Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I really like the "Smooth Criminal" cover by Alien Ant Farm.
    I actually like the Smooth Criminal cover as well. I'm not down with Sound of Silence.

I'll also second the call for Hurt by Johnny Cash.
    devildm
    Duke '03

I like all covers of C.C. Rider, better than the original, which doesn'T exist -- apparently a traditional blues song from the early '20s.

How about a whole album? Easy Star All-Stars' Dub Side of the Moon is very entertaining, complete with water bong sound effects on Money.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post

I hate almost any cover of Unchained Melody.
    I thought Bobby Hatfield's (billed as Righteous Brothers) was pretty good. Al Hibbler had a gold record with it a decade earlier.

Nah I think the slow deep sound from Disturbed improves the song. It just feels like that's how it is meant to be done.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Casandra Wilson did a great cover of Harvest Moon.

Cowboy Junkies killed it with Blue Moon, Sweet Jane.

I enjoy covers. The interpretation to another bands music style really force you to think about your engagement with the music.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Nah I think the slow deep sound from Disturbed improves the song. It just feels like that's how it is meant to be done.
    As opposed to the way the actual songwriter arranged and performed it? 😀

My single favorite rock song is a cover --Patti Smith's 1975 "Gloria"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxygqSTO1lQ

Written by Van Morrison in 1964 for his band Them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkaMVLHxzWE

Also covered by the Doors in 1983:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPDixDqAUh0

I much prefer Smith's version ... which actually blends Morrison's lyrics with a poem Smith wrote in 1970 (including her memorable opening line)

There is also the case of The Rolling Stones/Beatles song "I Wanna Be Your Man". I'm not sure who is covering who on that one -- the song was written by Lennon and McCarthy and given to the Stones, who recorded it and released it in the fall of 1963. Three weeks later, the Beatles released the same song (with Ringo singing lead vocals) .

The Stones version was more successful -- reaching No. 12 on the British charts - their first ranked recording ... written by the Beatles.

BTW: I just googled cover songs and found this interesting list:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3118557.html

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    we talking about the BEST covers?

Sam Smith - Won't Back Down
    Hahaha. I got it.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Hahaha. I got it.
    kudos to you...very observant...

also, george harrison's cover of "he's so fine" and the beach boys cover of "sweet little 16"
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

as far as whole "cover records" are concerned,

I highly recommend BIG DADDY's complete cover of Sargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band...

talk about completely OWNING the songs in different fashion, it's amazing...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

"Because the Night" -- written by Bruce Springsteen, recorded by Patti Smith, then covered by Bruce Springsteen AND by 10,000 Maniacs.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Covers! Covers can be enjoyable. Sometimes, even when not very good, they introduce you to a song you didn't know or appreciate (e.g. for me, DMB's over wrought cover of "Long Black Veil"). Often times, if you loved the original song, no cover will be enjoyable, because either it's a re-shaping of the song to match a style you don't like, or it's just an unimaginative copy. For me, covers are really most appreciated as a live performance.

The A.V. Club (the Onion's non-joke entertainment website) has a series called "AV Undercover" where bands come in and choose from a short list (picked by listeners/readers) of songs to cover. There's a lot of bad covers as a result (they don't get much time to practice), but occasionally some really good ones, like the Punch Brothers covering the Cars' "Just what I needed", or slightly incongruously, Gwar covering "Carry on my Wayward Son" by Kansas. The series is also really good at highlighting which bands are good musicians, and which ones really are not.

White Stripe's cover of Dolly Parton's Jolene is amazing. I'm also fond of Annie Clark's (of St Vincent) version of Dig A Pony.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Casandra Wilson did a great cover of Harvest Moon.

Cowboy Junkies killed it with ... Sweet Jane.
    Definitely. That's a great one.

Covers are great, they don't always come off but it's interesting to be exposed to which artist's songs another artist is moved by. If you play music, learning how to play other musician's songs is how you learn the art form.

Two Beatles covers I really like:

"Hey Jude" by Wilson Pickett (and Duane Alman)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y8Q2PATVyI

"We Can Work it Out" by Stevie Wonder
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uznnHd5thXE

Also, John Legend and the Roots did an album of 60s Civil Rights/Anti-War songs a few years ago and their cover of Bill Withers' "I Can't Write Left Handed" is amazing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnlgRQdfONs

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Jimi Hendrix -- "All Along the Watchtower"
    Even Bob Dylan changed how it played his own song after Hendrix passed. Possibly the greatest cover song ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Even Bob Dylan changed how it played his own song after Hendrix passed. Possibly the greatest cover song ever.
    "Mr. Tambourine Man" by the Byrds wasn't too shabby either

Don't usually care for covers much, but even the Beatles did them early on. One I do like is the No Doubt version of Talk Talk's "It's My Life."

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Covers! Covers can be enjoyable. Sometimes, even when not very good, they introduce you to a song you didn't know or appreciate (e.g. for me, DMB's over wrought cover of "Long Black Veil"). Often times, if you loved the original song, no cover will be enjoyable, because either it's a re-shaping of the song to match a style you don't like, or it's just an unimaginative copy. For me, covers are really most appreciated as a live performance.
    Another favorite cover of mine is Social Distortion's cover of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" (which was, itself, a cover). Talk about two completely different styles -- mariachified rockabilly meets L.A. underground punk. Yet both versions work well.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Off-hand a few random covers covers I like better than the original version:

"What's so Funny 'Bout Peace Love and Understanding" Elvis > Nick Lowe
    "Wuthering Heights" Pat Benatar > Kate Bush
    "A Good Year for the Roses" Elvis > Possum
    " Great Atomic Power" Southern Culture on the Skids > The Louvin Bros
    "No Depression" Uncle Tupelo > The Carter Family
    "Leveland" and "Wish You were Here" Robert Earl Keen > James McMurtry

"Amarillo Highway" REK > Terry Allen
    "You Never Even Called Me by my Name" DAC > Steve Goodman and John Prine
    "If You don't Know Me by now" "Simply Red > Harold Melvin
    oh no, we have to fight.

Actually, two of the best singer-songwriters out there. Bravo for mentioning either, let alone both.

Oh, and "Corpus Christi Bay" -- Todd Snider > REK. There, I said it.

Now, looking for a cover of "Choctaw Bingo" . . . .

Edit to add -- forgot that Ray Wiley Hiubbard covered Choctaw. Ah, a nice Monday evening sunset.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 06-20-2016 at 07:01 PM.