Orlando mass shooting

Sadly, this is the single deadliest mass shooting, by a wide margin, in U.S. history. I want to wish those dealing with and reeling from this senseless tragedy good thoughts and best wishes on trying to figure out how to cope with what happened to them and their families. Please join me in keeping them in your thoughts and prayers. I will never understand these instances of complete disregard for the sanctity of human life as long as I am allowed to live on this earth. There are no easy answers, if there were we would have done something about this many years ago. I just wish common sense would prevail and folks would put their heads together to work toward a solution. I apologize if this is over the line in what we are allowed to discuss here. May God bless those affected by this horrible, horrible tragedy.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 06-17-2016 at 10:46 PM.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Prayers to the victims and their families.

Prayers for our Nation, that we can have a frank, level, and rational discussion of the serious and complex issues implicated.

Very sad and senseless.

IMO this thread should be locked, as people won't be able to resist politicizing.

Prayers for the victims and families, for sure. But you can do that on Facebook, Twitter, etc. or perhaps even just privately by yourself.

Better yet, wait for names of the victims to come out, and send a card to their families. That's way more thoughtful and useful than posting thoughts and prayers on a college basketball message board that won't reach them.

JMO, I'm not a mod and will defer to their judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    IMO this thread should be locked, as people won't be able to resist politicizing.

Prayers for the victims and families, for sure. But you can do that on Facebook, Twitter, etc. or perhaps even just privately by yourself.

Better yet, wait for names of the victims to come out, and send a card to their families. That's way more thoughtful and useful than posting thoughts and prayers on a college basketball message board that won't reach them.

JMO, I'm not a mod and will defer to their judgement.
    I understand the sentiment, but we have had a pretty substantial history of threads like this without them turning ugly. DBR, for the most part, is a pretty responsible group relative to the general interwebs.

If folks want to express sympathy in this forum, or in each and every forum they can, that's fine with me. It's certainly not up to me to tell them to stop.

But thankfully I'm not a mod either.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I understand the sentiment, but we have had a pretty substantial history of threads like this without them turning ugly. DBR, for the most part, is a pretty responsible group relative to the general interwebs.

If folks want to express sympathy in this forum, or in each and every forum they can, that's fine with me. It's certainly not up to me to tell them to stop.

But thankfully I'm not a mod either.
    In those other threads that were successful, did the original post poison the well? Look, I'm for a certain type of gun control that's more stringent than what we currently have in this country. But, if I were starting a "thoughts and prayers" thread, you would NEVER be able to figure that out from my post, and I would not passive-aggressively mix that opinion in with my well-wishes for the victims and families. You want to send some thoughts and prayers? Send some thoughts and prayers, and leave it at that. People shouldn't be able to figure out where you stand on gun control from your post.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

I agree; it helps some people to express sympathy when horrible events happen to other humans.

Horrific and upsetting. There are no words.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I agree; it helps some people to express sympathy when horrible events happen to other humans.
    It's possible I'm being overly cynical. This will be my final post on the matter. Hopefully this thread thrives with heartfelt sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Hopefully this thread thrives with heartfelt sympathy.
    This and only this was my intention in starting the thread. My apologies if anyone interpreted otherwise. Thank you for understanding.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Just horrible. I'll never understand what makes people decide to kill dozens of innocent people (or even one person). It's mind-bogglingly sad for those killed, those hurt, and their families (and I use the term families broadly to include non-blood family). And horrible (less so, obviously, but still quite horrible) for all those who now have to think twice about going to public places for risk of becoming another statistic.

A horrible event that just makes me sad for so many reasons. My prayers are with the families of those affected.

Thanks to the OP for giving us a thread on which to put a few of our feelings into words. Sometimes it just helps to say it publicly.

Such a terrible thing. I honestly have trouble even believing stuff like this. I'll never understand why people would do something like this. My sympathies and thoughts are with the victims' families and loved ones.

My prayers go out to the families and for the deceased. I pray for the health of those injured. It is a sad moment for us all.

Thanks for starting the thread. I, too, am greatly saddened by the tragedy, and the absolute senselessness of it all. My thoughts and prayers go out to all.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I'm saying a prayer for the victims and the LGBT community as well.

Sorry for the off-topic question, but what was the name of the gay bar/dance club in Durham back in the early 80's? I graduated in 85 and remember visiting there twice during my four years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff9821 View Post

Sorry for the off-topic question, but what was the name of the gay bar/dance club in Durham back in the early 80's? I graduated in 85 and remember visiting there twice during my four years.
    Blueberry Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff9821 View Post

The Power Company? That was the best Durham club to go to when I was in school in the 90s.

Let's keep the political discussion out of this one, please.

There are plenty of sites around the interwebs where you can chime in that way.

thanks,

-jk

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Just tragic and very heart wrenching. I watched an interview with one male victim who survived, and then a female victim who survived (she actually made it out safe originally but went back in to try and help her friend get out, only to be shot by the terrorist herself, and her friend was killed). Listening to both tell their stories was a gut check. The male also lost a good friend in the attack as well. Both of their stories and firsthand accounts were just incredible.. I can't begin to imagine...( I believe it was the CBS website that carried the two interviews if anyone hasn't seen them and wishes to. I'd advise to keep plenty of tissues on hand while watching.)

Then, we had the tragic story of a helpless two year old, in water he should never have been in, snatched and drowned by an alligator. Horrendous. I feel for those parents and the entire family. I just cant even imagine their grief, and the guilt they are likely carrying on them as well. Prayers for them and their entire families, and same for those families impacted by the terrorist attack at the night club. A very bad week for America, and for Orlando, Florida. Almost forgot about the young singer murdered by some maniac as well. Just lots and lots of prayers needed for these tragic events. Godspeed to all impacted...