Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Remember "Drive" by The Cars? I like this cover:

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Here's a few single song covers I like:

Van Halen - "Oh Pretty Woman"
    Guns N Roses' - "Knockin' On Heaven's Door"
    Aretha - "Let it Be" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y8f-7U9G1g
    U2 - "Helter Skelter" - "Charles Manson stole this song from the Beatles - we're stealing it back..."
    Springsteen - "Jersey Girl" - too many of the young'uns don't know about Tom Waits... (and of course the Detroit Medley goes without sayin' but I'm sayin it anyway...)
    Johnny Cash - "Hurt" (no doubt the best of his covers working with Rick Rubin; beware of "Danny Boy" - ick)

And there were a few albums full of covers that introduced me to several singer-songwriters in addition to the legends:
    Nanci Griffith - "Other Voices, Other Rooms" - featuring "Tecumseh Valley", "Speed of the Sound of Loneliness", "Boots of Spanish Leather"
    k.d. lang - "Hymns of the 49th Parallel" - "Helpless", "Hallelujah", "Bird On A Wire"
    Shawn Colvin - "Cover Girl" - "Heart of Saturday Night" (Waits), "Someday" (Steve Earle), "If These Walls Could Speak" (Jimmy Webb)
    I think you would also also really like Lyle Lovett’s “Step Inside this House” double album of covers by Texas song writers who influenced him. Townes, Stephen Fromholz and Walter Hyatt are featured heavily. The title song was written but never recorded by Guy Clark so not technically a cover. This is my favorite from many covers of “Flyin’ Shoes” which the saddest and prettiest songs I know.

https://youtu.be/pqrZci0451s

Speaking of Townes, his Tribute Album “Poet” is awesome too with the Cowboy Junkies offering their take on “Flyin’ Shoes” and other great renditions by Guy Clark, Willie Nelson, Emmy Lou, Steve Earle, The Flatlanders, REK, Delbert McClinton, Billy Joe Shaver and this absolutely haunting version of “Nothing” by Lucinda.

https://youtu.be/48KVVFiL0b4

Call me mainstream, but I always thought that Joe Cocker did a great job on his covers, in his own style (Feeling Alright, Something, A Little Help from my Friends).

And, Everything but the Girl has a number of covers that I love (Tougher than the Rest, Time after Time, etc.) (LOVE EBTG)

Mainstream!

Just wanted to +1 to those who mentioned Cake's version of I Will Survive, Black Crowes' Hard to Handle, and Nirvana's Man Who Sold the World.

Would it be cheating to add a song by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes? On the 2001 Warped Tour CD is their version of Elton John's Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me, and as Tommy Smothers said about The Who's My Generation, "this song really goes, and you're gonna be surprised what happens because this is excitement... and hit it."

though this live version takes 2:20 to bring in the thrashing guitars (skipping to it):

https://youtu.be/8bYy92kaxt4?t=139

In addition to their original stuff, The Donnas did a number of enjoyable covers, and though I'd not make a case they were better than the originals, I definitely found them enjoyable, such as Round and Round (Ratt):
    https://youtu.be/E_x2YILpt4Y
    and Strutter (Kiss):
    https://youtu.be/CWIG0oNWbt4

Basically they breathed new life into those tunes for another generation.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Mainstream!

Just wanted to +1 to those who mentioned Cake's version of I Will Survive, Black Crowes' Hard to Handle, and Nirvana's Man Who Sold the World.

Would it be cheating to add a song by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes? On the 2001 Warped Tour CD is their version of Elton John's Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me, and as Tommy Smothers said about The Who's My Generation, "this song really goes, and you're gonna be surprised what happens because this is excitement... and hit it."

though this live version takes 2:20 to bring in the thrashing guitars (skipping to it):

https://youtu.be/8bYy92kaxt4?t=139

In addition to their original stuff, The Donnas did a number of enjoyable covers, and though I'd not make a case they were better than the originals, I definitely found them enjoyable, such as Round and Round (Ratt):
    https://youtu.be/E_x2YILpt4Y
    and Strutter (Kiss):
    https://youtu.be/CWIG0oNWbt4

Basically they breathed new life into those tunes for another generation.
    Your mention of The Donnas reminded me of a great cover — The Bangles’ version of zhazy Shade of Winter.

Saw The Bangles at Cameron in ‘85 plus or minus (they opened for Cyndi Lauper). Not a novelty band, they could really play.

Cowboy Junkies, Sweet Jane

Cassandra Wilson, Harvest Moon

I think it should be a requirement that every band has to make a run at Harvest Moon to get into the R&R Hall of Fame. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The Bangles’ version of zhazy Shade of Winter.
    Love this song! Have actually been listening to the Bangles lately and play this one over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    think it should be a requirement that every band has to make a run at Harvest Moon to get into the R&R Hall of Fame.
    2003 inductees Lynyrd Skynyrd respectfully disagree...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Your mention of The Donnas reminded me of a great cover — The Bangles’ version of zhazy Shade of Winter.

Saw The Bangles at Cameron in ‘85 plus or minus (they opened for Cyndi Lauper). Not a novelty band, they could really play.
    Agreed. The Bangles also did a very nice cover of Going Down to Liverpool (originally recorded by Katrina and the Waves of "Walking on Sunshine" fame).

Another amazing Beatles cover, in my opinion, is Shawn Colvin's version of "I'll Be Back."

