Page 40 of 73 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I hate to say this...no, I hate to think it at all, but I've moved from my worried-about-remainers-and-low-income-Britons phase to my Utter Schadenfreude phase. I'm eager to see how thoroughly this inane nativist fit of pique runs their economy into the ground. Let's get this grotesque party started.
    If I wasn’t directly affected, I would feel the same way. They have made their bed, now lie in it! It would be a wonderful train wreck to watch. Problem is, like things in the US, there is direct impact for me. The only positive is that it will be a lot cheaper to visit London. I wonder what happens to the Leavers superiority complex when the Pound falls below the Euro.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    If I wasn’t directly affected, I would feel the same way. They have made their bed, now lie in it! It would be a wonderful train wreck to watch. Problem is, like things in the US, there is direct impact for me. The only positive is that it will be a lot cheaper to visit London. I wonder what happens to the Leavers superiority complex when the Pound falls below the Euro.
    "'tis only a flesh wound, I've had worse."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    "'tis only a flesh wound, I've had worse."
    With the EU as Arthur riding away...”You’re a looney.”

With the EU as Arthur riding away...”You’re a looney.”
    "You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Kdogg again."

^ My kid was just quoting same scene at dinner.

I think the best time to tourist to the UK is like late September-early October? Before trade gets seriously disrupted, but with the currency dropping further leading up to No Deal.

I am sorry, Kdogg. It's a hell of a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    ^ My kid was just quoting same scene at dinner.
    Smart kid. AND good parenting on display.

As a proud Irish American, I join you in chortling at how the hubris of The Empire is leading to its own diminishment.

But then when I think about how this is really gonna screw Ireland and perhaps threaten the peace there, I lose some of my zeal.

Ying, yang I guess. Erin go Bragh.
    And on cue — Boris willing to force no deal to screw Ireland, banking that the EU won’t let that happen:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1V222J

Wanker wanker wanker.

The Speaker will oppose any effort by Boris to close Parliament:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1V323M

If there ever was a headline guaranteed to make you click to read the story: 15 Orangutans who look like Boris Johnson.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The Speaker will oppose any effort by Boris to close Parliament:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1V323M
    The resistance continues! Bercow controls the agenda so that's a plus.

Old school Tory Philip Hammond will also try to thwart No Deal. That's also a plus. If Labour is willing, there's the making of a coalition to stop No Deal. The Libs would be a willing partners as would SNP, and the Greens. Strange times make for strange bed feloows.

https://news.yahoo.com/hammond-warns...084937683.html

US Speaker of the House threatens to derail any US/UK trade deal if Ireland is harmed days after John Bolton says the US will be "first in line for a trade deal" - Go Brexit. Someone should tell him the UK already has a few deals deals done for a post Brexit world. The US wold be like 6th in line. Also the terms will be in the US's favor because the UK will be desperate. You know, the UK might not have as many enemies as in the past, but they sure do have fewer reliable friend than anytime in my life. The US Congress's threat should be getting more coverage. Leavers are banking on a US trade deal to cushion any departure from the EU.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49348062

And because Boris is taking his mantle of the "Hardest Brexitter," Nigel Farage goes to Australia and insults a dead old lady (the Queen Mother!) and a few other royals. Look at me! Look at me! It should be noted he went after the Queen's mother, son and grandson but had the sense (fear?) not to go after her.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...er-cpac-brexit

And in an bizarre event, Boris hosted the first Peoples PMQ where his answers are live but the questions are pre-selected and filtered ahead of time. What's the point? It's even a bad attempt at propaganda because the comments section was blisteringly critical. I think it's still a few weeks away from the real thing. Also I feel whenever Boris says "our European friends" he would include "bless their hearts" if he was from the South.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 08-14-2019 at 01:03 PM.

EU rejects Boris' proposal to leave without a back-stop (essentially, agree to agree on something in the future), calling it "misleading," "inaccurate" and stating that it is "not proposing realistic alternatives."

72 days until the current withdrawal deadline.

Bo finding that governing is a wee bit tougher than turd flinging, his previous occupation.

EU rejects Boris' proposal to leave without a back-stop (essentially, agree to agree on something in the future), calling it "misleading," "inaccurate" and stating that it is "not proposing realistic alternatives."

72 days until the current withdrawal deadline.
    During the very cordial press conference with Merkil, Boris actually acknowledged that it’s up to the UK to come up with a proposal for the Irish border not the EU. Thanks a big step for him. Hope it sticks.

During the very cordial press conference with Merkil, Boris actually acknowledged that it’s up to the UK to come up with a proposal for the Irish border not the EU. Thanks a big step for him. Hope it sticks.
    Me too, although my money is on Boris just blaming the Irish in the end. Because, history.

Here is a run-down and analysis of what seems to be Boris’ preferred proposal:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1VC1UX
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 08-22-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Someone just turned the amps up to eleven.

ETA — The Speaker has weighed in per BBC reporter tweet:

Bercow weighs in - 'this move represents a constitutional outrage. However it is dressed up it is blindingly obvious that the purpose of prorogation now would be to stop Parliament debating Brexit and performing its duty'
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 08-28-2019 at 06:56 AM.

Okay, I clicked on the link and Boris does nothing to dispel the myth...

that the UK has only 1 competent dentist.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    A lot of folks suspected Boris might try this move, suspending parliament so it cannot vote to stop a no-deal Brexit, but most thought he would not have the stones to actually do it. This is a big play and will likely result in a no-confidence vote that could bring down Boris' government, but it is exactly what he needed to do in order to make the threat of a no-deal Brexit real. By doing this, it truly appears he is ready to have a no-deal Brexit. I think his theory is that the real threat of it will make the EU cut a better deal. While I am skeptical Britain is capable of threatening the EU like this, I give Boris credit for going for it in such a big way.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I officially live in bizarro world. This is just shenanigans. That's the problem with not having an actual written, codified constitution. Apparently anything goes. This would throw out Parliamentary sovereignty which is the cornerstone of English law. If this isn't stopped by the courts (or a Boris bluff), Parliament gets a few days before prorogation to stop it. There's a case in the Scottish courts that would prevent Boris Johnson from prorogation. Fingers crossed.

“BBC Reporter” Jonathan Fry explains where we are (although as always NSFW):

https://youtu.be/bjghJ6Dy6Do