Page 26 of 73 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Yup. Born in London. Raised in the Carolinas. I’m still a dual national. My family is a product of the British Empire. It’s been close to a 100 years since we’ve had a generation born on the same continent. We moved here when I was two but that was close to fourty years ago.
    "The sun never sets on the Kdogg Empire"

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    "The sun never sets on the Kdogg Empire"
    😀. That made me laugh. Thanks.

PM May's plan to have a third vote on her plan ruled improper by the Speaker and will not be heard. The Speaker cited procedural rules going back over the centuries as the basis of his ruling. Best tweet I have seen on it:

"Parliament being forced to obey a UK law made in 1604 is the most Brexit thing ever."

Absent some last-minute thing on the English side of the Channel, I think the next real move is in Brussels Thursday -- to see whether the EU will agree to an extension or not (and if so, for how long). As best I can tell, all signs point towards a short extension being fairly simple to get while a longer one has mixed views and problems.

I have no feel for how the EU Council will handle this.

1) They want to send a message to UK MPs to back May’s Deal. This would be their best solution to a Brexit happening. Pro Extension. Even maybe a pro short one.

2) They NEED to send a message to citizens voting in the next European election that they are strong and not to back nationalists and Eurosceptics. Don’t mess with the EU. The Brits have made their bed. Know lie in it.
    Pro No Extension.

At this point there are real costs to the Continent if there is a Hard Brexit so I would guess No Extension is less likely. Problem then is length. What would give them confidence that May will be able to hammer something home in two months? Nothing! With a longer extension there is a slim chance the UK will have a second referendum and stay but that’s a gamble. Plus theres then the chance of new elections and starting from square one. Do they really want two more years of uncertainty? It’s already cost so much not knowing. I really don’t know how this plays out.

I still cling to the pipe dream of vetoed extension forcing May to cancel this. Eleven more days.

I have no feel for how the EU Council will handle this.

1) They want to send a message to UK MPs to back May’s Deal. This would be their best solution to a Brexit happening. Pro Extension. Even maybe a pro short one.

2) They NEED to send a message to citizens voting in the next European election that they are strong and not to back nationalists and Eurosceptics. Don’t mess with the EU. The Brits have made their bed. Know lie in it.
    Pro No Extension.

At this point there are real costs to the Continent if there is a Hard Brexit so I would guess No Extension is less likely. Problem then is length. What would give them confidence that May will be able to hammer something home in two months? Nothing! With a longer extension there is a slim chance the UK will have a second referendum and stay but that’s a gamble. Plus theres then the chance of new elections and starting from square one. Do they really want two more years of uncertainty? It’s already cost so much not knowing. I really don’t know how this plays out.

I still cling to the pipe dream of vetoed extension forcing May to cancel this. Eleven more days.
    I don’t have a feel either but think your analysis is right.

If there is a short extension (I heard the EU negotiator refer to this as a “mere administrative extension”) would make sense so long as it concludes before the next EU elections which I think are in May. By that time, the U.K. either has to be voting in EU elections or not.

Forcing the U.K. to choose between no-deal or cancelling on short notice is high-risk. And I think the U.K. would somehow take this as an affront from the EU (even though this problem is squarely in the lap of the U.K.) and would no-deal it. Especially since most of May’s cabinet would resign if she tried to cancel Brexit.

French trolling

France’s European Affairs Minister says she now calls her cat “Brexit.”

“He wakes me up every morning meowing to death because he wants to go out, and then when I open the door he stays put, undecided, and then glares at me when I put him out.” Nathalie Loiseau said in an interview given to Le Journal du Dimanche
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

“He wakes me up every morning meowing to death because he wants to go out, and then when I open the door he stays put, undecided, and then glares at me when I put him out.” Nathalie Loiseau said in an interview given to Le Journal du Dimanche
    That's great.

I saw something on Facebook awhile ago, saying:

An Irish Exit is when someone sneaks out of the room without saying goodbye.

An English Exit is when someone loudly declares that they are leaving; stands in the doorway; and then passes in and out of the room while muttering angrily.

(Yes, it was an Irish page. Another from it said: If Theresa May was PM in 1921, we would have gotten Wales as well as Northern Ireland)

Reminds me of why Terry Holland named his dog "dean."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

So May bows to pressure from the Leavers and will only ask the EU for a short extension. On the other side of the the Channel, Jean-Claude Juncker says more than likely the EU will not decide anything this week. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

On the other side of the the Channel, Jean-Claude Juncker says more than likely the EU will not decide anything this week. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
    Meh. Brexit is still nine days away. Why rush?

It's not like there is any urgency in determining the fate of the seventh largest economy in the world or anything. Take your time, enjoy your tea. Savor the national pasties of your respective homelands.

It's not like there is any urgency in determining the fate of the seventh largest economy in the world or anything. Take your time, enjoy your tea. Savor the national pasties of your respective homelands.
    Um, that should be "pastRies" -- sorry

Yeah, not gonna let you get away with that one!!

Enjoy!!

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

LOL.

I've said it before but let me say it again. The mood in the general public is so British. "Keep Calm and Carry On. There will be some problem but we'll make due." I don't know if they realize the impact of this...still.

Enjoy!!

Not so fast you two:

220px-Cornish_pasties_at_Cornish_bakehouse.jpg

There are two definitions for this word/subject/topic.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Enjoy!!

"England is always close to my heart."

AP is reporting that EU will agree to a 3 month Brexit extension with conditions. One of those conditions is a positive vote on May's plan:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-ma...085952259.html
    "There can BE only one."

May is delivering a televised address at 430pm ET... some talk she may be resigning. Hard to know what happens at this point.

I can’t see what a resignation does unless she makes it contingent on her deal passing OR she cancels Brexit on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    AP is reporting that EU will agree to a 3 month Brexit extension with conditions. One of those conditions is a positive vote on May's plan:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-ma...085952259.html
    Well that's pretty harsh of them, considering that A) That deal lost by over 100 votes a week or so ago and B) Didn't the Speaker of the House of Commons has already ruled out a third vote. Talk about hardball...

What the hell was that? She just restated what she’s been saying for two weeks and it’s Parliament’s fault. Well you can’t whip your members in line. That’s on you lady. At this point I think everyone (May, the MPs, the EU, France) is just playing a high stakes poker game with every one holding a pair of twos. They are all bluffing and heading for the No Deal cliff.