum on the ballot to prohibit the use of public funds for the proposed A’s. stadium in Vegas. They’ll keep trying.

Francisco Lindor is the gift that keeps on giving … to the Guardians. Andres Giménez, who was pert of the return in the Lindor trade, won the AL platinum glove. He never really had a chance to win the Mets 2B job, because of (spits on the ground) Robinson Cano.

The Atlanta #Braves tonight acquired LHP Aaron Bummer from the Chicago White Sox in exchange for RHP Michael Soroka, LHP Jared Shuster, INF Nicky Lopez, INF Braden Shewmake and minor-league RHP Riley Gowens.

Aaron Nola resigned with the Phillies for 7 years $192 million.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    The Atlanta #Braves tonight acquired LHP Aaron Bummer from the Chicago White Sox in exchange for RHP Michael Soroka, LHP Jared Shuster, INF Nicky Lopez, INF Braden Shewmake and minor-league RHP Riley Gowens.
    They must be up to something.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Making a run at Ohtani?

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Without a doubt. AA has cleared 18 players off the 40-man in two weeks. Currently only 30 guys on the roster.

Or

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Making a run at Ohtani?
    Or Yamamoto. He's an impressive talent and only 25.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Or Yamamoto. He's an impressive talent and only 25.
    Oh. I am unaware of him really.

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Oh. I am unaware of him really.
    I was too, until I read Grant Brisbee's piece explaining why the Giants should sign him:

"His ERA that season [2020] was a ghastly 2.20, which is more than a half-run worse than his career ERA. The only time he had a worse ERA was his rookie season, when he was 18 years old. He had an unseemly 2.35 ERA that season in 13 appearances.

Again, those are his worst seasons.

That 2.20 ERA in 2020 is the only time his ERA has been over 2.00 in the past five seasons. Over the past three seasons, he’s pitched 557 2/3 innings, with an ERA of 1.42. Not a typo. Last season, he allowed two home runs in 171 innings. Also not a typo. Justin Verlander allowed 36 home runs in his Cy Young season of 2019. Yamamoto has allowed 36 home runs in his seven-season career."

https://theathletic.com/5044560/2023...agent-profile/ [behind a paywall, unfortunately]

And he's only 25. Only throws mid-90s (I know, how unimpressive), but has a splitter that is apparently fantastic.

Lance Lynn returning to Cardinals

Right-hander Lance Lynn and the St. Louis Cardinals agreed on a one-year contract with a club option that guarantees $10 million and reunites the 36-year-old with the team that drafted him a decade and a half ago, sources familiar with the deal told ESPN on Monday.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ch-1-year-deal

Right-hander Lance Lynn and the St. Louis Cardinals agreed on a one-year contract with a club option that guarantees $10 million and reunites the 36-year-old with the team that drafted him a decade and a half ago, sources familiar with the deal told ESPN on Monday.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ch-1-year-deal
    Mozeliak once again signing an over the hill (37 years old) pitcher. Lynn who has been a good pitcher in his career had a terrible season last year. In 183 innings he gave up 44 homeruns with a 5.73 ERA. He did have a 7-2 record, 4.36 ERA with the Dodgers after being traded by the White Sox to the Dodgers. However, in the 3rd game of the Dodger-D-Backs playoffs, once again home runs haunted him. He gave up 4 homers and 6 hits in 2 2/3 innings. Just the kind of pitcher that should get the Cardinals back in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Mozeliak once again signing an over the hill (37 years old) pitcher. Lynn who has been a good pitcher in his career had a terrible season last year. In 183 innings he gave up 44 homeruns with a 5.73 ERA. He did have a 7-2 record, 4.36 ERA with the Dodgers after being traded by the White Sox to the Dodgers. However, in the 3rd game of the Dodger-D-Backs playoffs, once again home runs haunted him. He gave up 4 homers and 6 hits in 2 2/3 innings. Just the kind of pitcher that should get the Cardinals back in the playoffs.
    Yes this move was rather puzzling.

The San Diego Padres are hiring Mike Shildt as their new manager, sources told ESPN. Shildt, 55, has been a senior adviser with the team and was 252-199 as manager of the Cardinals. He takes over for Bob Melvin, who left to manage the Giants this winter.

Yes this move was rather puzzling.

The San Diego Padres are hiring Mike Shildt as their new manager, sources told ESPN. Shildt, 55, has been a senior adviser with the team and was 252-199 as manager of the Cardinals. He takes over for Bob Melvin, who left to manage the Giants this winter.
    The Cards are doubling down, signing Kyle Gibson as well. Gibson's peripheral numbers the last couple of years suggest he could be better than his results (so more mediocre than bad), but at 36 the best one could reasonably hope for from him is mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The Cards are doubling down, signing Kyle Gibson as well. Gibson's peripheral numbers the last couple of years suggest he could be better than his results (so more mediocre than bad), but at 36 the best one could reasonably hope for from him is mediocre.
    Yeah he’s mainly going to eat innings I would think. He did start 33 games last year and threw 192 innings which is pretty good. Definitely a back of the rotation guy that hopefully can throw lots of innings next year and keep the team in the games he starts.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    So far, these two signings tell me that the Cards better score plenty of runs next season. The rotation now looks like this: Mikolas, Matz, Lynn, Gibson and one of Liberatore, Thompson and one or two of the young arms gained at the trade deadline. Not exactly the off season I hoped for. I would like to see the team pick up Montgomery in a FA signing, but his agent is Boras, and he likes to have his clients wait it out to get the biggest paycheck. Can't blame him.