Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Whose cover of "Not Fade Away" do you prefer, the Dead or the Stones?

I attend perhaps an unhealthy amount of bluegrass concerts, and all the bands I follow are great at covers. Some of the best current ones are Greensky Bluegrass's covers of "Atlantic City" and "When Doves Cry."
    GD. But the '80's/Brent versions, not the crazy long ones from the '60's and '70's.

And does every bluegrass band cover Wagon Wheel? Sure seems it to me. (Great song, but none sound that much different to me -- and I did bluegrass)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    GD. But the '80's/Brent versions, not the crazy long ones from the '60's and '70's.

And does every bluegrass band cover Wagon Wheel? Sure seems it to me. (Great song, but none sound that much different to me -- and I did bluegrass)
    Wagon Wheel lyrics written by Robert Zimmerman and gifted to Old Crow Medicine show who came up with the tune. Maybe Bob will cover it now!

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Wagon Wheel lyrics written by Robert Zimmerman and gifted to Old Crow Medicine show who came up with the tune. Maybe Bob will cover it now!
    Story I heard, Dylan had only written the chorus and never recorded it (it is on one of the bootleg series). Someone from OCMS wrote the verses, then got permission from Bob to use it. They split royalties 50/50.

I think.

My favorite cover, is a cover of a cover. It goes thus...

Leavin' Trunk....'Sleepy' John Estes

Leavin' Trunk....Taj Mahal

Leavin' Trunk....Jaimoe's Jasssz Band

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I really like the "Smooth Criminal" cover by Alien Ant Farm.
    Beat me to it!

I'll throw in Marilyn Manson's version of Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This),
    and Metallica's remake of Turn the Page.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Beat me to it!

I'll throw in Marilyn Manson's version of Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This),
    and Metallica's remake of Turn the Page.
    I'm partial to Dash Rip Rock's cover of "Delta Dawn"

Story I heard, Dylan had only written the chorus and never recorded it (it is on one of the bootleg series). Someone from OCMS wrote the verses, then got permission from Bob to use it. They split royalties 50/50.

I think.
    Sounds right. I heard a OCMS interviewed on WNCW about it but my memory is shaky at best.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

None of them do. The running joke is that uninformed concert attendees always shout for it, but unless you are OCMS, you don't play it. I'd be pretty disappointed if any of the bands I follow brought it out, not that I don't like the song, just that it passed cliché so long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    None of them do. The running joke is that uninformed concert attendees always shout for it, but unless you are OCMS, you don't play it. I'd be pretty disappointed if any of the bands I follow brought it out, not that I don't like the song, just that it passed cliché so long ago.
    It's like the sign behind the stage at Preservation Hall in New Orleans:

Traditional Request ------------------- $5
    Other --------------------------------- $10
    '"When the Saints Go Marching In" - $20

Just heard onnie Raitt's cover of John Hyatt's "Are You Ready for the Thing Called Love" which I like a little better than the original.
    Bonnie Raitt's cover of INXS's "Need You Tonight" off her new album is excellent.

Favorite Tongue in cheek covers

Dynamit Hack cover if EAsy E's "Boys in the Hood"
    https://youtu.be/aeL9gagV_VA
    The Gourds cover of Snoop Dogg's "Gin and Juice"
    https://youtu.be/H4hGSR5njZE
    Richard Thompson's cover of Brittany Spears "Oops I did it Again"
    https://youtu.be/uUeD2botpxA
    I remember an album of Bullwinkle doing Simon & Garfunkel songs that included "I Am a Moose, I Am a Mammal" to the tune of "I Am a Rock," but, alas, I can't find it on the interwebs.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Bonnie Raitt's cover of INXS's "Need You Tonight" off her new album is excellent.
    She also does a great version of Randy Newman's "Guilty" and John Prine's "Angel from Montgomery"

Oh, and she is a bad-boned slide guitar player to boot.

It's like the sign behind the stage at Preservation Hall in New Orleans:

Traditional Request ------------------- $5
    Other --------------------------------- $10
    '"When the Saints Go Marching In" - $20
    Wow. The prices have gone up from when I was there. In a different millennium.

She also does a great version of Randy Newman's "Guilty" and John Prine's "Angel from Montgomery"

Oh, and she is a bad-boned slide guitar player to boot.
    I love John Prine but I always thought it was weird for him to do a song, the first lyric of which is, "I am an old woman. . .."

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I love John Prine but I always thought it was weird for him to do a song, the first lyric of which is, "I am an old woman. . .."
    Saw JP open for Bonnie one time in Charlotte and a JP fan shouted "Angel from Montgomery" before each song. Finally she stopped and seethingly said " say it one more time and I swear to god I won't play it". Of course JP joined her onstage for the encore and they played it. Bonnie Raitt is a pistol. Ask her roadie for a guitar pick if you want to see a look of terror.

Oooh, just remembered a great one... "We Shall Overcome" - Bruce Springsteen sings Pete Seeger songs. Lots of fun.

House always had some great music, especially at the ends of the episodes. Three of my favorites were covers, Jeff Buckley doing "Hallelujah", Taj Mahal doing "Honky Tonk Woman", and Elvis Costello doing "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera. I believe that I read that Costello did that recording specifically for House.

Also, on the Clueless soundtrack, Counting Crows RUINED "The Ghost in You" by the Psychedelic Furs. It was so bad, it was many months before I realized what they were trying to sing. Don't mess with the Furs.

I do think Bono did a decent job on Can't Help Falling in Loce With You from the Honeymoon in Vegas soundtrack.

And I have been listening to The Boss (and the band) playing Purple Rain in their first show after Prince's passing.

Hendrix's ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER has to be on that "awesome covers" list...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I was recently reminded of an old Monkees tune, Daydream Believer, that was done by Dan Baird.
    Baird is a lot like Warren Haynes. A prolific songwriter that has probably forgotten more music than most will ever learn in a lifetime.