Thread: Charities

Charities

I have been thinking for a while about doing some degree of volunteer work in my community, and I wondered whether anyone could recommend a charity that they've particularly liked working with. It doesn't have to be a specific local charity, since I live in Los Angeles, and we have a pretty broad spectrum of types.

I'm honestly not sure what I substantively have to offer, but I can do most office and some accounting tasks, and I have reasonably physical strength for a female of my age. I'm also reasonably certain that I can learn almost anything, if I'm trained. The only thing I don't really want to do is to teach (since I've pretty much had my fill of that for one lifetime).

When I was younger, I did a fair amount of charity work, but as I moved into my advanced degree work, I sadly let that part of my life slip. So if anyone can share any positive experiences with charity work, I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance!

What do you like to do? My sister became Master Food Volunteer when she retired and loves it. Has to man a hotline and does teach cooking classes to all ages. Usher at the Symphony or theater league? There is an organization in the KC metro area that puts up various opportunities and you are supposed to give X number of hours month but it allows you to see what is out there and what you like to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Doria View Post
    I have been thinking for a while about doing some degree of volunteer work in my community, and I wondered whether anyone could recommend a charity that they've particularly liked working with. It doesn't have to be a specific local charity, since I live in Los Angeles, and we have a pretty broad spectrum of types.

I'm honestly not sure what I substantively have to offer, but I can do most office and some accounting tasks, and I have reasonably physical strength for a female of my age. I'm also reasonably certain that I can learn almost anything, if I'm trained. The only thing I don't really want to do is to teach (since I've pretty much had my fill of that for one lifetime).

When I was younger, I did a fair amount of charity work, but as I moved into my advanced degree work, I sadly let that part of my life slip. So if anyone can share any positive experiences with charity work, I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance!
    I had a blast working in both professional and volunteer capacities for a local CDFI. They do great work in small business lending and frequently are on shoestring budgets that can really make good use of say, 8-10 hours a week of help.

Also, everyone I know raves about experiences with Habitat for Humanity.

When I was in college, I volunteered at the local Ronald McDonald House, both with my sorority and for an independent study. Very rewarding. They do a lot for families at the worst times of their lives. Also, local retirement homes/communities appreciate folks to come in and get the residents involved in various activities, whether it's sponsoring a pet therapy day or just doing a jigsaw puzzle with them. I once tried to teach four 80+ year old ladies how to play Monopoly.

I currently do volunteer work for our local public school district, state university, and boys & girls club. I also do some free financial counseling, for those in need.

IMO, the most rewarding is working with young kids. Your local public elementary schools would probably love to have your help.

I have enjoyed being a Rotarian. Ostensibly, they are community clubs of leading professionals looking to give back to the community, and membership is restricted to a single member per profession. That rule has been greatly relaxed or overlooked.

Although a world-wide organization, each club focuses primarily on its community and assists charitable efforts in the community. We tended to assist (with finances and manpower) those with the larger volunteer bases, kind of helping those who help themselves. Boy Scout Eagle Scout community projects being a good example. We found that such contributions were more appreciated and more likely not to be wasted or misdirected.

Rotary is also active on a larger local scale, having District and Regional officers and larger scale projects. Volunteers are always welcome at this level, as the time commitment can be substantial.

I particularly enjoyed the international aspect of Rotary, and have been involved in several international projects. I was fortunate to be invited to visit Lebanon in conjunction with one of the projects and then be a guest at the District Conference in Cairo. The respect with which Rotarians are treated internationally was astounding. If you like to travel, and want a good way to meet "locals," Rotarians are supposed to attend meetings once a week, no matter where they are, and local Rotary clubs welcome visiting Rotarians quite genuinely.

Yea, there are over a million non-profits in this country. In my experience, almost all non-profits are looking for volunteers. Find one that is involved in something that interests you and that you believe makes a difference in your community. I'm sure they would welcome your assistance.

I currently serve at the Treasurer on the Boards of three different non-profits. I love the work and the people I get to work with and I hope we're making a small difference in the world.

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions and advice. You brought a couple things I hadn't even thought of. I really appreciate your taking the time to respond!