Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Did he pen the lyric, "Mojo rising!"?

one to mention is Eric Clapton's cover of the Clapton/Gordon song "LAYLA", done for MTV's "UNPLUGGED"....masterful cover..

also, Alex Chilton, and he did an amazing cover of LITTLE GTO (live)

Dan Baird and the GA SATELLITES did a cover of Terry Anderson's (Fabulous Knobs - The Woods) BATTLESHIP CHAINS
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I'm definitely in the yea category. I love covers as encores at concerts and like that sometimes they remind me how good the original (or what I may think is the original, as I have learned some in this thread) song is. Thanks for the thread and contributions to it.

I just watched the end of The Music Man on TCM and I heard a great story about a cover song.

Apparently, four young British musicians saw the movie in 1963 and liked the song so much that they included a cover version of "Til There Was You" on their album, "With the Beatles" (the second studio album for the group). Here's the Beatles playing the Music Man song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTGuP_hpvWo

The interesting part was Meredith Willson's widow reported that the family ended up receiving more money from royalties for the Beatles' version than Willson received for the play, the movie or any other song royalties that he wrote.

(Note also interesting that With the Beatles originally eight original songs and six cover songs. When the album was reshaped for US release as Meet the Beatles, it ended up with the eight original songs and one cover -- "Til There Was You.")

A random handful of great covers.

One that I like because it's a nearly complete reimagining of the original: the Brad Mehldau Trio's version of "Black Hole Sun."

The best vocal performance of Tony Rice's long and distinguished career: J.D. Crowe & the New South's cover of Ian Tyson's "Summer Wages."

Best cover of a Karla Bonoff song (tie): Linda Ronstadt for "Lose Again, " Wynnona Judd for "Tell me Why."

Best cover of a Joni Mitchell song: Diana Krall, "Black Crow."

Best Dead cover: Los Lobos, "Bertha."

An amazing album of nothimg but covers of a single artist: Dave and Phil Alvin, "Common Ground: Dave and Phil Alvin Play and Sing the Songs of Big Bill Broonzy.

And finally, the cover without which no list of awesome covers is complete.

https://youtu.be/V4WGsMplGxU

Paul McCartney did a nice version of Chuck Berry's 'Brown Eyed Handsome Man."
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...&hsimp=yhs-004

One that I really like that is a bit of a shock because of the artist...

Insane Clown Posse's cover of Sly Fox's '80s classic, "Let's Go All The Way"

I've got to agree with Alien Ant Farm's cover of "Smooth Criminal". That at Cash's "Hurt" are perhaps my two favorites.

Korn's "Word Up" I love as well, though the audio quality on that video is awful. I do admit without the red bikini outerwear, it's just not quite the same

I love this topic. One of the things I think is cool is listing covers that you didn't know were covers. Here are a few frequently missed:

Joan Jett and the Blackharts - I Love Rock and Roll -> Arrows (Merrill/Hooker)
    Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused -> Yardbirds -> Jake Holmes
    Quiet Riot - Cum on Feel the Noize -> Slade
    Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe -> multiples -> Billy Roberts

A couple of good cover albums from established bands:
    - Metallica - Garage Days, Inc. Includes several gems like:
    - Blitzkreig -> Ian Jones, Jim Sirotto, Brian Ross
    - Breadfan -> Budgie
    - Plus the aforementioned "Turn the page

- Feedback - Rush. After 30 years, a cover album from a band who only recorded originals (and released AFTER a cover album of RUSH work, incidentally). Includes good takes of:
    - Heart full of Soul -> Yardbirds
    - Summertime Blues -> Eddie Cochran

- Kiss my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. - Classic KISS Regrooved. Collection of KISS covers from other artists. Includes some interesting ones:
    - Hard Luck Woman - Garth Brooks -> KISS
    - Detroit Rock City - Mighty, Mighty Bosstones -> KISS
    - RnR All Nite - Toad the Wet Sprocket -> KISS
    "There can BE only one."

Following their hugely successful cover of Toto's "Africa", Weezer dropped a new album today that is all covers. Among the covers are, "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)"," "No Scrubs," and "Billie Jean".

I'm not sure, but I would guess that the success of "Africa" was a surprise to them. I liked it but found it strange in that it sounded almost exactly like the original. I'm interested to see how they did with the new album.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Following their hugely successful cover of Toto's "Africa", Weezer dropped a new album today that is all covers. Among the covers are, "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)"," "No Scrubs," and "Billie Jean".

I'm not sure, but I would guess that the success of "Africa" was a surprise to them. I liked it but found it strange in that it sounded almost exactly like the original. I'm interested to see how they did with the new album.
    Gave it a listen this morning. They play all of the songs well, but they sound too similar to the originals. They don't do anything to make them their own.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Gave it a listen this morning. They play all of the songs well, but they sound too similar to the originals. They don't do anything to make them their own.
    I agree. They followed the "Africa" example and just sang the songs rather than going full Marilyn Manson. Having said that, River Cuomo has a very capable voice. I especially liked "Happy Together" and thought they did a decent job with "Stand by Me".

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I agree. They do the songs very well, but don't really bring anything to them.

Some of my favorite covers are wildly different than the original.

Annie - Alien Ant Farm (covering Michael Jackson)
    Hurt - Johnny Cash (covering NIN)
    Let's go all the way - Insane Clown Posse (covering Sly Fox)
    Stand By Me - Ki:Theory (covering Ben E King)
    Word Up - Korn (covering Cameo)

No one in the right mind would confuse any of those songs with the original.

The Weezer/Toto reciprocity was the only good thing that happened in 2018.

Weezer got the headlines, a career refresh, and now a new album, but Toto won the battle of the bands.

Also check out the studio version here.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I agree. They do the songs very well, but don't really bring anything to them.

Some of my favorite covers are wildly different than the original.

Annie - Alien Ant Farm (covering Michael Jackson)
    I think that’s Smooth Criminal. It’s a very good and distinct cover.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Easy - Faith No More (Commodores) Not better, just surprisingly good.

Were You Born An A__hole - Jimmy Buffett (David Allan Coe) Again, not better and since I commute on I-95 every day it is my anthem.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    "

Best cover of a Joni Mitchell song: Diana Krall, "Black Crow."

https://youtu.be/V4WGsMplGxU
    I'd agree with this but give 1st runner-up to the Counting Crows for "Big Yellow Taxi".

Worst cover of a Joni Mitchell song goes to CSNY. I'm a huge fan of CSN(Y) and have most of their stuff as a group, soloists and various permutations (even have Crosby-Nash's collaboration that featured "Immigration Man") but they flopped with a cover of Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock."

You all have brought up a bunch of great ones already. I will second many of Packman's selections, plus Metallica's cover of Bob Seger's Turn the Page, which I'm sure is not the most original choice, but there's a reason for that.

Not sure which branch of this rabbit hole I will wander down this afternoon, but I think I have my soundtrack for the rest of the work day set.
    Last edited by IrishDevil; 01-24-2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: ETA: Ha! No, not origial; Turn the Page is referenced in the most recent post predating today. Still a good one!

I like the Oasis cover of I am The Walrus (Beatles).

I may have already mentioned this previously in this thread (and I'm too lazy right now to look it up), but I think Huey Lewis' cover of the great JJ Jackson song, "But it's alright", is one of the best covers of any song (IMHO!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDztE7e9Skg

John Mayer’s version of Freefallin’ and Cake’s version of I Will Survive both kill.