Changes the vibe of the song completely without changing anything else. Well worth a listen, especially if you are a fan of Shawn Colvin, as I am.
    Last edited by rsvman; 01-28-2019 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Typo

For some of the old timers:
    I’m A Man. Chicago
    My Back Pages. The Byrds
    For Your Love. Fleetwood Mac
    Bouree. Jethro Tull
    My Maria. Brooks and Dunn
    I Got Rhythm. The Happenings
    Shout. Otis Day and the Knights (lol)
    Try A Little Tenderness. Otis Redding, Three Dog Knight
    Done Somebody Wrong. Allman Brothers
    The Tracks of My Tears. Johnny Rivers
    Baby I need Your Lovin’. Johnny Rivers
    Sweet Soul Music. Bruce Springsteen
    Brown Eyed Girl Jimmy Buffett
    Brandy. Red Hot Chili Peppers
    How Deep is Your Love. Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Ticket to Ride. Carpenters
    I Heard it Through the Grapevine. CCR
    Susie Q. CCR
    Walk Away Renee. The Four Tops
    House of the Rising Sun. The Animals

Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps — Cake
    Sweet Child O’ Mine — Sheryl Crow
    Africa — Weezer
    Forty-six and Two — O’Keefe Music Foundation (link to video... https://youtu.be/mYKLvYGqaC0)
    Stairway to Heaven — Heart (link to video...
    https://vimeo.com/104287711)

The Forty-six and Two cover is by kids and just blows me away.
    The Stairway cover was at the Kennedy Center Honors with Plant, Page and JPJ in attendance. Amazing.

“Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Being a Beatles fan, it's hard to listen to other people cover their stuff. But even they did it in the early days, with songs like "Please Mister Postman, Devil In Her Heart, Bad Boy, Act Naturally", and others.
    They wrote songs for others, which they recorded but did not release. Those wouldn't count here I suppose. Examples would be A World Without Love, by Peter and Gordon, Come And Get It, by Badfinger, From A Window, by Billy J Kramer, and many others..

Oh Well

In the late 70s/early 80s I grew up in the D where we had four AOR stations to teach me the history of rock & roll by audio-osmosis. During that era, a popular local/regional band, The Rockets, released a great cover of Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well - I read that it hit the top 40. At the time I didn't even know it was a cover, but I definitely prefer it to the original.

I'm resurrecting this thread because I need to vent.

I guess it's more of a reboot than a cover but Fall Out Boy's take on Billy Joel's "We Didn’t Start the Fire" is a travesty. They've updated the lyrics but it lacks the chronological order of the original so many of the juxtapositions are just awful. It ends up being a mumbled word salad of events from 1989 to the present. Now, if you excuse me, I'm going outside to yell at some clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    In the late 70s/early 80s I grew up in the D where we had four AOR stations to teach me the history of rock & roll by audio-osmosis. During that era, a popular local/regional band, The Rockets, released a great cover of Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well - I read that it hit the top 40. At the time I didn't even know it was a cover, but I definitely prefer it to the original.
    That version is pretty good, but my favorite is the Kenny Wayne Shepherd version.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    I guess it's more of a reboot than a cover but Fall Out Boy's take on Billy Joel's "We Didn’t Start the Fire" is a travesty. They've updated the lyrics but it lacks the chronological order of the original so many of the juxtapositions are just awful. It ends up being a mumbled word salad of events from 1989 to the present.
    Billy Joel wrote "We Didn't Start the Fire" when he turned 40 years old, with the lyrics recapping 1949-1989. I kind of hoped he would write a sequel when he turns 80 in 2029.

Now, after this abomination (Pete Wentz has such a punchable face that even his singing voice is triggering), I feel like Billy Joel has to do it. The original is not perfectly chronological, but at least each verse moves forward in time and groups events and names properly. This cover doesn't do any of that and still can't get the syllable placement right. A truly lazy effort.

I guess it's more of a reboot than a cover but Fall Out Boy's take on Billy Joel's "We Didn’t Start the Fire" is a travesty. They've updated the lyrics but it lacks the chronological order of the original so many of the juxtapositions are just awful. It ends up being a mumbled word salad of events from 1989 to the present. Now, if you excuse me, I'm going outside to yell at some clouds.
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Billy Joel wrote "We Didn't Start the Fire" when he turned 40 years old, with the lyrics recapping 1949-1989. I kind of hoped he would write a sequel when he turns 80 in 2029.

Now, after this abomination (Pete Wentz has such a punchable face that even his singing voice is triggering), I feel like Billy Joel has to do it. The original is not perfectly chronological, but at least each verse moves forward in time and groups events and names properly. This cover doesn't do any of that and still can't get the syllable placement right. A truly lazy effort.
    I just have a problem with anyone singing about "children of thalidomide . . . whoh-OH-OH!"

I guess it's more of a reboot than a cover but Fall Out Boy's take on Billy Joel's "We DidnÂ’t Start the Fire" is a travesty. They've updated the lyrics but it lacks the chronological order of the original so many of the juxtapositions are just awful. It ends up being a mumbled word salad of events from 1989 to the present. Now, if you excuse me, I'm going outside to yell at some clouds.
    I almost resurrected this thread the other day. Luke Combs remade "Fast Car". It's not terrible, but why? Tracy Chapman's original was near perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXmmyuIqZyo

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I almost resurrected this thread the other day. Luke Combs remade "Fast Car". It's not terrible, but why? Tracy Chapman's original was near perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXmmyuIqZyo
    I like this cover. Maybe not as good as the original but still well done. Not an easy song to cover, IMO.